Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
Author
2 person 4 season tents. Latest and greatest?
dalai
16-Jul-2016
9:29:46 AM
That won't happen gnaguts. I'll be pressing the PLB when I can't be bothered walking back to the car.

Any other tent suggestions?

Also sleeping mats? Considering the Exped Winterlite for an insulated mat. Am a bit concerned with the number of photos online where the baffles have unjoined though...
OzMamba
16-Jul-2016
1:43:54 PM
I ended up getting a nemo tenshi for mountaineering and high alpine routes. The Nemo is also single vestibule but single wall and its free standing internal pole structure makes it very stable and very good for snow loading. Excellent venting for a single wall tent. I looked at the macpac range including the minaret and decided on the tenshi. Minaret would not be a bad purchase though and its on sale right now. If you join the New Zealand Alpine Club you get 30% off RRP at MacPac. But seriously, the lighter the tent the better.

Sabu
17-Jul-2016
8:34:25 PM
On 16/07/2016 dalai wrote:
>Also sleeping mats? Considering the Exped Winterlite for an insulated
>mat. Am a bit concerned with the number of photos online where the baffles
>have unjoined though...

Look at the thermarest neo air xtherm.
johnpitcairn
18-Jul-2016
8:30:22 AM
I can vouch for the neoair xtherm being very very warm.
adrian
18-Jul-2016
9:16:12 AM
I have a MH EV2. Single skin, external poles, but above your 2kg mark. It is absolutely bombproof, and when it is cold is easily vented to avoid condensation (below zero with two people = no condensation inside). No vestibule either, so probably not what you're looking for.

As far as the sleeping pad - can't rave about the Exped Downmat enough. Will never take anything else to the snow again...

cruze
18-Jul-2016
10:10:17 AM
My Minaret is going strong after 12 years of good use. Plenty of trips above snowline in winter in NZ. Very warm tent and bombproof. I am 6 foot and it is good for me. My wife is 5'8" and the shorter side is good for her. The current model is probably lighter than mine.

Things to bear in mind:
- If you are truly above the snowline then the vestibule area can be dug out into a pit to increase vestibule volume;
- single skin tents are awesome in a very small niche of use - low external relative humidity with a temperature gradient inside warm to outside cold. In everything else I think you would regret the loss of the 1kg in weight. You might be OK with only a single person inside and the opportunity to dry the tent out each day (ie get sun);
-most single skin tents I have tried are built for tall people only if they sleep curled up;
- If you are truly above the snowline then tent pegs get replaced with bags (even plastic shopping bags) which reduces weight.
BBSR
18-Jul-2016
12:41:33 PM
I have a Nallo 3 from Hilleburg, and it has been pretty good so far. I'm always using it with 2 of us, but for a couple extra hundred grams you get quite a bit more space, which is pretty nice for a snow tent (I think totally worth it) . A friend has the Nallo 2, and it seems to go well with 2 in it anyway, so probably no need for the 3 if you want to lighten up. From memory they are both a bit more comfy than the 2nd arrow, which while quite a good tent, is a bit more squeezy.

Will_P
19-Jul-2016
11:57:19 AM
I tried to get a Crux single skin, sub 2kg tent before my last NZ trip in December, but they hadn't yet set up a workable overseas payment system. I ended up finding a Nemo Tenshi at 30% off, which is <2kg if you leave out the vestibule, and went with that.

https://www.crux.uk.com/product/x1-raid
radson
22-Jul-2016
10:19:00 AM
I have the Nemo Tenshi as well. Its super bomber. I also have a Hilleberg tent and they are pretty fantastic too.
Tripleshot
30-Jul-2016
12:49:04 PM
BD highlight. Seal the seams and its ok in light rain. Best ventilated of the alpine single skins, having big side vents. Handles serious snow and winds.
Can get an add on vestibule or rig a tarp to give extra cover.

The MHW tangent nice too but much heavier duty, tho still quite light. Maybe overkill if solo.

Ive found hilleberg ok till it gets cold, then they frost up far more than the price should allow.

Zarb
30-Jul-2016
4:15:44 PM
The Highlight is a pretty nice tent. It packs down so small and light.

But like any single skin tent, there is so much condensation (then frost) on the inside of the tent. Normally I wouldn't care, but because I'm just tall enough that my feet touch the end (even when lying diagonally), that I would wake up with a wet sleeping bag and cold feet :(

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
There are 31 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints