Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: "Vario Speed Harness" Classic. One side fits all. Large (pre-threaded) quick-adjsut buckles. Wide nylon webbing. (Recommended for Gym use) SUPER SPECIAL!!!  $59.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Poll Option Votes Graph
Is too much & makes me consider quitting CS 4
4% 
Is too much & limits how much I participate in CS 1
1% 
needs to be less but doesnt affect my participatio 8
9% 
Is ok but I wouldn’t want more 9
10% 
Could increase without it bothering me 66
73% 
Is not enough and I wish there was a lot more 3
3% 

 Page 2 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 82
Author
The amount of “For Sale” Threads on Chockstone ...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20/12/2010
8:36:26 PM
On 20/12/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>For a trial period (starting now) the 'For Sale' items will no longer be
>displayed on the front page of Chockstone. It certainly makes for a much
>more inviting front page - looks like a real forum now!

I agree.
It is also easier to see/catch up, with unread threads 'across the spectrum' when one has been away for a little while, since more than one days worth of posts now appear on the front page.

Another possibility that Mike could consider to help make the minority happy(?), ... is to instigate the 'hide topic' function on the Forum front page for each/any (particularly the For sale items) 'complete thread' section(??), i.e. negates seeing that portion of Chocky altogether, rather than having to go to it and then hide individual topics.

On that point. For those who have been around a while, and who also don't like the amount of 'For Sale threads' posted, perhaps consider hiding the user ID/s associated with what you consider to be serial-sellers-who-don't-contribute-anything-else-to-Chocky? ~> That way you will not see any posts from that user...

nmonteith
20/12/2010
8:38:03 PM
On 20/12/2010 mattjr wrote:
>As I type this around 75% of Chockstoners that have voted are happy with
>the amount of for sale notices and wouldn't mind more.. so your 'trial'
>makes complete sense Neil?!

I think in reality 75% of respondents ticked the apathetic option. They wouldnt care if it went either way. I'm not removing the for sale posts - just the for sale posts being listed on the front page. If you really miss them remind me by posting up here in a few weeks time and we can see how people feel then.
dave
Online Now
20/12/2010
9:01:18 PM
How bout having two 'recent posts' lists on the front page- One 'For sale' one, and one with everything else. The 'New on Chockstone' list (last updated on 23 May 2006) could be got rid of, which would further improve the front page! just an idea...
Wendy
20/12/2010
9:09:07 PM
the spam that just appeared is far more annoying than individuals selling stuff.

Maybe the poll needs to become just "have them on" and "don't have them on"

Chuck Norris
20/12/2010
9:22:47 PM
Personally think it sux that you can't see for sale on the front page. If it werent for the anti rip off zealots, the rip off threads would stop getting bumped and would die in obscurity.

Also from time to time on those threads there are interesting o/t tangents that would be a shame to miss out on.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20/12/2010
9:30:42 PM
On 20/12/2010 Chuck Norris wrote:
>Personally think it sux that you can't see for sale on the front page.
>If it werent for the anti rip off zealots, the rip off threads would stop
>getting bumped and would die in obscurity.
>
>Also from time to time on those threads there are interesting o/t tangents
>that would be a shame to miss out on.

True, ChuckstugangNorris.
... but it does not stop anyone from perusing that section/those posts if they want to?

dave wrote;
>How bout having two 'recent posts' lists on the front page- One 'For sale' one, and one with everything else.

Yeah, with a link to ebay too*!
(*typed with tongue firmly in cheek...)
Heh, heh, heh.

hargs
20/12/2010
9:53:48 PM
On 20/12/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>I think in reality 75% of respondents ticked the apathetic option.

No, as one of that 75% I ticked the option I preferred. 99% of the time I access posts via the front page, hardly ever navigate through the forums page. That makes the trial a step backwards for me not forwards. (Sorry, shitty day today, well prepared to bitch about pretty much anything.) Still think the better answer is RSS, which would make monitoring each of the forums as simple as monitoring the home page.

Miguel75
20/12/2010
11:20:06 PM
I really like Chocky the way it is. Sale items will pop up; if you don't like reading them then don't! I agree random spam is crap and should be banned, i.e. cheap knives... Capitalism is a wonderful thing as the consumers usually win. I don't know why the vocal minority have won this round as it seem the majority of users are happy with the status quo.

In saying that, I like mountain projects front page that shows the recently updated threads, sales and all.

Chuck Norris
20/12/2010
11:58:42 PM
On 20/12/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>On 20/12/2010 mattjr wrote:
>>As I type this around 75% of Chockstoners that have voted are happy with
>>the amount of for sale notices and wouldn't mind more.. so your 'trial'
>>makes complete sense Neil?!
>
>I think in reality 75% of respondents ticked the apathetic option. They
>wouldnt care if it went either way. I'm not removing the for sale posts
>- just the for sale posts being listed on the front page. If you really
>miss them remind me by posting up here in a few weeks time and we can see
>how people feel then.

Sweet - you've discounted 75% of opinion because you think it is born of apathy. The option said "could increase without it bothering me" so I can't see how that is apathy when they are saying "could increase".

There is another option "is ok but wouldn't want more" sitting at 10% --that is apathy Neil.

BoulderBaby
Online Now
20/12/2010
11:59:46 PM
Then how are my harness' and shoes gonna sell? What a rubbish Christmas...
rightarmbad
21/12/2010
1:50:17 AM
It still shows in the forum view, anybody looking will see it.

mattjr
21/12/2010
7:11:41 AM
On 20/12/2010 hargs wrote:
>On 20/12/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>>I think in reality 75% of respondents ticked the apathetic option.
>
>No, as one of that 75% I ticked the option I preferred. 99% of the time
>I access posts via the front page, hardly ever navigate through the forums
>page. That makes the trial a step backwards for me not forwards. (Sorry,
>shitty day today, well prepared to bitch about pretty much anything.) Still
>think the better answer is RSS, which would make monitoring each of the
>forums as simple as monitoring the home page.

99% of the time I also access posts via the front page, hardly ever navigate through the forums page either! Perhaps we need another poll?

ajfclark
21/12/2010
8:14:29 AM
The only time I navigate through the forum page is when I've been away for a weekend or something and there's been more posts than space on the front page.
brendan
21/12/2010
8:18:08 AM
So just because a couple of whingers kept bumping the "for sale spam" posts and were very vocal about it, I now have to go in via the front page, then check the for sale page incase there is something interesting, what a joke

nmonteith
21/12/2010
8:24:00 AM
I'll see if thee is any way that we can make users have the ability to disable the 'for sale' posts on the front page individually. I thought removing them from the front page was a good middle ground solution - obviously not.

Miguel75
21/12/2010
9:38:09 AM
Excellent work Neil. Just because Rightarmband and WM don't like the sales posts I don't think it should necessitate a wholesale change of our forum.

The mighty poll has spoken! There is no need for Chocky change.
Godless
21/12/2010
9:50:05 AM
Migule57 "Capitalism is a wonderful thing as the consumers usually win"

Consumers 1: Planet 0

Wonderful.
bobic
21/12/2010
9:52:15 AM
Most climbers I know are gear nerds. Most also love a bargain.
davepalethorpe
21/12/2010
10:12:52 AM
Maybe there should just be a rule that all gear has to be sold for at least 50% less than aussie RRP :)

Miguel75
21/12/2010
11:01:03 AM
On 21/12/2010 davidn wrote:
>On 21/12/2010 Godless wrote:
>>Migule57 "Capitalism is a wonderful thing as the consumers usually win"
>>
>>Consumers 1: Planet 0
>>
>>Wonderful.
>
>Shhh - keep it down while I pray to my money. You wouldn't understand,
>being godless and all.

I've prayed to my material possessions before and it doesn't work. Animal sacrifice, such as KFC is way more effective! I believe it has to do with the 11 secret herbs and spices.

Aside from appeasing the angry Gods, I also feel animal sacrifices have a positive effect on global warming/cooling as the fewer animals around to pollute, the better for us all.

Consumers - 1 Planet - 1 KFC bottom line - 1 Now appeased angry Gods - 1

Everyone wins!

 Page 2 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 82
There are 82 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints