Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

17 Down Under: 17 DOWN UNDER. "A celebration of moderate grade climbing in Victoria". 184 pages. 285 images. Father & son team, Steve & John Morris, embark on a journey to climb and photograph 50 of the best rock climbs in Victoria, grade 17 & under. Inc bookmark  $50.00
9% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Eastern (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Climbing at Mt Hotham

blstfrnc
26-Nov-2007
10:27:03 AM
Hiya

Does anyone know of climbing at or near Mt Hotham/Dinner plain. Is there any sort of guide to the area? If there is climbing, is it worth a trip or three?

Cheers,
dalai
2-Dec-2007
11:10:46 AM
In the Eastern Vic guide Mt Tabletop is listed which is accessed from Flowerbag plain (between Hotham and Dinner Plain) via a 90 minute walk.

Only five climbs to grade 20 and no higher than 30m... James Mc did clib there so hopefully he can provide a bit more information.
ldshield
31-Jul-2017
3:08:35 PM
I'm looking for new locations to practice basic mountaineering; has anybody climbed at Mount Tabletop in winter? If so, do you have any thoughts on the area? (It's a bit far to go on the off-chance that it might be worthwhile).

JamesMc
31-Jul-2017
6:37:19 PM
l "rock" climbed at Mt Tabletop about 25 years ago. It was about the worst climbing I've ever done. Went back for a walk a few months ago. The only thing that had changed was the brambles which had got worse.

The south east side of Mt Tabletop has a long cliff about 2Dm to 30 m high. It's very steep so I don't imagine it would hold snow.

If I was in the Hotham area and wanted to alpine climb I'd go to Feathertop or Buffalo.

Duang Daunk
31-Jul-2017
7:22:05 PM
On 31/07/2017 JamesMc wrote:
>Mt Tabletop has a long cliff about 2Dm
Do you own a 3D printer that could help him out bro?

>If I was in the Hotham area and wanted to alpine climb I'd go to Feathertop or Buffalo.
If I was at Buffalo, I'd go to Hotham as it's way higher for a start, but agree that Feathertop is likely better.
dalai
31-Jul-2017
8:41:58 PM
On 31/07/2017 JamesMc wrote:
>The south east side of Mt Tabletop has a long cliff about 2Dm to 30 m
>high. It's very steep so I don't imagine it would hold snow.

Dry tool venue?

Any pictures?
ldshield
1-Aug-2017
8:53:56 AM
OK, thanks for the info. Do you recall if it was granite, or something else?

I really love the atmosphere of the Buffalo area, but it seems to need a massive and sustained dump of snow to hold much of it, and that never quite happens. :(
jdb
1-Aug-2017
5:01:47 PM
Mt Tabletop - I haven't climbed it - but I've danced on it.........

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints