Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Re-wiring Wild Country Friends

shiltz
7-Mar-2003
4:10:03 PM
Anybody re-wired a Wild Country Friend. My 2.5 friend is about to give up the ghost and I'd like to repair it. The cams are still solid and the springs seem to be ok, its just the wires that have frayed to breaking point.
joemor
8-Mar-2003
7:23:32 PM
i think in the back of rock some guy advertises doing it, tho i bet its not that hard with one of those repair kits ive read about in wildcountry catalogues.

joe
kieranl
8-Mar-2003
10:58:40 PM
Arapile Mountain Shop will forward your cam to a repairer. There are other people who will do it, it's just that they are around the corner

Kieran
mikl law
10-Mar-2003
12:11:56 PM
Warwick Williams does a great job, 9416 6338 home or post them to 37 Crana Ave E Lindfield 2070. turn around is fast and he didn't a good, inexpensive job.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Mar-2003
12:27:38 PM
Iv'e had Warwick? Williams (the fellow who advertises in back of Rock Mag.) repair wires on a SLCD.
He did a top job and the SLCD still goes well*.

*This is relevant, because the frayed wire was the result of a concentration of stress on the cable due to 'excess flexing' at the point where it was crimped. Basically it could be considered a 'design fault' and wore out simply from use, rather than abuse.
I explained the dilema to Warwick and he incorporated heat shrink over that portion of the crimps and wires, to spread the stress which dissipated the tendancy to 'work harden' the wires at that point.

Although the heatshrink is looking worn the unit is still going strong 6 years after the repair.

shiltz
11-Mar-2003
4:56:32 PM
This is more or less exactly what has happened with mine. Thanks for the various repair recommendations. /shiltz
ima.seriousyoungliza
28-Aug-2016
5:46:15 PM
>>>Although the heatshrink is looking worn the unit is still going strong 6 years after the repair...

...so howz it goin these days ? ...nearly 20 years after said repair ...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
28-Aug-2016
9:58:42 PM
On 28/08/2016 ima.seriousyoungliza wrote:
>>>>Although the heatshrink is looking worn the unit is still going strong
>6 years after the repair...
>
>...so howz it goin these days ? ...nearly 20 years after said repair ...
>
For someone that I've never met, you know me too well hex(!), as yes, I still climb with my original Friends...
Surprisingly the heatshrink over new cable repairs is still working, though having said that, the items don't cop the flogging that they used to due to my acquiring a truckload of gear since, and consequently spreading my climbing usage-wear over many more items.

As a backup precaution I've also taken mental note of the Mikl-method of cable repairs to slcd's using line-trimmer (whippersnipper) cord, for any future cable breakages.
;-)

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints