Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: "Vario Speed Harness" Classic. One side fits all. Large (pre-threaded) quick-adjsut buckles. Wide nylon webbing. (Recommended for Gym use) SUPER SPECIAL!!!  $59.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Poll Option Votes Graph
Is too much & makes me consider quitting CS 4
4% 
Is too much & limits how much I participate in CS 1
1% 
needs to be less but doesnt affect my participatio 8
9% 
Is ok but I wouldn’t want more 9
10% 
Could increase without it bothering me 66
73% 
Is not enough and I wish there was a lot more 3
3% 

 Page 4 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 82
Author
The amount of “For Sale” Threads on Chockstone ...
hargs
21/12/2010
10:16:50 PM
On 21/12/2010 chuck norris wrote:
>Anyway you sql folk wanna laugh....I have a question for you: How many
>days would you need to write code to extract a csv file from a database
>with no/minimal data manipulation

I'm guessing the winning answer isn't expressed as some fraction of one?
hargs
21/12/2010
10:26:08 PM
3 days.

chuck norris
21/12/2010
10:30:55 PM
put it this way - I'm looking forward to getting my select * in march.
One Day Hero
22/12/2010
12:46:59 AM
O.K., so I've been out of the country for a while (b.t.w. the climbing in Vietnam is nothing to rave about, but the food is farkin awesome), and I seem to have missed something.

How do I work out who is Stugang and who is Eduardo?

Miguel75
22/12/2010
12:55:25 AM
On 21/12/2010 chuck norris wrote:
>Are you asking me on a date?
>
>Wednesdays are usualkly good, but not till the new year.

Why not! Life is pretty odd at present. Dutch or your shout?

pmonks
22/12/2010
5:19:26 AM
On 21/12/2010 chuck norris wrote:
>Anyway you sql folk wanna laugh....I have a question for you: How many
>days would you need to write code to extract a csv file from a database
>with no/minimal data manipulation (do NOT include project management time
>in your guess).

Recently did this for the SSS data for Sydney Rockies & ACA, and it took about 3 hours. Albeit I was dumping the data as XML rather than CSV, but that's not your question...

>closest answer wins something - prolly a nut size of your choosing.
[and later]
>put it this way - I'm looking forward to getting my select * in march.

Given this is corporate dev work, I'll go with 1 person-month of effort between now and March. What you'll receive at the end of the process will be:

  • 0 pages of documentation

  • a project plan with 25 milestones in it

  • 12 two page project status updates

  • a 7 page test plan signed in triplicate

  • 9 change requests

  • an unmaintainable Perl script containing 27 lines of gibberish that doesn't work with the data that will exist by the time March comes around


Let me know how close I am!
rightarmbad
22/12/2010
9:35:44 AM
All put in place by a knob that cannot understand that if you leave the guys who know what they are doing to do their job and not justify their existance to an idiot that can only see cost cutting, bonus dollar signs in his focus, that things will work way smoother.

It's like a bloody religion, they fear what they cannot understand.
So they put in restrictions that they can understand, because they lack the basic ability to trust somebody, because they are untrustworthy themselves.

They only reason they maintain their position is by back stabbing and plotting, so they believe that the whole of society functions that way.

sbm
22/12/2010
9:50:55 AM
On 22/12/2010 pmonks wrote:
>On 21/12/2010 chuck norris wrote:
>>Anyway you sql folk wanna laugh....I have a question for you: How many
>>days would you need to write code to extract a csv file from a database
>>with no/minimal data manipulation (do NOT include project management
>time
>>in your guess).
>
>Recently did this for the SSS data for Sydney Rockies & ACA, and it took
>about 3 hours. Albeit I was dumping the data as XML rather than CSV, but
>that's not your question...
>
>>closest answer wins something - prolly a nut size of your choosing.
>[and later]
>>put it this way - I'm looking forward to getting my select * in march.
>
>Given this is corporate dev work, I'll go with 1 person-month of effort
>between now and March. What you'll receive at the end of the process will
>be:

    >
  • 0 pages of documentation

  • >
  • a project plan with 25 milestones in it

  • >
  • 12 two page project status updates

  • >
  • a 7 page test plan signed in triplicate

  • >
  • 9 change requests

  • >
  • an unmaintainable Perl script containing 27 lines of gibberish that
    >doesn't work with the data that will exist by the time March comes around

  • >

>Let me know how close I am!
>

LOL. The 'system engineering management plan' at the last company I was at was a perverse work of art. I've kept the A2 flow chart diagram as a memorial to the struggles we overcame. I might get it framed.
kieranl
22/12/2010
12:37:52 PM
On 21/12/2010 chuck norris wrote:
>put it this way - I'm looking forward to getting my select * in march.
So, they're writing it in COBOL on punched cards with a hexadecimal key-pad?
kieranl
22/12/2010
12:44:09 PM
On 22/12/2010 pmonks wrote:
>Recently did this for the SSS data for Sydney Rockies & ACA, and it took
>about 3 hours. Albeit I was dumping the data as XML rather than CSV, but
>that's not your question...
For those hooked on XML, this gem from integration guru Michael Czapski :
"PS. XML, and any technologies which use it, should be considered greenhouse gases for the purpose of global warming.Their users should be heavily taxed to offset the gross resource wastage and its consequences on the state of the planet."
gfdonc
22/12/2010
1:24:12 PM
That's weird. I know Michael. And he isn't a climber. 6 degrees ..
kieranl
22/12/2010
1:52:51 PM
And I don't know Michael but use the enterprise integration tools that he has been developing for many years.

Chuck Norris
22/12/2010
5:05:58 PM
Sit down....


.....hold onto your seat....


....take a deep breath and......



.....the answer is......


50 days.
hargs
22/12/2010
6:26:16 PM
>50 days.

That's ridiculous. Even pmonks wayoverestimate is significantly short of the mark. I think your devs use this every time they need to look something up:



Chuck Norris
22/12/2010
7:54:24 PM
I tried querying it, but now have come to the conclusion that the best way of dealing with it is to think of naked women.

What makes it harder is that I used to work with a guy who was a complete freak. He was totally dyslexic (I learned never share a car with him), but was a genius when it came to databases. I'm talking multiple huge databases with quite complex join rules to get the info I was after (ie to get A and B you needed to go via D, Z and E - you get the picture). He sat over a partition, and from time to time I'd ask him if it was possible to get "blah blah blah blah" which were generally pretty complex requests.

The first time I asked for such a thing I got a bit pissed off as I thought he was being rude, cos he continued typing an email as I was talking to him, while saying "yep, yep, yep" as I talked. I ended up asking how long it would take and before I could finish there was a "ping" as he replied "its in your inbox".


Chuck Norris
22/12/2010
8:31:34 PM
On 22/12/2010 Miguel75 wrote:
>On 21/12/2010 chuck norris wrote:
>>Are you asking me on a date?
>>
>>Wednesdays are usualkly good, but not till the new year.
>
>Why not! Life is pretty odd at present. Dutch or your shout?

I'll shout - sounds like you've had shit luck recently. Why not climb first using your swanky new freebie gym pass and then I'll take you out.

Three things:

1. I don't do sex on a first date
2. I'll be wearing this t-shirt....


Miguel75
22/12/2010
8:47:54 PM
On 22/12/2010 Chuck Norris wrote:
>>>Are you asking me on a date?
>. Dutch or your shout?
>
>I'll shout - sounds like you've had shit luck recently. Why not climb
>first using your swanky new freebie gym pass and then I'll take you out.
>
>
>Three things:
>
>1. I don't do sex on a first date

Cuddles?

It's a date. It'll have to be next year as I plan on hibernating for the next little bit...

widewetandslippery
23/12/2010
7:51:32 AM
What a great hatched matched or dispatched tshirt.

Butters81
23/12/2010
8:59:29 AM
and the third thing?

pmonks
23/12/2010
8:59:46 AM
On 22/12/2010 Chuck Norris wrote:
>.....the answer is......
>
>
>50 days.

Wow! These guys are clearly professionals of a calibre I don't normally get to associate with!

 Page 4 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 82
There are 82 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints