Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Good climbing point and shoot camera
Olbert
24-May-2018
12:04:02 PM
I'm looking for a camera that's good for climbing. Five years ago I bought a cheap ~$150 camera that I could hang off my harness (in a case) and take photos when on longer routes. The problem was, I was never happy with any of the photos (though that may have had something to do with the photographer) and I was to too cheap to buy a new one.

I'm now looking to get a new one between about $150 - $400 - though I could be convinced to go higher.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the "toughened" cameras - I don't want to use it underwater and it'll be carried in a camera case.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
gfdonc
24-May-2018
2:35:05 PM
Ah, cameras. I have far too many of them.
After much mucking around with this I bought a pana LX100 last year.

Before that, an Olympus XZ-1 circa 2011 which I still have in a drawer. Going cheap.

I normally carry a mirrorless micro 4/3 camera and lenses but wanted something more portable for multipitching. The LX100 is now 'old' in digital camera lifetimes (2014) but still ticks the boxes for me - light enough, very good image quality, great ergonomics (dials etc) and an electronic viewfinder which I think is a 'must' for shooting outdoors in bright light.

Others I looked at were the Panasonic LX-10 (smaller but no viewfinder), TZ-110 and also the Sony RX-100 series. I found the Sony's more fiddly to use but I think they have better image quality.

The LX100's main fault is that the exposure compensation dial is easy to turn accidentally. An upgraded LX200 is rumoured to come out later in the year.

Sample pic from Spain last year is below but bear in mind this has been downsized to screen resolution.

(removed)
24-May-2018
3:15:13 PM
Canon G9X was the smallest decent optical quality one I could find - with a focus on smaller as it really is small. Comfortably beat my Samsung S8+ in side by side optical comparisons (which you would hope / expect).

Originally bought it for hiking - with really great results. But have since taken it up plenty of multi pitches with similarly good results. Just - as always with digital cameras - stop zooming when you reach the limit of optical zoom.

I think there's a Mk II out now.

And if you do want to take it underwater, there's a dedicated housing for it too (separate, and costs the same as the camera !!!) .. .but it works a treat.
Olbert
25-May-2018
4:15:54 PM
Thanks for the response. I googled all the suggestions and went with the RX100 Mark III for $700. More than I had initially thought to pay but I think I just wanted a decent camera - and I think I had underpriced what I actually wanted.
martym
26-May-2018
9:59:30 AM
On 24-May-2018 gfdonc wrote:

>Sample pic from Spain last year is below but bear in mind this has been
>downsized to screen resolution.
>
Where in Spain? Looks amazing!
martym
26-May-2018
10:03:08 AM
Seems you've already made your choice, but for the record I did a ton of research on cameras under $500 - and everywhere I looked, the Olympus TG4 came out on top. It's one of the few tough cameras (and waterproof, though I know you weren't focused on that) that has a central lens that allows you to easily add to it if you wish.

https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Compact-Digital-Cameras/T-Series/TG-4/Overview
(removed)
27-May-2018
10:31:15 PM
On 26-May-2018 martym wrote:
>Seems you've already made your choice, but for the record I did a ton of
>research on cameras under $500 - and everywhere I looked, the Olympus TG4
>came out on top.

Each has their own areas they excel in - just gotta choose which one matters the most. The TG-4 (now 5) has a tiny, tiny sensor compared with most others which is one of the inputs to image quality.

And it's also heavier and bigger than the G9X I settled on. But that's to be expected, because I *chose* the G9X because it was the smallest of that particular range. The RX 100 above that he settled on as IQ that outdoes both of our cameras quite easily ... but is bigger than both (and should be compared with the G7X II in Canon).

That said, the TG-5 is much more durable (both for knocks and weather sealing). All comes down to which particular aspect matters most to you. In truth - and among the major brands - there are very few really bad choices,
gfdonc
28-May-2018
7:26:23 AM
On 26-May-2018 martym wrote:
>Where in Spain? Looks amazing!

Riglos. You missed my trip reports?
http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=2&MessageID=11079&Replies=3

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints