Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: "Neutrino" karabiner. (Gate opening 22mm) Gate opening = 22mm. - Assorted "Ano" colours... (Red shown)  $7.00
22% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 2 of 15. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 285
Author
climbing = dating?
dmnz
20/10/2008
11:46:19 AM
On 20/10/2008 JimboV10 wrote:
>>>I really can't climb better then him at this stage cause I'm as new as.
>>>maybe I'll try to bring friends along next time I climb... maybe it
>should
>>>be a boy?
>
>bring some fit athletic "stud" then comment all the time on how good he
>looks climbing... original boy will get the hint... lol

wouldn't that make him try harder!

>
>>i don't think i'd be turned off a partner who climbs harder than me.
>i
>>have no qualms what or if she climbed. that'd be awesome if she did
>climb
>>harder than me. =)
>
>the mrs can put the draws on ur project - ultimate girlfriend!

its not the fact that she climbs harder but the fact that she's keen on the climbing and there's no puttingup draws when you're in the mountains but i get the point! =)


>and for the next installment... "how to get your non climbing girlfriend
>to understand that going to the grampians for 4 days with ur female climbing
>parter does NOT mean you are sleeping together..."

...that should be interesting!

Cookie
20/10/2008
12:26:08 PM
>
>>and for the next installment... "how to get your non climbing girlfriend
>>to understand that going to the grampians for 4 days with ur female climbing
>>parter does NOT mean you are sleeping together..."
>
>...that should be interesting!

take the non-climber girlfriend with! :) i'm sure with a little coaxing she might become a climber girlfriend!!

I just joined this forum today.. Hi.

I have apparently been living in a little bubble thinking that all male climbers are hooked up with incredible climber girlfriends... *pop* .. in the beginning, my partner nagged and nagged and nagged me to go climbing with him, until finally i gave in and went saying "once only, and i'm only doing this to shut you up" and now i'm more obsessed than he is! but then again, i'm a little odd, i like shooter games too :P



MisterGribble
20/10/2008
12:35:35 PM
On 19/10/2008 simey wrote:
>On 19/10/2008 noclimberboys wrote:
>>Why is it that boys always think that if a girl climbs with them then
>they're on a date?
>
>It would never occur to me to meet girls through climbing.
>

I met Mrs Gribble at the Pines top camp at a party.
She whacked me over the head with a Friend 4, dragged me into my Combi by the hair and we've now been married for 15 years.

It worked for me.
Wendy
20/10/2008
12:41:06 PM
>And yes, climber boys are probably the cream of the crop. Would anyone
>disagree?
>
>
>
I had this conversation with a friend who shall remain nameless some years ago on the failings of climber boys ... her theory went (after no lack of experience on the topic ...) that climbing is an escapist sport. It doesn't have any great point beyond we like doing it, it takes us away from our everyday lives and humdrum, large numbers of us (of both sexes!) have retreated from the standard everyday world purely to support a lifestyle of still more climbing and declined all those things society normally called "responsible choices". Thus, the theory continued, why large numbers of male climbers are crap at relationships, responsibility and commitment ....

then there's another theory I heard an older female climber espouse that there is a reason why men over 38 (don't know why 38 in particular) are still single, and the famous run down that Lou Shepherd gave me a few years ago whilst in the doldrums of an ended relationship of all the major faults with every available man in Natimuk ...

then there's the over inflated egos, and those that chuck tanties ...

But there is a vast amount of eye candy ... and they tend to stay looking good well into life especially compared with the general population! Also, climbers are often more socially and politically radical and have concerns for the environment, having seen a bit of the world and met people from many walks of life ... there's also an abundence of quirky senses of humour, and just quirks in general, although why this is I'm not quite sure! I've met heaps of fantastic people climbing, as I'm sure we all have and only a few sods.

I think the problems of relationships with non-climbers vastly outway the potential failings of climbers really but I may be biassed ...

sonic
20/10/2008
1:01:11 PM
Wow the way this is going maybe Chockstone should start a climber dating service! Find a belay, and maybe something more........ :P

Richard
20/10/2008
1:10:46 PM
On 19/10/2008 noclimberboys wrote:

>Why is it that boys always think that if a girl climbs with them then
>they're on a date?

because you are, until your not.

Try just telling him. If he's smart, he realise he's lost nothing he had (a chance), and he'll either continue climbing with you, or look for another partner...

Or, introduce him to your best friend...
Wendy
20/10/2008
1:11:20 PM
On 20/10/2008 Cookie wrote:
>>

>
>take the non-climber girlfriend with! :) i'm sure with a little coaxing
>she might become a climber girlfriend!!
>
>I just joined this forum today.. Hi.
>
Hi Cookie, Welcome aboard! You may have noticed the discussion about Chockstone being a bit dead lately - maybe it's because we don't seem to have many women around at the moment! The world of internet forums is possibly even more male dominated than climbing. Always good to have some more women's opinions ...

I've had a few non-climber boyfriends over the years and inevitably tried madly to convert them to the cause. No 1 refused outright but eventually started coming on climbing holidays with me because he missed me and for a while there was a Pines fixture in a hammock with guitar. No 2 had climbed a bit in his youth and whilst he came out a bit whilst we were together, for reasons that completely escape me (being completely obsessed myself) really wasn't into anymore and no amount of climbing seemed to bring it back. No 3 loved the mountains and was keen to climb but was so outrageously scared everytime, it was just easier to go bushwalking. And no, I didn't try and take him up any of those sandbags in the Bumbly Classics thread! We are talking about abject terror on Bushranger's Bluff and Tip Toe Ridge ...
james
20/10/2008
1:21:02 PM
whatever happened to the Paradise dating thread?

Cookie
20/10/2008
1:31:16 PM

>Hi Cookie, Welcome aboard! You may have noticed the discussion about Chockstone
>being a bit dead lately - maybe it's because we don't seem to have many
>women around at the moment! The world of internet forums is possibly even
>more male dominated than climbing. Always good to have some more women's
>opinions ...

Cheers, well chalk one up for the girlies, cos i'm always happy to give my opinion :P

>I've had a few non-climber boyfriends over the years and inevitably tried
>madly to convert them to the cause.

I cant imagine not sharing climbing with my bf, it probably just wouldnt work in the end :/

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20/10/2008
1:51:21 PM
On 20/10/2008 james wrote:
>whatever happened to the Paradise dating thread?

It is still there.
I note that you started it here, as the 1st post, and follow the thread as you will ...

A search on 'dating' turns up many pages of links on Chocky ...
~> this says something?
Heh, heh, heh.


Paulie
20/10/2008
1:52:44 PM
On 20/10/2008 noclimberboys wrote:
>climber boys are probably the cream of the crop. Would anyone disagree?

Most climbers I know are anti-social freaks with heads like walnuts ... my wife thought I was hot because I had huge Popeye like forearms that I could crush competitors heads in with ... survival of the fittest and all that ;)

Eduardo Slabofvic
20/10/2008
2:59:18 PM
On 20/10/2008 Wendy wrote:
>then there's another theory I heard an older female climber espouse that
>there is a reason why men over 38 (don't know why 38 in particular) are
>still single, and the famous run down that Lou Shepherd gave me a few years
>ago whilst in the doldrums of an ended relationship of all the major faults
>with every available man in Natimuk ...
>
>then there's the over inflated egos, and those that chuck tanties ...

Geeze, take all them out and you'll just be left with Hero, Stugang and I.

Lets not forget the other side of the coin. Why would you want to go out with someone who doesn't share you passion?

The answer is, because female climbers are more f*cked up than male climbers. This is indisputable fact. To prove it, just ask any female climber if they are more f*cked up than male climbers. They will all tell you "No".

So they do all the same things as male climbers, but deny that they are as f*cked up, therefore pushing them just that little bit further out the F*cked Up curve.

Wendy
20/10/2008
3:06:07 PM
On 20/10/2008 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:

>
>The answer is, because female climbers are more f*cked up than male climbers.
> This is indisputable fact. To prove it, just ask any female climber if
>they are more f*cked up than male climbers. They will all tell you "No".
>
>So they do all the same things as male climbers, but deny that they are
>as f*cked up, therefore pushing them just that little bit further out the
>F*cked Up curve.
>
>

Hey, I freely admit to having avoided all those responsible things like careers and families and vastly under utilising my government funded education all in the name of climbing addiction.... does that take me back down to the mere male level?

There was a run down on the major problems with all the available women in Nati too, but as there were only 3 on it at the time, it was no where near as extensive and entertaining ...

Eduardo Slabofvic
20/10/2008
3:23:24 PM
On 20/10/2008 Wendy wrote:
>There was a run down on the major problems with all the available women
>in Nati too, but as there were only 3 on it at the time, it was no where
>near as extensive and entertaining ...
>

Would you like my list?

Sabu
20/10/2008
3:31:35 PM
I reckon both lists should be posted for the sheer amusement of everyone! Its only fair
given most of us frequent natimuk!
Wendy
20/10/2008
4:04:15 PM
On 20/10/2008 Sabu wrote:
>I reckon both lists should be posted for the sheer amusement of everyone!
>Its only fair
>given most of us frequent natimuk!

I might be sued for breach of copyright by the lists authors or slander by the lists subjects!

In all honesty, the main reasons that Natimuk and climbing in general has a collection of not so young singles would probably be:

a. Transiant lifestyles - travelling to climb mountains, avoid winter, work overseas etc etc and hanging out in a community also full of travellers and transiants doesn't make for settling down.
b. Independance - Modern people, women and climbers in general are all pretty fond of it and the nature of climbing and forementioned transiant lifestyle attracts people with it and develops more of it.
c. Set in your ways - Both of the above also lead to an increasing fondness of how you live and do things, and after you've been doing them for a while, it becomes even harder to fit in with other people and make compromises, thus you end up with 2 independant, stubborn people with separate life plans and different locations trying to make things meet somehow ....
d. Most of them would prefer to be with another climber but there's a slight population imbalance.
e. Quite a few of them are actually really happy single and aren't trying to do anything about it.

Then add a few modern life things affecting everyone, ie. increased freedom, economic independance, high romantic expectations, high expectations of life in general, the perils of choice ....

dmnz
20/10/2008
4:20:37 PM
On 20/10/2008 Wendy wrote:
>>And yes, climber boys are probably the cream of the crop. Would anyone
>>disagree?
>>
>>
>>
>I had this conversation with a friend who shall remain nameless some years
>ago on the failings of climber boys ... her theory went (after no lack
>of experience on the topic ...) that climbing is an escapist sport.

Sport by definition you do for fun dont you?
But I dont see how climbing is 1/ escapist and 2/ a sport, but i digress.

It >doesn't have any great point beyond we like doing it, it takes us away
>from our everyday lives and humdrum, large numbers of us (of both sexes!)
>have retreated from the standard everyday world purely to support a lifestyle
>of still more climbing and declined all those things society normally called
>"responsible choices". Thus, the theory continued, why large numbers of
>male climbers are crap at relationships, responsibility and commitment
>....

live the way you want so long as you're not hurting anyone. that's YOUR choice. dont feel the need to conform simply because someone else says so
and just because the rest of society may decide to do something doesnt make it responsible.

being a climber doesnt make a person
dmnz
20/10/2008
4:25:03 PM
On 20/10/2008 Wendy wrote:
>On 20/10/2008 Sabu wrote:
>>I reckon both lists should be posted for the sheer amusement of everyone!
>>Its only fair
>>given most of us frequent natimuk!
>
>I might be sued for breach of copyright by the lists authors or slander
>by the lists subjects!
>
>In all honesty, the main reasons that Natimuk and climbing in general
>has a collection of not so young singles would probably be:
>
>a. Transiant lifestyles - travelling to climb mountains, avoid winter,
>work overseas etc etc and hanging out in a community also full of travellers
>and transiants doesn't make for settling down.
>b. Independance - Modern people, women and climbers in general are all
>pretty fond of it and the nature of climbing and forementioned transiant
>lifestyle attracts people with it and develops more of it.
>c. Set in your ways - Both of the above also lead to an increasing fondness
>of how you live and do things, and after you've been doing them for a while,
>it becomes even harder to fit in with other people and make compromises,
>thus you end up with 2 independant, stubborn people with separate life
>plans and different locations trying to make things meet somehow ....
>d. Most of them would prefer to be with another climber but there's a
>slight population imbalance.
>e. Quite a few of them are actually really happy single and aren't trying
>to do anything about it.
>
>Then add a few modern life things affecting everyone, ie. increased freedom,
>economic independance, high romantic expectations, high expectations of
>life in general, the perils of choice ....
>
>

I think it's the independent nature of climbers that may affect their relationship status. ok they probably all want to be with someone but dont stress if they aint!

and they dont all avoid winter. i prefer winter anywhere anytime
Sally
21/10/2008
8:36:59 AM
JIMBO. I often climb with other men, my husband dosn't worry... after all I'm not at my most attractive
after 3 days without a shower. Mind you my husband dosn't have anything to worry about he's quite hot
for a crusty climber.


JimboV10
21/10/2008
10:35:22 AM
On 21/10/2008 Sally wrote:
>JIMBO. I often climb with other men, my husband dosn't worry... after all
>I'm not at my most attractive
>after 3 days without a shower. Mind you my husband dosn't have anything
>to worry about he's quite hot
>for a crusty climber.
>
Thats my point lol Non climbers (maybe its just girls) dont understand that you wont be hitting on ur climbing partner because:
a) your saving energy for the send
b) she smells just as bad as you

hehehe

 Page 2 of 15. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 285
There are 285 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints