Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 25
Author
The ideal hiking pack

Jess
10-Jul-2006
6:34:33 PM
thanlks for all the advice, how much would you expect to pay for these packs? i wouldnt want to pay much more than 200, so would i be able to get a decent pack as described in replies above for that much? and is 65L enough for camping for say a week or two, excluding tent, including basic climbing gear and small rack. Im quite small so i dont think ill be able to carry a huge pack but its a waste if i cant fit enough in it...

climbau
11-Jul-2006
8:39:06 AM
To get the features that most have reccomended will cost a minimum of $350. But you may be able to haunt places that sell 2nd hand outdoor gear and get a quality pack for much less. I think Outdoor Recreation is a store that still exists in Melbourne and Sydney, others may be able to confirm.

tmarsh
11-Jul-2006
9:50:09 AM
re: canvas vs cordura.

Nylon based fabrics come in a heap of different weaves and thicknesses. Canvas really only seems to come in one. I have no doubt that there are flimsy nylon packs out there that wouldn't stand up as well as a canvas one. Equally, if you made the whole pack out of the thick cordura that protects the bottom of the pack it would weigh a ton.

If you're using a pack for cragging and want it to last, think about where your gear is. If you put your rack at the bottom of the pack (like most of us do), then everytime you plonk your pack down on a boulder or it slips off the lunch rock you will have thin material being pinched and abraded between metal and rock. Gettuing some thin EVA sleeping mat foam and lining the bottom of the pack with it will give you heaps more protection and something to sit on when all your gear's out of the pack.
kd
11-Jul-2006
11:30:10 AM
On 7/07/2006 nmonteith wrote:
>> You can always get a pack tote bag
>
>What are these worth - and where do i buy them? (normal city outdoor retailers?)

If you can't find anything else you could always try one of those stripey asian bags, and just tape the bejesus out of it once the big pack is in there!
JamieF
11-Jul-2006
3:24:08 PM
On 10/07/2006 Jess wrote:
>thanlks for all the advice, how much would you expect to pay for these
>packs? i wouldnt want to pay much more than 200, so would i be able to
>get a decent pack as described in replies above for that much? and is 65L
>enough for camping for say a week or two, excluding tent, including basic
>climbing gear and small rack. Im quite small so i dont think ill be able
>to carry a huge pack but its a waste if i cant fit enough in it...

As Climbau said, to get full featured pack would cost a lot more than that new. Having said that, you can get a really simple 65-70L pack (read one big compartment + lid compartment) in a good brand (such as a Macpac Ravine) for about $200...provided the more basic harness on these simpler models is OK for you.

Jamie

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 25
There are 25 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints