Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Set of 11 "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) N/B NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts.  $169.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 13 of 16. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 307
Author
Trashing Tassie ... it's beyond salvation

Climboholic
23/03/2011
9:03:42 AM
On 22/03/2011 Tastrad wrote:
>... When consensus is not possible, sometimes you
>just have to act, so Doug Fife and I acted to remove the abseil bolts on
>the Ben and remove all ambiguity. If the bolts are reinstalled, with Doug's
>attitude the rot will set in and soon there will be rap stations all over
>the cliff, lower-offs after first pitches, and eventually bolted climbs.
>All we want is one last bastion of trad purity left in Tasmania - climb
>on natural gear and descend by the traditional way as well.

Thank you for finally stating your case concisely without using the term c0ck in any context. You'll find that more people will come around to your way of thinking if you present your argument like this, instead of attacking anyone who disagrees with you.

I think that the last 260 odd posts can be summarised by your quote above and the counter argument by Neil below:

On 19/03/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>I actually think Jesus has a good point amongst all this randomness. Double
>standards about bolting in Tassie wilderness seems like a real issue. The
>slow eroding of old school trad crags into sport venues is happening all
>over Australua. Why is Ben Lomond picked as the one and only crag that
>should be bolt free? I just wish (as usual) that people with strong opinions
>actually put their own name to their posts. I give Gerry credit for actually
>putting his own name to his postings and for not bitching and moaning behind
>peoples back. He doesn't leave any doubts about his thoughts. However I
>don't agree with the way he seems to ignore others opinions - the poll
>running shows 82% in support of bolted rap anchors at Ben Lomond - with
>100+ votes recorded. One man abusing the world isn't a great way of getting
>support for the cause.

I'd like to thank Jesus for stimulating the conversation (even though he added very little that was intelligible). A bit of controversy and emotion makes chocky entertaining.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
23/03/2011
8:29:34 PM
On 23/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>Actually I've worked out why I was confused. M9 was agreeing with Jesus
>and I (well, who wouldn't agree with Jesus) but claiming we were both wrong.
>
>But I presume you already 'got' that?


You are still wrong.
I was not agreeing with jesus.
You obviously have not digested my previous post on the same subject of Ewbank Grading System.

Until you do your homework of actually trying to understand the Ewbank Grading System, you will not understand...

~> Think about it glasshopper!

ajfclark
24/03/2011
9:13:13 AM
But free soloing doesn't change the route itself which is what's been graded. It doesn't remove gear placements or make loose blocks more loose, etc. You not using the gear is a completely different matter.

However, removing a critical gear placement, much like removing a critical hold, could change the grade. Gluing a hold on or chipping one could also change the grade. I don't see what's so confusing.
Wendy
24/03/2011
9:21:51 AM
On 24/03/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>I don't see what's so confusing.

It's not confusing at all. Everything I climb is obviously really really difficult because I carry so much gear up it and hang out and place all of it, so it's finally acknowledged to be 3 grades harder. Perfect. Of course, if you want to solo the route, it looses 3 grades for the opposite experience.
Wendy
24/03/2011
9:39:11 AM
On 24/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>Don't forget the exposure factor - since you're obviously pretty damn worried
>about falling, it should be upped another grade or two. At this rate,
>that 15 you did last week will be a 35.

Yup, next time i do watchtower crack, i'll take 5 number 5 camalots plus Keiran's tube chock and it will be the famed first 9a in Australia.

Eduardo Slabofvic
24/03/2011
10:31:00 AM
So, if I solo Sunny Gully it becomes a 0, and therefor ceases to be a climb?

TheKitten
24/03/2011
2:22:11 PM
"Trashing Tassie ... it's beyond salvation"

Tasweigans: All there is left to do is pray. Do not be led astray by Gary the deceiver.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24/03/2011
2:29:01 PM
On 24/03/2011 JayCee wrote:
>Seeing that Chockstone is where all the meaningful religious debate occurs,
>(and because it's full of heathens:
>http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=79208&Replie=191 ) I thought I'd start here.
>
Some Christ you are ... !
~>Providing a link that doesn't work!
Hehx looking forward to miracle 3 !!!
Fish Boy
24/03/2011
2:53:03 PM
Davidn, give it up, you have no idea....

TheKitten
24/03/2011
2:54:33 PM
YOU DARE QUESTION ME?

TheKitten
24/03/2011
3:10:17 PM
I am truly sorry that my father chose not to give you the ability to understand a system of sequential numbers. But we all must endeavour to overcome the challenges placed before us in life.

TheKitten
24/03/2011
3:12:50 PM
Even boulderers are God's children.
paz
26/03/2011
12:10:32 AM
On 24/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>Fish Boy, between you and Wendy, I know who most people would choose to
>listen to. I shall do the same. Cheers. Enjoy the hair. When are you
>leaving by the way?

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be overly much listening, rather just a lot of talking....mostly from davidn. Where's Jesus?

If someone's internet presence equaled knowledge, we'd no doubt listen to you davidnn. Sadly this isn't the case....
fish boy
26/03/2011
9:53:33 AM
Listen here you rabid piece of meat, your questions and statements continue to expose your ignorance.

We couldn't put up a first ascent to save ourselves, eh? Doing first ascents isn't "hard" like you seem to think it is. Who cares what it is graded? You either get up it or you don't; only newbies and gym bunnies worry about grades, the rest of us just get on with it.

Like many people here around you, I have climbed in many countries and grading is very subjective depending on rock type, age of route, popularity, who put it up etc...so move on with your ignorant spew and get a life.

rodw
26/03/2011
10:32:07 AM
Thats because you only rolled a 4
fish boy
26/03/2011
10:37:31 AM
Have the balls to leave what you post up, otherwise we will have to start quoting the puke you write...
egosan
26/03/2011
10:46:06 AM
I shoot the darkness!
paz
26/03/2011
12:08:11 PM
On 26/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>My time would obviously be much better spent flying to Tassie with my bolting
>kit!

You'd no doubt overbolt some piece of cr@p and it'd get chopped by the savior...

for someone who's posted over 200 times this month you'd think you might have something worthwhile to post.... maybe it's time to get the chalk dust from your flaps and go out and actually climb something...

Remember, we're not alone....

Climboholic:
You still don't get it.

M9 was not saying that the grade gets harder for a free solo (correct me if I'm wrong). The Ewbank system is actually pretty simple. Even davidn SHOULD be able to get it!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
23/03/2011
8:29:34 PM
You are still wrong.
I was not agreeing with jesus.
You obviously have not digested my previous post on the same subject of Ewbank Grading System.

Until you do your homework of actually trying to understand the Ewbank Grading System, you will not understand...

ajfclark
24/03/2011
9:13:13 AM
However, removing a critical gear placement, much like removing a critical hold, could change the grade. Gluing a hold on or chipping one could also change the grade. I don't see what's so confusing.

JayCee
24/03/2011
3:10:17 PM
I am truly sorry that my father chose not to give you the ability to understand a system of sequential numbers. But we all must endeavour to overcome the challenges placed before us in life.

davidn, i'm sorry but it seems you have the logic only to remove your shirt and leave your beanie on....have fun in all your new route endeavors...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
27/03/2011
5:39:06 PM
On 26/03/2011 paz wrote:
>...have fun in all your new route endeavors...

Better still davidn, come with me on an adventure-based new route.
I will let you lead the crux pitch and you can grade it.
~> I will be interested to see the feedback that you get!

Hmm.
I just rethought that.
If it happens to be a slab, or thin-aid route, at Buffalo, then you will likely not cope well with the runout that goes with such territory, as that will be too technical for you?

~> Hmm2, ... What do you call technical anyway?




Re your stance on Ewbank Grading System, if you don't read it elsewhere, I agree with paz, egosan, and fish boy, on this issue.
spicelab
27/03/2011
8:05:55 PM
Well davidn, whatever it was that you deleted, it made Fish Boy even angrier.

Didn't think that was possible.

 Page 13 of 16. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 307
There are 307 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints