Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

DMM: Viper Size L (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 87-104cm Legs: 55-70cm   $89.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 6 of 7. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 122
Author
Mt Arapiles development plans

Gavo
16/03/2011
9:19:01 PM
On 16/03/2011 duglash wrote:
>I wank and I vote.

Hopefully washing your hands between the two
Wendy
17/03/2011
8:52:22 AM
On 16/03/2011 Sarah Gara wrote:

>Glad to see I wasn't the only one who spent the time to write x
>

But doesn't it seem a tad unprofessional of them to send a bulk reply out and not hide the list of recipients?

ajfclark
17/03/2011
8:54:10 AM
Yes.

Now wait for the reply to all people...
bones
17/03/2011
9:01:46 AM
On 16/03/2011 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>There is some other ting underway in regards to national parks and allowing
>commercial development in the parks. This is not a Horsham specific issue,
>as it would apply state wide. I have no details at hand, but maybe other
>do.

Yeah heard about this on the radio yesterday morning but they didn't give any real details either
john s
17/03/2011
9:45:16 AM
>On 16/03/2011 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>>There is some other ting underway in regards to national parks and allowing
>>commercial development in the parks. This is not a Horsham specific
>issue,
>>as it would apply state wide. I have no details at hand, but maybe other
>>do.
more here:

http://vnpa.org.au/page/nature-conservation/media-releases/tourism-facilities-in-national-parks-could-kill-%27golden-goose%27

http://www.vcec.vic.gov.au/CA256EAF001C7B21/0/6EBC9CA2408E53F6CA2577F90014B383?OpenDocument

Zebedee
26/05/2011
12:55:42 PM
HRCC plan revision now available. Relevant bit:
Key Direction 1.5 Develop the municipality as a desirable place to live, work and enjoy for all ages.
1.5.9 Implement Council related recommendations from Mt Arapiles Tooan State Park study, including the development of visitor facilities in consultation with relevant agencies and the community.
satan
27/05/2011
9:49:33 AM
You're a panic merchant zeb. They can't even get their shit together to build a PAC how are they going to build a tourist complex.

HRCC Hopeless Rural C-cksucking ____'s
gfdonc
27/05/2011
9:58:04 AM
Sounds like a route name at Nowra.

Zebedee
21/12/2011
10:05:49 AM
from the Draft 2012-2016 Tourism and Events Master Plan
"Natimuk and Mt Arapiles
Natimuk has unique characteristics but lacks accommodation options. Mt Arapiles can service the rock climber, but other product needs to be developed to keep a visitor for more than a day or two. Unique events could be developed around the mount. Accommodation is limited."
Limited to camping at the Mount, Dufholmes Cabins, cabin or room accomadation at the National and camping or a cabin at the Lake caravan park...

They sure do want to develop the land around arapiles

http://www.hrcc.vic.gov.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=369:2012-2016-horsham-a-grampians-tourism-and-events-master-plan&catid=1:council&Itemid=45
kieranl
21/12/2011
10:43:43 AM
On 21/12/2011 Zebedee wrote:
>from the Draft 2012-2016 Tourism and Events Master Plan
>"Natimuk and Mt Arapiles
>Natimuk has unique characteristics but lacks accommodation options. Mt
>Arapiles can service the rock climber, but other product needs to be developed
>to keep a visitor for more than a day or two. Unique events could be developed
>around the mount. Accommodation is limited."
>Limited to camping at the Mount, Dufholmes Cabins, cabin or room accomadation
>at the National and camping or a cabin at the Lake caravan park...
>
Yes, that is limited accommodation. It's all pretty basic. I've no fan of development plans but that analysis of accommodation is accurate. The nearest 3-star motel level accommodation is in Horsham. Now it would be a pretty brave person who built a motel in Nati - I don't think the numbers would stack up. As for the cost of building one near the mount with water and sewerage issues, you could just forget it.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21/12/2011
10:58:11 AM
On 21/12/2011 kieranl wrote:
>Now it would be a pretty brave person who built a motel in Nati - I don't think the numbers would stack up. As for the cost of building one near the mount with water and sewerage issues, you could just forget it.

Which makes me wonder why the developers are so hell bent on developing the area, as I expect that they would have also done their sums?

Who are they(?), and what do they expect to make out of it?

Given that Nati demonstrates regularly with events like the Fringe, that they have dedicated and organised citizenry; what makes them think that if locals are not in favour of such development that they won't be up against a protracted fight against their plans; ... which would further make a 'barely viable proposition' seemingly all too hard to pull off?

It sounds suspiciously to me like there could be some local councillors in power, with vested interests?
egosan
21/12/2011
11:20:39 AM
Goofy Bastards,

From this draft latest draft plan:

>4.5.2 Investigate opportunities to implement the
>finding of the 2007 Mt Arapiles Feasibility Study.


From the 2007 study:

3.3 Conclusion
There are limited development opportunities for the Park to be associated with new market segments that may be attracted to the Park. These markets generally have low levels of participation and would be unlikely to attract significant numbers of new visitors to Mt Arapiles as opposed to other attractions in the region. Therefore, the focus of facility provision in the medium term remains with the rock climbing core market and a significant shift in policy or facility provision associated with the operation of the Mt Arapiles Block is not warranted. Provision of new “developed” accommodation facilities is also not a high priority for the core market and only budget accommodation facilities such as a ‘youth hostel’ or ‘backpackers’ lodge aligns well with rock climbers. The location of such a facility with easy access to Mt Arapiles is considered to be Mt Arapiles Block Feasibility Study - Findings Parks Victoria critical to its ongoing success. The availability of low-cost camping facilities within the Park and adjacent to the priority climbing precincts will make this form of accommodation a secondary option for a limited segment of the core market.
A new backpacker accommodation facility (Araps Base Camp) has been constructed in the township of Natimuk. This facility is targeted at the core climber market and has accommodation for up to twelve people. The existence of this new backpacker accommodation should be taken into consideration when identifying the future needs for any additional accommodation development.

Am I missing something here?
Implement what? Sounds like there is no incentive to do any development at the Mount.
rolsen1
21/12/2011
11:50:48 AM
On 21/12/2011 kieranl wrote:
>On 21/12/2011 Zebedee wrote:
>>from the Draft 2012-2016 Tourism and Events Master Plan
>>"Natimuk and Mt Arapiles
>>Natimuk has unique characteristics but lacks accommodation options. Mt
>>Arapiles can service the rock climber, but other product needs to be
>developed
>>to keep a visitor for more than a day or two. Unique events could be
>developed
>>around the mount. Accommodation is limited."
>>Limited to camping at the Mount, Dufholmes Cabins, cabin or room accomadation
>>at the National and camping or a cabin at the Lake caravan park...
>>
>Yes, that is limited accommodation. It's all pretty basic. I've no fan
>of development plans but that analysis of accommodation is accurate. The
>nearest 3-star motel level accommodation is in Horsham. Now it would be
>a pretty brave person who built a motel in Nati - I don't think the numbers
>would stack up. As for the cost of building one near the mount with water
>and sewerage issues, you could just forget it.

Even in Horsham it is hard to find family (3 kids) accommodation (my wife doesn't camp) during school holidays.
Wendy
21/12/2011
12:05:09 PM
On 21/12/2011 rolsen1 wrote:

>
>Even in Horsham it is hard to find family (3 kids) accommodation (my wife
>doesn't camp) during school holidays.

The difficulty in getting school holiday accommodation for families is hardly unique to the Wimmera. They built a new hotel in horsham this year. You can stay in the delightful looking Mercure now. Or just book a nati pub cabin in advance. How hard is that? I'd be flabbergasted if you couldn't find something for the the april hols if you booked now. When you have 3 kids and a wife who won't camp, aren't your options for last minute trips obviously going to be limited? Should we be surprised? Isn't this one of those we just can't accommodate everyone's needs situations?

gordoste
21/12/2011
11:50:21 PM
On 21/12/2011 Wendy wrote:
>On 21/12/2011 rolsen1 wrote:
>
>>
>>Even in Horsham it is hard to find family (3 kids) accommodation (my
>wife
>>doesn't camp) during school holidays.
>
>The difficulty in getting school holiday accommodation for families is
>hardly unique to the Wimmera. They built a new hotel in horsham this year.
> You can stay in the delightful looking Mercure now. Or just book a nati
>pub cabin in advance. How hard is that? I'd be flabbergasted if you couldn't
>find something for the the april hols if you booked now. When you have
>3 kids and a wife who won't camp, aren't your options for last minute trips
>obviously going to be limited? Should we be surprised? Isn't this one of
>those we just can't accommodate everyone's needs situations?

Are you aiming for a record number of questions in one post?
rolsen1
22/12/2011
8:08:33 AM
On 21/12/2011 Wendy wrote:
>On 21/12/2011 rolsen1 wrote:
>
>>
>>Even in Horsham it is hard to find family (3 kids) accommodation (my
>wife
>>doesn't camp) during school holidays.
>
>The difficulty in getting school holiday accommodation for families is
>hardly unique to the Wimmera. They built a new hotel in horsham this year.
> You can stay in the delightful looking Mercure now. Or just book a nati
>pub cabin in advance. How hard is that? I'd be flabbergasted if you couldn't
>find something for the the april hols if you booked now. When you have
>3 kids and a wife who won't camp, aren't your options for last minute trips
>obviously going to be limited? Should we be surprised? Isn't this one of
>those we just can't accommodate everyone's needs situations?

This thread is about tourist development and increasing tourist dollars for the area. You don't need to book four months ahead to find family accommodation in other tourist areas. I'm not suggesting their are hundreds of families looking to holiday in Horsham or Nati but agreeing with the statement above that the accommodation that is currently available is extremely limited.
mthrfckr
22/12/2011
9:48:38 AM
Good. Keep the breeders away I reckon.
Wendy
22/12/2011
9:51:33 AM
On 21/12/2011 gordoste wrote:

>
>Are you aiming for a record number of questions in one post?

I was inspired by the cat exercise.
Wendy
22/12/2011
9:56:56 AM
On 22/12/2011 rolsen1 wrote:

>
>This thread is about tourist development and increasing tourist dollars
>for the area. You don't need to book four months ahead to find family
>accommodation in other tourist areas. I'm not suggesting their are hundreds
>of families looking to holiday in Horsham or Nati but agreeing with the
>statement above that the accommodation that is currently available is extremely
>limited.

I'm sure Halls Gap/Mt Beauty/Katoomba and the like book out for peak periods well in advance as well. I think "extremely limited" is getting a little carried away too - Horsham has a truckload of hotels, motels, caravan parks, bed and breakfasts - how many more do you need???
rolsen1
22/12/2011
10:48:51 AM
On 22/12/2011 Wendy wrote:
>I'm sure Halls Gap/Mt Beauty/Katoomba and the like book out for peak periods
>well in advance as well. I think "extremely limited" is getting a little
>carried away too - Horsham has a truckload of hotels, motels, caravan parks,
>bed and breakfasts - how many more do you need???

If you read what I wrote, you see I am stating that there is not family accommodation. I have three youngish kids, it is not a large family. Finding 2/3 room accommodation is hard in the immediate Araps/Horsham area - yes it is much easier if you have a smaller family or the kids are old enough to be in a separate/non-joining room.

 Page 6 of 7. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 122
There are 122 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints