Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Best device or system for rappelling thin ropes?
canbedone
5-Feb-2015
9:26:31 PM
What do you recommend as the best abseil device or system for rappelling a single thin rope over a long distance? I find a standard ATC with one screw gate hard work over 50-100 meters and my braking hand struggles. Is there a trick to making it easier? Will 2 screw gates help create more friction?

Miguel75
5-Feb-2015
9:52:21 PM
I climb on 9mm doubles, I'm 95kg, and find an extra biner and gloves helpful... As a caveat, I'm on 55m ropes;)

Timfreddo
5-Feb-2015
9:56:00 PM
Clip the abseil rope into a biner on your leg loop, and then hold the rope above this redirection biner for more friction. Doesn't work so well if you're using an autoblock prusik also attached to your leg loop.

Can also wrap your leg around the rope, or wrap the rope the whole way under your butt and hold up with left hand (assuming you're right handed)...

Using a reverso 4 or ATC guide can help for a little while, then the teeth get worn out and your pretty much back to square one...
Paul
5-Feb-2015
11:27:43 PM
On 5/02/2015 Cliff wrote:
>munter works well but will twist the ropes
>
>how thin is thin
>
>EDIT

Monster munter works even better, and doesn't twist the rope. The biner would probably get quite hot on a long abseil though.

Macciza
6-Feb-2015
12:26:16 AM
I've got a smaller size ATC type device meant for thin ropes that works pretty well
Keep your eye out for something similar , it makes a hell of a difference ...
mikllaw
6-Feb-2015
7:01:09 AM
this setup adds ~ 40% more friction, you have the device reversed so that the braking rope (no, not the breaking rope) comes out towards you, then dives back through the locking biner. I use this fro bolting on a single 9mm rope, sometimes with an extra biner.
Lee C
6-Feb-2015
7:41:31 AM
A second (or third) locker works really well.

IronCheff
6-Feb-2015
10:24:37 AM
The Mega or Micro Jul depending on your rope dia. It has the option of rapping in assisted or non assisted mode.

Eduardo Slabofvic
6-Feb-2015
11:06:32 AM
On 6/02/2015 Cliff wrote:
>That's what I would use for a very heavy abseil too but the OP's references
>to 100m rope length, thin, and difficulty controlling descent had me wonder
>if he was referring to thin as in 5-7mm "accessory cord", in which case
>I'd err on the side of not generating too much heat. It seemed unlikely
>to me that he was referring to 100m twin/double rope, but I suppose that's
>a possibility.

Ask to borrow ODH's whaletail

shortman
6-Feb-2015
11:08:55 AM
On 5/02/2015 canbedone wrote:
>What do you recommend as the best abseil device or system for rappelling
>a single thin rope over a long distance? I find a standard ATC with one
>screw gate hard work over 50-100 meters and my braking hand struggles.
>Is there a trick to making it easier? Will 2 screw gates help create more
>friction?
>
Use a dedicated SRT device.
One Day Hero
6-Feb-2015
11:55:29 AM
I've recently done a bit of experimenting abseiling on silly thin stuff in canyons (that 40cm deep puddle at the bottom will cushion my fall, right?)

The method which worked best was to put the atc out on a 60cm sling from the belay loop (euro style), then run the hand-end of the ropes down through a biner on the leg loop, then back up to another biner attached to the atc biner.......looks kind of like a hauling system, was very controlable.

Would be much better to draw it, but I couldn't be stuffed. Also, if you die, don't come crying to me.

The good Dr
6-Feb-2015
11:59:37 AM
A Petzl Freino locker may be the go.

http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/Carabiners/FREINO?l=US#.VNQSCy6LU0U

freesolo
7-Feb-2015
10:20:06 AM
http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/images/rappel_device_extended.jpg

this has always worked for me with two thin ropes. you may have to put an extra wrap of your autoblock cord for wet ropes or rainy rappell. unlike the diagram, i don't put my left hand anywhere near the device (( and i hold the autoblock cord, not the rope to save any skin removal on my right hand. and like the diagram, works well for single line rappells.

this is not for fast rappelling!!, but it gives lots of control and safety. and all the gear should be part of your rack anyway.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52665

this setup in the picture was mentioned by another poster (ODH). it works as described, BUT, no autoblock means if, for any reason, you lose control of your brake hand,(do you really need another selfie??) the very skinny, hard to hold, totally stretched out rope, will zing away at warp speed, and gravity will win out, as it does.
canbedone
11-Feb-2015
3:34:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the double locker will work or the Euro style set up is easy to do. Will give them both a go. The rope is 9mm static - 140 meters long was given to me new. I want to use it for quick assess into climbs without having to use 2 rope and multiple rethreads to get down.

Quick in slower out :)

Macciza
11-Feb-2015
5:14:06 PM
Get a MicroJul, you should be able to stuff the top in till it wears in...
Or Mamut Smart Alpine sm size . .
Or get a bit of thick aluminium or stainless and drill and file a thin slot in it, attach some thin keeper cord, for diy thin stitch plate..
Or wrap rop around your body for a bit of extra friction...
Or best yet, get some gloves and learn to star dive face first in free fall, only braking at the last moment..
Good luck

phillipivan
12-Feb-2015
7:17:41 AM
Ive done alot of rapping on single 7.8mm ropes, usually simul rapping. My reverso 4, extended off the harness with a autobloc/prussik below it clipped to the belay loop works fine with no difficulty to control without any additional tricks.

The reverso 4 certainly seems tailored more towards use with thinner ropes than some of the other devices I have used like the atc guide.

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints