Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Austrialpin: OVALO Straight Gate. Strength: 25 10 8kN (Heavy Duty) N/B Perfect for Racking wired Nuts? IMO   $12.00
45% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Buffalo Gorge North Side Wilkinson's Lookout Environs [ Gorge Guide ] 

Topic Date User
to A5 is where its at Sunday, 20 June 2004 At 9:02:17 PM IdratherbeclimbingM9
It was an unsuccesful attempt on Lord Gumtree as a roped solo.

Basically went prepared for snow and got beaten off with 38+ degree heat, not enough water, too much gear, moving too slowly, blah blah etc.
Discretion is the better part of valour or so they say; and since I live locally to Buffalo its no big deal for me to return at a later date ...

Another party arrived to do Ozy Direct and invited me to join them, as I was in the process of coming down.
I agreed to tag along and offered to do their hauling and cleaning, since I have already led all pitches on that line, so I joined them at the Ozy 1st belay.
A day later they also decided to pull the pin for much the same reasons that I had, ... even though a team of three should (in theory) be much quicker than a team of two.

Since they arrived at this decision without my input it vindicated my thinking (by default), so that made me feel a bit better. As Gore Vidal once said,
"It is not enough to succeed, others must fail" !
... It was their second attempt on that line also, as they had been rained off previously.

I learnt a lot (mostly what not to take), and enjoyed several nights out on the wall on my new ledge, as I was climbing Gumtree solo onsight ground up (& without returning to the ground), capsule style.
The task is still before me, but I am quietly confident that I am equal to it. Just need to prioritise my other life events to fit another attempt in when the weather is more obliging ...

A trip report would probably be muchly on the technical side. Placed x stopper, y cam etc., but the idea of posting some soloist type musings on the meaning of it all in the form of a 'Damien style' of short story / excerpts from diary? might interest some??

There are 54 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints