Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Red) Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Setting up a Jumar

Mike TS
9/10/2005
9:03:17 PM
I'v been trying out my Petzl ascendeur in preparation for the mountains, and have a couple of stupid questions.
1. In the picture I think that the sling is attached to the hole at the bottom of the Jumar with a carabiner. Is there any reason not to larks foot the sling to the Jumar? (it would save weight in the mountains)
2. If I should use a carabiner, should it be a screw gate?

Thanks

nmonteith
9/10/2005
10:00:11 PM
I attach with a small screwgate biner. I do this so i can add a second etrier to the jumar at any stage, or
detach the etreir to stash it. Its all about flexabilty.

mousey
9/10/2005
10:24:03 PM
I normally use a screw gate as well because i have etriers/daisys/camera bags being taken on & off a lot, but no,it isnt necessary...if you larks foot it to a bit of tat, then puta small overhand near it for putting a binerthru if you need it then thats plenty

shaggy
9/10/2005
11:10:56 PM
I larks foot it arount the handle part, not in the hole, this allows you to also use carabiners for etriers etc...

Hatman
10/10/2005
6:11:12 AM
I just started useing a mallion quick Link

However it was easier to quickly stash the jumars on my gear loops when i had biners on them I would just keep them cliped to my harness and wrap them round my wasit then clip the jumars to my loops.

Its not easy to do that now unless I have a couiple of spare biners so what I do is wrap them over my sholder and tuck the foot loop into the back of my harness.

Probably not the safest (strangle me in a fall?) and definately not comfortable But I never go far with them any how as I only use them to bolt.

Mike TS
10/10/2005
8:55:21 PM
Thanks everyone

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11/10/2005
1:22:24 PM
On 10/10/2005 Hatman wrote:
>I just started useing a mallion quick Link

I used to use them for a while but finding the buggers undone a few times when they were not supposed to be put me off using them. Did not want to use a spanner to tighten them as I required flexibility in (varying) setup applications without having to carry a spanner to facilitate.

Shaggys suggestion of larkfooting the handle is good.
JCP suggestion of overhand knot near the larkfoot to facilitate clipping is good.

Screwgates are good. I have found any unusual torquing applied is apt to unclip krabs. At worst an undone screwgate is not the same as the gap left in an undone mallion.

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints