Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
unseizing cams
widewetandslippery
9-Apr-2015
10:59:26 AM
My best mate Francis has pissed on my cams. They are seized.

I have tried WD40 with no luck.

Any tips on chemicals or should I try and break the bond with a hammer or vice.

Also whats anyones opinion on a Branxton pig dogs piss on the webbing?

This is not a piss take, I am very serious about this.

shortman
9-Apr-2015
11:29:19 AM
On 9/04/2015 widewetandslippery wrote:
>My best mate Francis has pissed on my cams. They are seized.
>
>I have tried WD40 with no luck.
>
>Any tips on chemicals or should I try and break the bond with a hammer
>or vice.
>
>Also whats anyones opinion on a Branxton pig dogs piss on the webbing?
>
>This is not a piss take, I am very serious about this.

Straight up fish oil. $3 from Woolies.
mikllaw
9-Apr-2015
12:36:57 PM
when I've had cams that were seized from seawater (booty from Cruise or Bruise at The Gap) I soaked them with water (wash out salt) and WD40 for quite a while till they were ok, one I unbolted and tapped the shaft through (not possible these days).

Most of them returned to quite sticky behaviour quite quickly despite lots of lube, maybe the roughness makes it more corrosion prone. Sad
martym
9-Apr-2015
1:26:52 PM
is Franics the dog?

Tried Cam Lube?

Eduardo Slabofvic
9-Apr-2015
2:49:49 PM
I don't think you've go any right to do anything to the cams, since they are clearly Francis' cams now.

What does Francis want to do with his cams?

DangerLaef
9-Apr-2015
3:29:08 PM
While WD40 cleans great, I've found it if you leave it on as lube it's a dirt magnet.

I've always been happy with spray silicon lubricant like "3 in 1" on cams & krabs.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9-Apr-2015
3:48:53 PM
>My best mate Francis has pissed on my cams. They are seized.
>
>I have tried WD40 with no luck.
>
>Any tips on chemicals or should I try and break the bond with a hammer
>or vice.
>
>Also whats anyones opinion on a Branxton pig dogs piss on the webbing?
>
>This is not a piss take, I am very serious about this.

Pedant alert.
i before e, except after c.
?

G'day ww&s, long time no hear...

Where does Chloe fit into this scenario?

My best dog mate doesn't piss on my gear because the gear is locked in a tin trunk.

Re dog's piss on webbing: ... without searching for the source, I vaguely recall that 'piss' is bad for webbing, particularly if your dog is a cat in disguise.

WD40 is a starter, but graphite is better once they are freed from Francis's claim...

Are you in for wallwombat's planned Buffalo or Booroomba trip?

Macciza
9-Apr-2015
3:50:45 PM
I've had success with hammering, both with and on, cams before ....
One Day Hero
9-Apr-2015
4:47:34 PM
I revived a very rusted up cam by soaking in wd for a couple of weeks, then hammering. Cam works fine, just like new. I'd probably replace the slings while you're at it.
Wendy
9-Apr-2015
6:09:30 PM
Soak in petrol or metho or acetone? Seeing you've got dog's piss on the slings, a few splashes of the above probably isn't anyworse ... I'd go new slings. Just think about putting them in your mouth at some point and remembering the dog's pee even if you aren't concerned enough about them being weakened.

Macciza
10-Apr-2015
12:23:03 AM
On 9/04/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>

>
>Pedant alert.
>i before e, except after c.
>?
>
Pedants pedant alert...
Unfortunately there are more cases that break the rule then adhere to it...
Unless you want get fancier and ignore certain species of words ...
Which doesn't make it too efficient or scientific....
Maybe in ancient societies it was used by sheikhs at their leisure...
But your average Keith or Sheila really doesn't care ...
And Neil Monteith thinks it's a most heinous rule!

Sorry really it's a case of 'I before e except after c, unless it's one of about 900 hundreds words from this easy to remember mnemonic . . . .

ambyeok
10-Apr-2015
12:57:04 PM
I doff my hat to you Macciza
kieranl
10-Apr-2015
1:54:52 PM
Macciza is correct and it can be expressed more succinctly as "i goes before e except where it doesn't".
bentobox
11-Apr-2015
3:38:43 PM
i read this as "upsizing" cams … thought there was some crazy dirtbag method for turning a .75 into a 6 haha.

Macciza
11-Apr-2015
9:57:04 PM
On 11/04/2015 bentobox wrote:
>i read this as "upsizing" cams … thought there was some crazy dirtbag method for turning a .75 into a 6 haha.

Well actually there is an ancient dirt bag method for upsizing cams, but not that much . .
Maybe .75 to 1 -
Leave cam to somewhere to weathered ( or pissed upon) until it is seized good and proper, preferably at the open end of its range. Alternatively hammer out some booty treasure somewhere....
Whack it on the ground pretty damn hard to make sure it's actually dead, and unlikely to suddenly spring back to life and ruin a good placement...
Still seized? Offer it back if you know who's it was, or anyone else interested, they won't want it...

Cool .... Perfect passive placement material, time tested, and sacrifice-able .... Score . . .

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Apr-2015
10:25:19 AM
On 10/04/2015 Macciza wrote:
>Pedants pedant alert...

Fair enough and thank you for the clarification Macca.
It would appear that you have seized the day and usurped ajf as president of the Chocky pedant club!
;-)
prb
13-Apr-2015
12:16:12 PM
Pedantry is an addiction that can be overcome, just write something substantial enough. In the first printing of a guidebook I did a few years ago, "echidna" appeared as "echnida". I needed therapy after that.

shortman
13-Apr-2015
3:53:10 PM
Ha ha prb, :)
BA
13-Apr-2015
5:31:51 PM
On 13/04/2015 prb wrote:

>I needed therapy after that.

I'm still in therapy after I put "Christ Baxter" instead of Chris Baxter in a guide many years ago. But I am comfortable about another typo that got through; I put "blot" instead of "bolt".

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Apr-2015
10:52:15 AM
>My best mate Francis has pissed on my cams.

This rockandice article is about dogs piss on rope (yes, I know rope is not cam), and might interest some?

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints