Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Petzl: D11 "Rappel Rack". For use with 1 or 2 ropes. Diameters from 9mm to 13mm. Two red fixed bars make for easy threading. SUPER Special!  $119.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

 Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 55
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Buffalo Gorge South Side Burston's Creavasse [ Gorge Guide ] 

Author
Stonking Big Offwidth Finish to Caligula

wallwombat
12-Feb-2015
11:10:43 AM
The more recent photo looks like it was taken with a telephoto lens and the second looks like it wasn't.

A telephoto lens will compress the perspective of the image, hence it looks thinner than the photo on the front of the old Watling guide.

Voila! Magic.

The good Dr
12-Feb-2015
12:25:02 PM
On 12/02/2015 wallwombat wrote:
>The more recent photo looks like it was taken with a telephoto lens and
>the second looks like it wasn't.
>
>A telephoto lens will compress the perspective of the image, hence it
>looks thinner than the photo on the front of the old Watling guide.
>
>Voila! Magic.

No telephoto in the recent pic.

ajfclark
12-Feb-2015
12:48:22 PM
I think they're just taken from slightly different angles. If I still had a photosyth account it'd map it out for me.
MattJ
12-Feb-2015
6:03:56 PM
Point taken Neil, I'll emulate Country Road with two bolts: it being the benchmark for 24 offwidth in the oval area.

Wendy, I'm sorry I seem to have irritated you. Having now been informed this isn't so difficult to do I'll be more careful about having opinions next time :)
Wendy
12-Feb-2015
7:12:06 PM
On 12/02/2015 MattJ wrote:

>
>Wendy, I'm sorry I seem to have irritated you. Having now been informed
>this isn't so difficult to do I'll be more careful about having opinions
>next time :)

Gosh, you think that was me being irritated? Because I was expressing the opinion that it in no way looks like a 24 and offering some examples of why? Next time I'll take a leaf out of the ODH book on how I express myself.


IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Feb-2015
7:16:49 PM
On 12/02/2015 MattJ wrote:
>Point taken Neil, I'll emulate Country Road with two bolts: it being the
>benchmark for 24 offwidth in the oval area.
>
You have missed the point.
Yes there are two bolts in Country Road, BUT they are a belay, and NOT protection.

... I seriously doubt it will end up Gd 24 too, due not being at all like the roof of Country Road.
MattJ
12-Feb-2015
8:15:54 PM
Yep you might even be right - it was steeper and longer in the rose colored glasses of my memory - but you've still managed to be a mildly unpleasant downer about a route that no-one has laid hands on yet. Think I'll heed the wiser heads and leave this forum alone...

Miguel75
12-Feb-2015
8:28:05 PM
On 12/02/2015 MattJ wrote:
>Point taken Neil, I'll emulate Country Road with two bolts: it being the
>benchmark for 24 offwidth in the oval area.
>
>Wendy, I'm sorry I seem to have irritated you. Having now been informed
>this isn't so difficult to do I'll be more careful about having opinions
>next time :)

I like MattJ, he's funny.! I reckon go ahead and put your two bolt (porcine pro only) belay in; and then gun it to the top. Don't forget your TR and pics... And tape. And cojones;)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Feb-2015
8:46:10 PM
On 12/02/2015 MattJ wrote:
>Yep you might even be right - it was steeper and longer in the rose colored
>glasses of my memory - but you've still managed to be a mildly unpleasant
>downer about a route that no-one has laid hands on yet. Think I'll heed
>the wiser heads and leave this forum alone...

?
You sought feedback on a public forum.
Take it or leave it, but if you think my (or Wendy's), replies were harsh, then I don't think you will feel too good if any dangerouser cliffs anti-bolt fairies take notice of a new overbolted climb at Buffalo which is anathema to some...
:)

Miguel75
12-Feb-2015
8:48:20 PM
On 12/02/2015 MattJ wrote:
>Yep you might even be right - it was steeper and longer in the rose colored
>glasses of my memory - but you've still managed to be a mildly unpleasant
>downer about a route that no-one has laid hands on yet. Think I'll heed
>the wiser heads and leave this forum alone...

Fear not MattJ, go forth and claim your prize. It might have been climbed before, it might not have. Either way, it's never been climbed by MattJ before;)

Climb it in the best style possible. Have a rip roaring good time and when you top out ,bask in the knowledge that whatever grade it is, it was RAD... Ergo, you too are RAD;)

Miguel75
12-Feb-2015
8:52:47 PM
On 12/02/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>You sought feedback on a public forum.
>Take it or leave it, but If you think my (or Wendy's), replies were harsh, then I don't
>think you will feel too good if any dangerouser cliffs anti-bolt fairies
>take notice of a new overbolted climb at Buffalo which is anathema to some...
>:)

I'm still waiting for my DCA t-shirt... Is there a union rep I can complain to? ;)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Feb-2015
9:02:04 PM
On 12/02/2015 Miguel75 wrote:
>I'm still waiting for my DCA t-shirt... Is there a union rep I can complain to? ;)

I don't know, but read somewhere that ODH might know of one.
I also heard there is fairly strict admission criteria to that mob, to be met first...
;-)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Jun-2015
3:16:09 PM
Have not heard about this getting done by MattJ...

It would be one of the few climbs half protected from the weather up there at the moment...

How long does etiquette propose (given it has been 'bagsed' of sorts), before it is open slather?
;-)

Miguel75
17-Jun-2015
7:47:48 AM
On 16/06/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Have not heard about this getting done by MattJ...
>
>It would be one of the few climbs half protected from the weather up there
>at the moment...
>
>How long does etiquette propose (given it has been 'bagsed' of sorts),
>before it is open slather?
>;-)

1500 today. Then it's open slather;)
kieranl
17-Jun-2015
8:09:18 AM
Funnily enough, open and slather are two words that come to mind about this line.

 Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 55
There are 55 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints