Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: Black Diamond "PosiWire" Quick-Draw Sets. (6 Pack) Top: Straight gate Positron. (Anodised Ink Blue) Bottom: HotWire Wire gate. (Anodised Ink Blue) Dogbone: 12cm long and 14mm wide. N/B SIX quick-draws N/B $16.50 per quick-draw.  $99.00
27% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

 Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 53
Author
Fall at Cliffhanger climbing gym
k
27/03/2007
11:05:51 PM

Hey

Has anyone heard how the guy who took a ground fall at Altona earlier this evening is doing? He seemed in a pretty bad way when I left.

Katherine

Rosie
28/03/2007
7:12:27 AM
When I left, the ambulance guys were there. His neck was braced, and so was his leg.

I really hope he is doing OK. It is awful to see something like that happen to anyone.
k
28/03/2007
7:30:07 AM
Yeah, pretty shocking alright. I guess I'm used to thinking the gym is pretty safe, but I guess accidents can happen anywhere.
TLockwood
28/03/2007
8:21:12 AM
Was he top roping or leading?
JohnK
28/03/2007
8:45:29 AM
At this stage indications are that Tom has a badly broken ankle and a broken vertabre in his back (not affecting his spinal chord). Hi is meant to be having surgery some time today and will be paying him a visit at the Alfred later this arvo.

westie
28/03/2007
9:22:26 AM
Sorry to hear about this.

at the risk of seeming uncaring, what was he doing... leading I presume. We can all learn from someone's mistakes (if indeed he made one).
jk
28/03/2007
9:36:09 AM
Thanks for the update John. We were all pretty worried about him. I hope the surgery goes well and that he makes a speedy recovery.
k
28/03/2007
9:41:48 AM
On 28/03/2007 TLockwood wrote:
>Was he top roping or leading?

He was leading.
andi nismo
28/03/2007
10:36:40 AM
I hope he's OK, but I also hope he stays away from 'real' rock!
jk
28/03/2007
10:51:30 AM
On 28/03/2007 andi nismo wrote:
>I hope he's OK, but I also hope he stays away from 'real' rock!

That's pretty damn rude.

skink
28/03/2007
10:52:50 AM
On 28/03/2007 phil_nev wrote:
>On 28/03/2007 andi nismo wrote:
>>I hope he's OK, but I also hope he stays away from 'real' rock!
>
>Why is that?

prejudice on andi nismo's part...

(tho this is merely speculation on my part, maybe andi knows all the facts)
jk
28/03/2007
11:04:27 AM
On 28/03/2007 andesite wrote:
>
>(tho this is merely speculation on my part, maybe andi knows all the facts)

Not very likely that andi knows any of the facts.
kd
28/03/2007
11:27:22 AM
What time did that happen? I must have missed it.

Hope the broken bits heal quickly

PreferKnitting
28/03/2007
11:52:28 AM
On 28/03/2007 andi nismo wrote:
>I hope he's OK, but I also hope he stays away from 'real' rock!

That comment is neither witty of insightful.

muki
28/03/2007
12:00:23 PM
Maybe Andy was refering to the long and protracted efforts of rescuers on behalf of there patients.
As apposed to the almost instant response time of an ambulance in the city at these indoor venues.
And like andy, I also hope he is OK

westie
28/03/2007
12:40:05 PM
On 28/03/2007 JohnK wrote:
>At this stage indications are that Tom has a badly broken ankle and a broken
>vertabre in his back (not affecting his spinal chord). Hi is meant to be
>having surgery some time today and will be paying him a visit at the Alfred
>later this arvo.

John,

can you tell us what occurred? did he miss the first clip? backclip? what went down?

cliffhanger
28/03/2007
12:50:32 PM
The facts that we have are:

Climber was Leading (at about the 10 mt mark)
Climber fell before clipping the q'draw
Climber took a ground fall
All Equipment (theirs and ours) was in working order
Climber and belayer were taken to the Alfred Hospital in a stable condition.
(Only family members can get updates on patient status.)

We appreciate the efforts of those customers that responded and assisted (Bill and Peter) and our staff who did everything by the book.

I believe our sprung floor reduced the injuries that could have been possible if the climber had hit concrete or "rock".

It would also be appreciated (by us and the cimbers involved) if people didn't speculate what did and didn't happen in this accident, but rather wait for the climber and belayer to tell the facts if they so desire to discuss them.

Cheers,

Tim
JohnK
28/03/2007
12:56:50 PM
On 28/03/2007 westie wrote:
>On 28/03/2007 JohnK wrote:
>>At this stage indications are that Tom has a badly broken ankle and a
>broken
>>vertabre in his back (not affecting his spinal chord). Hi is meant to
>be
>>having surgery some time today and will be paying him a visit at the
>Alfred
>>later this arvo.
>
>John,
>
>can you tell us what occurred? did he miss the first clip? backclip? what
>went down?


As I understand it, and I could be wrong, he was 10 meters up and fell as he was trying to clip one of the quickdraws. The belayer could not hold the fall and the rope ran through the belay device resulting in rope burn in the belayer's hand and the climber hitting the ground. He is one lucky boy. Obviously the belayer feels extremely depressed and totally down about what happened as well.
The important thing from here forward is to support the injured climber and to avoid placing any blame on anyone, especially as the facts have not yet been determined. Thanks for concern everyone and will pass everyone's well wishes to Tom.

westie
28/03/2007
12:57:33 PM
On 28/03/2007 westie wrote:
>On 28/03/2007 cliffhanger wrote:
>>The facts that we have are:
>>
>>Climber was Leading (at about the 10 mt mark)
>>Climber fell before clipping the q'draw
>>Climber took a ground fall
>>All Equipment (theirs and ours) was in working order
>>Climber and belayer were taken to the Alfred Hospital in a stable condition.
>>(Only family members can get updates on patient status.)
>>
>>We appreciate the efforts of those customers that responded and assisted
>>(Bill and Peter) and our staff who did everything by the book.
>>
>>I believe our sprung floor reduced the injuries that could have been
>possible
>>if the climber had hit concrete or "rock".
>>
>>It would also be appreciated (by us and the cimbers involved) if people
>>didn't speculate what did and didn't happen in this accident, but rather
>>wait for the climber and belayer to tell the facts if they so desire
>to
>>discuss them.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Tim

Was he leading on the wall where the crash mats were removed a few months ago? the steep textured wall with climbs 21+??

anthonyk
28/03/2007
1:20:21 PM
what sort of belay device was being used?

 Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 53
There are 53 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints