Goto Chockstone Home

  Tech Tips

      Sponsored By

Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Why are the gyms focussing on toprope? 31-Jan-2008 At 12:44:23 PM garbie
The story here at Sydney Indoor:

we have around 70 routes you can lead (out of approx 250 routes total). About 40 of those 70 you can toprope if you want. The others are on the steep walls & roofs where the TRs are impractical, and on sections we've left free for leading only.

So there's the first reason for leading in gyms - getting onto terrain you just can't toprope.

But we cater for all tastes. 95% of our customers either can't, don't or won't lead, so we have around 100 TR's for them. But the other 5% are important to us for other reasons than $, they're the climbers, they're the kids practicing for comps, they're the newby leaders who do a little course we run and then practice before venturing out.

So in a nutshell, in Oz you can't have a business catering for just lead climbers (maybe you can in Europe), but you cut down on the fun in the business if you ignore the niches, the lead climbers, the boulderers, etc. It would be a bit vanilla without them.

There are 53 replies to this topic.


Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints