Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

DMM: Viper Size L (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 87-104cm Legs: 55-70cm   $89.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
Author
Vibram five fingers
Chipbutty
27/05/2010
8:58:29 PM
Has anyone out there got these or tried them out or have any opinions on them? I am thinking about buying a pair but they are not cheap and I don't know anyone who has tried them,

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Cheers

Mike Bee
27/05/2010
9:20:02 PM
I've got a pair of the Sprint model.
I've used them a lot as approach shoes, and also as casual footwear (always a good way to kick start a conversation at a BBQ).
They aren't any good at climbing, so don't buy them with that in mind.

If you like barefeet, but don't like worrying about sharp stones, hot concrete during summer etc, then you'll love Fivefingers. I'm a big fan of them, though I don't seem to wear them as much anymore. Some people I know have 2 pairs, so they can be washing and drying one while wearing the others. They do get a bit stinky.

S4A
27/05/2010
9:23:22 PM
Got them and Love them!!! Had them for nearly a year and they seem to go everywhere with me. I have the sprint and have run, walked, climbed and paddled in them and haven't had any issues. The only criticism is the M43 rubber is getting pretty thin on the ball of my foot but they have been used heaps. I am lead to believe that you can now get different types of rubber that are better wearing. I got mine from Pinnacle Outdoors in Melb and got quite a good discount being a student but when researching i found that when the exchange rate is good overseas u can get them heaps cheap.

Hope This Helps.
Sam

Miguel75
27/05/2010
9:27:44 PM
I love them for 'barefoot' running. I've tried to liberate my brothers' pair for ages but he keeps cottoning on and demanding them back...
Chipbutty
27/05/2010
9:30:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of using them as approach shoes and for a bit of running. I will try some on this weekend as I hear it is important to get the right fit.
patto
27/05/2010
11:14:09 PM
I bought a pair of these when I was in the US in Jan. Since getting back, two friends have bought a pair after seeing mine. I bought them to put my money where my mouth is on the lack of need for supportive running shoes. (I had a big discussion with a friend.)

They are great for running and fantastic as proper approach shoes. Excellent for rock scrambling. OK for climbing low grades, its like climbing barefeet. Excellent foot perception. Poor for tiny edges.

On 27/05/2010 tobyh wrote:
>Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of using them as approach shoes
>and for a bit of running. I will try some on this weekend as I hear it
>is important to get the right fit.

Fit is important with any shoe really. I have a narrow ankle so getting the sprints or classics to fit snugly was impossible. Their newer models like the KSO have a much better strapping mechanism and I got them.
Mike Bee
27/05/2010
11:31:07 PM
On 27/05/2010 S4A wrote:
>The only criticism is the M43
>rubber is getting pretty thin on the ball of my foot but they have been
>used heaps.

M43 isn't the rubber, it is simply saying that your shoes are a mens fit size 43!

>I am lead to believe that you can now get different types of
>rubber that are better wearing.

Not that I've heard. Some of the new models are coming out with more complicated sole constructions (a bit of a cop out on the bare foot ideals, IMO), but there isn't much mention of different rubber compounds.

>I got mine from Pinnacle Outdoors in Melb
>and got quite a good discount being a student but when researching i found
>that when the exchange rate is good overseas u can get them heaps cheap.

As always, things are cheaper overseas, but the sizing is a bit crazy on these things, so it's probably worth spending a few bucks extra and shopping with your local shop so you can try on a few different sizes and get the right fit. Also, some models fit differently from others (eg KSO are about half a size out from the same sized Sprint).

Nooj
27/05/2010
11:33:06 PM
50% sale here. Looks like an absolute bargain.

unfortunately for me, they don't have my sizes - i'd go for the womens, but they're not selling those either. crap.
Hugh
28/05/2010
8:02:32 AM
what about buying vollies.. Essentially the same support and what.. 10% of the price..
DJ Biggs
28/05/2010
9:15:02 AM
Have a pair, perfect approach shoe. Really good for climbers little toes, forcing them apart and most likely prevent climbing shoe related ailments.(IMHO). Great for swimming and then trying to climb/walk out on oyster beds or coral.
patto
10/06/2010
12:05:59 AM
On 27/05/2010 Nooj wrote:
>50% sale here. Looks
>like an absolute bargain.
>
>unfortunately for me, they don't have my sizes - i'd go for the womens,
>but they're not selling those either. crap.
>

Don't particularly want to bump this thread but I have found out that this site is a total fake. Anyone considering these, DON'T BUY FROM THIS SITE.

http://birthdayshoes.com/these-are-not-vibram-five-fingers-spotting-fakes-counterfeits-knock-offs-and-other-pirated-black-market-five-toed-shoes
http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=43329

DON'T BUY FROM FROM THESE 50% OFF SITES!

Nooj
10/06/2010
2:08:07 AM
thanks for that. cheats should have their own very special hell.
jsc
20/06/2010
5:16:16 PM
get them from kayakshed.com thats where I got mine, I've had these before I started indoor bouldering and these are definately no good, no grip at all. still using them until i get proper rock climbing shoes.
singersmith
20/06/2010
7:35:34 PM
I was really excited to try a pair but couldn't even get them on my feet. I think it's all about whether you have the right, kind of finger-like, toes. Mine are kind of tight and crunched and I had to unroll my toes and spread them apart to even come close to getting these things on my feet. Guess I'll have to stick with the bare feet god gave me for now.

russianSpy
22/06/2010
2:10:04 PM
another plug for Pinnacle Outdoors- got myself a pair of KSOs 2 weeks ago, they were very friendly, helpful, and gave me a discount to top it off =)

put the VFFs on as soon as I got home and went for a 5km run, probably not the smartest idea straight up- but it felt so good I have been raving on to most of my unfortunate friends and co-workers. Building up endurance in calves at the moment and looking forward to more "barefoot" and "barefoot-like" adventures. Can see how they'll be pretty good in scrambling!

dave h.
22/06/2010
3:58:25 PM
I was thinking about these earlier (I saw someone running on concrete in 5 Fingers while I was walking on grass). I would've thought the five fingers would be great for running on ovals and the like, as grass/dirt tends to have a little bit more give in it than concrete-y surfaces.

Wouldn't long-term running on concrete/asphalt/etc in 5Fingers increase your risk of some kind of repetitive injury? Or is the very idea that this might happen hideously wrong? As you can tell, health sciences are my long suite...
patto
22/06/2010
4:57:19 PM
On 22/06/2010 dave h. wrote:
>As you can tell, health sciences are my long
>suite...
I think you should keep that to yourself. :-p

On 22/06/2010 dave h. wrote:
>I was thinking about these earlier (I saw someone running on concrete in
>5 Fingers while I was walking on grass). I would've thought the five fingers
>would be great for running on ovals and the like, as grass/dirt tends to
>have a little bit more give in it than concrete-y surfaces.
>
>Wouldn't long-term running on concrete/asphalt/etc in 5Fingers increase
>your risk of some kind of repetitive injury? Or is the very idea that this
>might happen hideously wrong?
Humans have evolved to run. With a correct gait your calves and thighs absorb the impact.

dave h.
22/06/2010
5:49:33 PM
Yes but my point is that if you think we descended from the trees to the African savannah then our legs are actually adapted for savannah. IE grass/dirt. Not concrete. Are you saying the difference between the two surfaces is irrelevant?

Am I missing your point or are you missing mine? And can anyone tell anymore? :P
Maybe I should call the mythbusters...
patto
22/06/2010
6:57:41 PM
On 22/06/2010 dave h. wrote:
>Yes but my point is that if you think we descended from the trees to the
>African savannah then our legs are actually adapted for savannah. IE grass/dirt.
>Not concrete. Are you saying the difference between the two surfaces is
>irrelevant?
>
>Am I missing your point or are you missing mine? And can anyone tell anymore?
>:P
>Maybe I should call the mythbusters...

The surface does matter but, whatever the surface with the correct gait that utilises the shock absorbers in our legs, impact can be soft and controlled.

When I run with VFF I can never decide what is better concrete or soft grass. On concrete you really can't heel slap or you'll know it. The strike needs to be very much forefoot. Impact is still quite soft but your calves will be doing more work. On soft grass you can relax into a mid foot strike and get aways with greater heel impact but the squishiness of grass seems to reduce running efficiency.

Adaption in gait comes naturally. In shoes however with less flexible soles we seem to default to heel striking. Which even with cushioning padding can lead to greater impact than barefoot running.
dmnz
7/12/2010
9:29:35 PM
On 28/05/2010 Hugh wrote:
>what about buying vollies.. Essentially the same support and what.. 10%
>of the price..

Volleys heavy and they're not the same as your toes can't work separately.

I only run in the Injinji socks now and I notice a difference. Also can ice climb in the long injinji's though your feet get a little cooler. Good compromise still in my opinion as your feet stay drier on those overnighters

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
There are 27 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints