Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
replacing cam trigger wires
mikllaw
6-Jun-2015
10:14:43 PM
2 random cams from the loaner rack with broken wires

A) the 2 right wires are gone, the 2 left wires have been repaired previously (one stainless wire, 1 nylon)

B) bend the wire near the cam fairly straight and snip it off, leave 4 mm or so to make it easier to remove from cam. To cut the wire, crimp hard and bend the section of wire sticking out back and forth.

C) I've bought a few thicknesses of nylon whippersnipper cord, and mostly use the 2 mm stuff, thicker cord will last decades but may need drilling the cam to insert

D) cut some cord that is long enuff to go from the trigger to the hole in the cam twice plus 30 mm or more, crimp it in the middle to sit in the trigger bar

E) with pliers put a 90 degree crimp in the nylon level with the holes in the cam, when the cam is sitting square to the stem

F) poke the nylon through, check that it's all even. leave 4mm sticking out an dsnip off excess

G) melt the nylon and squish the molten blob flat with a knife

H) Nylon flattened with knife

I) finished cam

phillipivan
7-Jun-2015
12:07:47 AM
You have mentioned doing this previously, without however, the pictorial essay. I loaned your idea and repaired an old camalot. Worked great.

Thanks.

pi.
TimP
7-Jun-2015
9:58:47 AM
Great cam repair. I like to see things cleverly fixed at home. I use a windproof lighter to melt nylon cord ends, got one with a little filament in it that radiates heat so melts without the mess a candle makes.
mikllaw
7-Jun-2015
6:57:04 PM
On 7/06/2015 TimP wrote:
>Great cam repair. I like to see things cleverly fixed at home. I use a
>windproof lighter to melt nylon cord ends, got one with a little filament
>in it that radiates heat so melts without the mess a candle makes.

I only have low tech,it was that or a gas axe. I have a cam I repaired in 2006 that is still going strong, probably gets used 10 times a year.

ajfclark
8-Jun-2015
8:02:44 AM
Rather than use the candle directly, I'd try to heat up an old knife.

If you have an electric stove with the coil elements, that works really well for heating up a knife for this kind of thing. Wedge the knife over, under, over and then turn the plate on.

E. Wells
8-Jun-2015
9:10:51 AM
Then you get a freind to squeeze the hot knives together while you stand over them with the inside of a toilet roll.
Ball_Bagg
8-Jun-2015
10:14:06 AM
Brilliant Mr Claw. Technology convergence- climbing with gardening. I also love the candle holder.

ajfclark
8-Jun-2015
10:50:03 AM
On 8/06/2015 E. Wells wrote:
>Then you get a freind to squeeze the hot knives together while you stand
>over them with the inside of a toilet roll.

Or the cut off end of PET bottle that's been in the freezer for a while...

Are you from NZ?

spiinal
8-Jun-2015
11:39:44 AM
Thanks for that Mike. I'll be doing my own from now on too.

M

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints