Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
Author
Marking middle of rope- what to use
Ollie1
3-Nov-2014
9:39:44 PM
Just wanting to mark the middle of my 10.2 dynamic and wondering what to use that wont adversly affect the rope. Thanks in advance, Ollie
dan_b
3-Nov-2014
10:07:27 PM
Check manufacturers website. Laundry marker probably fine though.
martym
3-Nov-2014
11:36:47 PM
On 3/11/2014 dan_b wrote:
>Check manufacturers website. Laundry marker probably fine though.

WOW - google brings up two basic types:
"Artline 750 Laundry Marker" - around $45
or
"2 Fabric Pens Markers Black Ink Laundry School Work Water Based Fabric Pen" $3.47 (so $1.75)

Makes you wonder which one you'd buy to mark your safety rope with...
patto
4-Nov-2014
12:12:46 AM
http://www.sterlingrope.com/media/document/techmanual.pdf

23. Should I mark my rope with a permanent marker?
The UIAA recently conducted a limited amount of testing using the standard UIAA 101 drop testing procedures with ropes marked with a several different permanent markers. The results of those tests are summarized as follows:

Notification concerning Rope Marking issued: April 2002
Tests done by the UIAA Safety Commission and by some rope manufacturers have shown that rope marking with liquids such as those provided by felt-tipped pens can be dangerous, even with those markers, sold specifically for marking ropes. The test results showed a decrease up to approximately 50% of the rope strength, more correctly: of the energy absorption capacity of the rope (expressed by the number of falls in the standard test method in accordance with the European Standard EN 892) Therefore the UIAA Safety Commission warns against marking a rope with any substance that has not been specifically approved by the rope manufacturer of that rope.
patto
4-Nov-2014
12:15:44 AM
Other discussion here:
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/how-to-mark-the-middle-of-the-rope-t63126.html

Personally I despite what I posted above from Sterling, I doubt there is much risk in marking a rope. However I personally would never mark my rope with a any type of ink.

ajfclark
4-Nov-2014
9:35:06 AM
A guy I know used to used a piece of bright thread and a blunt needle. Easy to remove when you chop the ends again.
dave
4-Nov-2014
11:57:53 AM
Here is another option, made by a rope manufacturer:
http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/products/tendon-rope-marker

Drake
4-Nov-2014
4:14:45 PM
On 4/11/2014 ajfclark wrote:
>A guy I know used to used a piece of bright thread and a blunt needle.
> Easy to remove when you chop the ends again.

I've marked the middle of my ropes with needle and thread, being careful only to put the needle through the rope sheath. It looks something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEE3o3moXA

Unfortunately my thread was ripped apart and needed to be removed after a few passes of a weighted rope through a belay device (i.e., after a few abseils).
maxdacat
5-Nov-2014
9:11:03 AM
Not sure why this is such a big deal.....i've manage with plenty of ropes with no middle mark?
gfdonc
5-Nov-2014
9:47:48 AM
Bicolour ropes are da bomb. Can be hard to get though.

vwills
5-Nov-2014
11:13:47 AM
Do 12 consecutive 30m simul raps with no middle mark. Would have cut rope handling significantly. We had one, but can no longer see it. I have tried the thread method but it didn't last, and has left some minor sheath damage.
patto
5-Nov-2014
3:20:09 PM
Bi-pattern ropes all the way. Seeing the middle is super easily in low light and from a distance. And you know know which end of the rope is on top of that stack.

They are expensive, but your rope is important. Skip a few beers and you can make your life much easier with bi-pattern.
PDRM
5-Nov-2014
5:36:19 PM
On 5/11/2014 patto wrote:
>Bi-pattern ropes all the way. Seeing the middle is super easily in low
>light and from a distance. And you know know which end of the rope is
>on top of that stack.
>
>They are expensive, but your rope is important. Skip a few beers and
>you can make your life much easier with bi-pattern.

+1

IdratherbeclimbingM9
5-Nov-2014
7:49:26 PM
On 5/11/2014 PDRM wrote:
>On 5/11/2014 patto wrote:
>>Bi-pattern ropes all the way. Seeing the middle is super easily in low
>>light and from a distance. And you know know which end of the rope is
>>on top of that stack.
>>
>>They are expensive, but your rope is important. Skip a few beers and
>>you can make your life much easier with bi-pattern.
>
>+1
Even if I skip a bottle of scotch, I'd still want a lottery win ;-), though yes I agree that they look to be excellent for purpose.
maxdacat
6-Nov-2014
9:40:09 AM
On 5/11/2014 vwills wrote:
>Do 12 consecutive 30m simul raps with no middle mark. Would have cut rope
>handling significantly. We had one, but can no longer see it. I have tried
>the thread method but it didn't last, and has left some minor sheath damage.

I'm confused.....in that situation why wouldn't you just tie both 60m ropes together and voila, mark the middle with the knot and halve the number of raps!

vwills
6-Nov-2014
10:10:20 AM
Because you only have one rope (a 70m), for the climb. Short raps are sometimes better when it's windy, or potential for stuck ropes in cracks, trees etc.
patto
6-Nov-2014
11:39:41 AM
On 6/11/2014 vwills wrote:
>Because you only have one rope (a 70m), for the climb. Short raps are sometimes
>better when it's windy, or potential for stuck ropes in cracks, trees etc.

Agreed. If you are doing a 350m+ climb then taking a second rope for the descent is not a trivial matter.
DMWdesign
17-Nov-2014
5:59:17 PM
On 3/11/2014 Ollie1 wrote:
>Just wanting to mark the middle of my 10.2 dynamic and wondering what to
>use that wont adversly affect the rope. Thanks in advance, Ollie

I have always use Beal Rope Marker on Edelrid ropes and have recently applied same to a Tendon rope.

Drake
18-Nov-2014
12:49:36 PM
>I have always use Beal Rope Marker on Edelrid ropes and have recently
>applied same to a Tendon rope.

I would be moderately concerned about doing that:

Quoted from Patto's post above:
"Tests done by the UIAA Safety Commission and by some rope manufacturers have shown that rope marking with liquids such as those provided by felt-tipped pens can be dangerous, even with those markers, sold specifically for marking ropes. The test results showed a decrease up to approximately 50% of the rope strength"
DMWdesign
20-Nov-2014
10:47:32 AM
On 18/11/2014 Drake wrote:

>
>I would be moderately concerned about doing that:
>
Thanks Drake, yes - moderately concerned
Not wanting to tempt fate, but I have been using a set of marked (static) ropes for the last 10 years for canyoning.

I'm surprised with the research but I would have thought if Beal approves it for theirs and a no of other brands, it would be OK. Interesting.

I will do some research and report back

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
There are 24 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints