Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: SET of 8 "C4" Cams and 8 matching wire gates. Sizes .3 .4 .5 .75 1 2 3 & 4 and 8 anodised "neutrino" - wire gate karabiners.   $625.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Near miss in the rain
Steve M
5/05/2004
10:46:30 AM
Last Thursday while on charity buttress at Arap's witnessed an outdoor ed student teaching some other students trad leading just as it started to sprinkle. i was about to head up the adjacent climb but decided it was a bit wet and bailed. As I was taking my rack off I heard a yell and saw the guy plummetting head first towards the ground. Thankfully some gear held and somehow his hand hit the wall before his head.

A couple of thoughts - he was on a grade 8 climb, he had done it before, but obviosly even with only light rain it became slippery and and his foot slimed off.
- His legs were on the wrong side of the rope. - His helmet cam in pretty handy - he had anchored his belayer to the ground saving probably about 2m of his fall (he was a lot heavier) and probably saving him from serious injury - His belayer was obviously terrified by the incident.

About 5 min later to my surprise he was heading up again, despite the rain getting noticeably stronger. I'm pretty sure he survived though.
kieranl
5/05/2004
9:59:04 PM
No prizes for stupidity.
It's not like you're trying to hang out and lead a route on-sight, you're instructing so should be applying some safety principles.
That's one instructor we could do wihout.

Richard
6/05/2004
1:16:13 PM
>His belayer was obviously terrified by the incident.

They'll probably be super safety considerate for ever ! Maybe this instructor has given them a very memorable lesson - climbing is dangerous - and hence he's a really "good" instructor - while he survives!!

There are 3 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints