Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Ice / back country snowboarding gear?
dalai
6-Jul-2016
11:08:41 PM
With all this cold air about, I am thinking about finally getting into a bit of Ice and back country snowboarding or skiing.

In regards to boots to begin with, are there any models that would be suitable to use for both leaning towards technical ice climbing and also boarding / skiing? Thinking having something usable that I could spend the morning on ice and then skiing / boarding in the afternoon, without having to lug up two pairs of boots?

Recommendation for tools and crampons?

Any good sources of info?

Zarb
7-Jul-2016
12:29:25 AM
For skiing, the Dynafit TLTs are made for climbing technical ice using crampons. You can also use the TLTs for snowboarding using a very specific splitboard setup. I can't remember what they are called sorry.

Zarb
7-Jul-2016
12:32:15 AM
Actually scratch that, just remembered. The bindings are called Phantom Splitboard Bindings.

So if you get Dynafit TLT boots, you'll have a boot for splitboarding, skiing, and climbing.
Will_P
7-Jul-2016
11:57:33 AM
Check out Dane's blog for some super-indepth reviews and recommendations on AT boots for both sking and climbing - http://coldthistle.blogspot.com.
gfdonc
7-Jul-2016
12:30:02 PM
"So much gear, so little time cupboard space"
dalai
7-Jul-2016
11:47:34 PM
On 7/07/2016 Zarb wrote:
>Actually scratch that, just remembered. The bindings are called Phantom
>[B]Splitboard[/B] Bindings.
>
>So if you get Dynafit TLT boots, you'll have a boot for splitboarding,
>skiing, and climbing.

Thanks for the info guys. Please keep it coming...

Hadn't heard of split boarding till now. Sounds perfect! Use skins to climb up the slope, join the board together and glide back down.

Sabu
8-Jul-2016
8:02:34 AM
Regarding tools, see if you can pick up second hand somewhere as they are freaking expensive. Note that ice tools have a different set of specs than mountaineering axes so think about your intended use before buying. You can get some tools that will cover both general mountaineering and ice though such as bd venoms. You can also mod them with grip rests and reverse curve picks for better leashless climbing.

Otherwise, try have a play with different ice tool styles and see what you prefer. I much prefer leashless so have just picked up a pair of bd vipers (old model). Generally tools with a nice curve and a grip rest to stop you punching the ice will make for a better experience.

For crampons, any of the 12 point options from petzl, bd or grivel do the trick. Grivel g12s are very popular and petzl vasaks are an equivalent and have served me well. They'll get you up low angle to moderately steep ice just fine. Anything more steep and you might want to consider a more aggressive crampon. The most important thing with crampons is the binding and fit so have your boots first and buy what suits. Hope that helps!
dalai
8-Jul-2016
11:04:43 AM
Interested in ice tools rather than mountaineering at this point. Views may change in time...

I like the idea of boots like the Dynafit TLT's so I can use for both ice and split boarding / skiing. So crampons to fit those if that's what I get.

Zarb
8-Jul-2016
1:51:57 PM
There was an article somewhere on ColdThistle that went through all the crampons that fit well with the Dynafit TLTs. The article would be several years old by now though.
james
9-Jul-2016
6:13:37 AM
dynafit boots to use split boarding get $$ fast becuase you need to buy dynafit toe fittings + snow board bindings + split board.

Might be better to either ski thus get dynafit boots or board & use ice climbing boots in split board bindings. Even that is far from ideal... dynafit boots soft enough to climb in will feel too soft for skiing. & ice climbing boots won't feel great on the snow board. Big compromises since all the different boots are so specialized towards their intended use now.
dalai
9-Jul-2016
10:57:26 AM
No matter which way I go it will be $$$... Compromise with one pair of Dynafit boots trying to make them all rounders. Or two sets of gear $$$ and loose the flexibility say spending a block of time at Bogong wanting spent some time working on climbing plus get in some boarding lugging one pair of boots up hill.

Keen to hear more options. This is a whole new world so back to bumbly status for me and lots of reading.
climberman
9-Jul-2016
7:37:18 PM
On 7/07/2016 Will_P wrote:
>Check out Dane's blog for some super-indepth reviews and recommendations
>on AT boots for both sking and climbing - http://coldthistle.blogspot.com.
>

Fk me where has this blog been all my life? Cheers!

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints