Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 39
Author
Favourite nut tool

shortman
9-Oct-2014
8:05:47 PM
Wendy and co have inspired me to start a new thread.

I like the metolius one that costs about $50. It has a rounded top and I was talked into buying it by someone at MD and I'm stoked. I reckon the WC is shit.
Wendy
9-Oct-2014
8:26:20 PM
A $50 nut key? Does it take itself off your harness and remove the gear for you as well???

Miguel75
9-Oct-2014
9:21:20 PM
I love my 250mm Stanley nut key. I notched the flat blade and there's very little this sucka can't remove;)

ChuckNorris
9-Oct-2014
10:05:36 PM
There is already a thread devoted to love of nut tools....why start another?

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=10&MessageID=14449&Replies=20&MsgPagePos=-1#NewPost

ChuckNorris
9-Oct-2014
10:43:43 PM
Cross link to a post on the original nut key thread

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=10&MessageID=14449&Replies=21&MsgPagePos=-1#NewPost

shortman
10-Oct-2014
7:25:07 AM
Cross link to moderator stugangs answer in another topic-

> I am proud to say I've never paid cash for a nut tool. My one and only was kind of inherited from a guy I started climbing with - we bought half a rack each and I ended up with the tool through some process of gear osmosis that happens after a long time of climbing together that slowly degenerates into a loathing of climbing together. I happily took ownership of his tool which was fair because he @$%$%$^%% *()^*&&!!!## RP’d me.

>My nut key was in damp storage when I went O/S for a few years and was a rusty shell of itself when I returned. When I came back I lovingly cracked all the rust off and massaged it with olive oil for days on end and i am proud to say my tool is as proud and magnificent as it was in those early halcyon days.

shortman
10-Oct-2014
7:25:59 AM
On 9/10/2014 Wendy wrote:
>A $50 nut key? Does it take itself off your harness and remove the gear
>for you as well???

Totally. It's like magic.

shortman
10-Oct-2014
7:26:36 AM
On 9/10/2014 Miguel75 wrote:
>I love my 250mm Stanley nut key. I notched the flat blade and there's very
>little this sucka can't remove;)

This thing is a classic. How it hasn't stabbed you yet, I will never know.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Oct-2014
9:24:58 AM
On 9/10/2014 stugang wrote:
>There is already a thread devoted to love of nut tools....why start another?
>
... Pity the poor person who started that thread trying to sell a climbing rack!
Heh, heh, heh.

shortman
10-Oct-2014
10:27:24 AM
>Wendy used the wrong thread and wrote:

In summary, they are strong enough to give things a good bash but still light weight and non bulky. The new one are overengineered and annoyingly bulkier, reshaped and that mini clip thing annoying to use, plus having it clipping direct to your harness seems like a good way to have it end up impaled in your kidney but with it on a string as mine is, the string is still through the clip and could well come unclipped on me. I have 2 others running around that I found, one I managed to break getting gear out and the other has a stupid fat handle and short pick bit rendering it almost useless for anything but the most shallow gear.

Dan, you can cut and paste this to your nut key thread if you really want!

shortman
10-Oct-2014
10:28:29 AM

This thing is the bomb, :)
Wendy
10-Oct-2014
10:35:46 AM
What makes that any different to the ne WC one that I have just bagged out?

shortman
10-Oct-2014
10:49:04 AM
I'm with ya on the clippy thing which I don't use. I use a split ring to the body with one of those key chain things that stretch. The rounded end makes it very hand bashable. The WC one is like tapping a knife.

I'm convinced that you're just jealous that my nut tool is better than your nut tool Wendy, :)

ajfclark
10-Oct-2014
11:06:10 AM
No Dan, the WC one I have isn't too bad on the hands:

I used to use a BD thing that is a lot more like bashing a knife:

The only good thing about it is the built in bottle opener.

shortman
10-Oct-2014
11:10:02 AM
On 10/10/2014 ajfclark wrote:
>No Dan, the WC one I have isn't too bad on the hands:
>
Yeah, those things are good on the hands, not Wendy's old thing.
>
>I used to use a BD thing that is a lot more like bashing a knife:
>
>
>
>The only good thing about it is the built in bottle opener.

Kind of looks like a giraffe if you stare at it long enough. Surely another good attribute?? :)
Wendy
10-Oct-2014
11:13:43 AM
Who uses their hands to bash the end of a nut key???? Surely you can't get any decent force without actually hurting yourself? I grab a large cam and use it like a hammer or a large nut and use it like a rock.

shortman
10-Oct-2014
11:16:44 AM
On 10/10/2014 Wendy wrote:
>Who uses their hands to bash the end of a nut key????

The diligent Metolius nut key user of course.

>Surely you can't get any decent force without actually hurting yourself?

I beg to differ.

>I grab a large cam and use it like a hammer or a large nut and use it like a rock.

Ah, Wendy....I remember the days of not using my Metolius nut key.

Eduardo Slabofvic
10-Oct-2014
11:28:27 AM
Stugang is my favorite nut tool

ajfclark
10-Oct-2014
11:46:19 AM
On 10/10/2014 Wendy wrote:
>Who uses their hands to bash the end of a nut key????

That BD thing will cut you for just poking at something.

Sabu
10-Oct-2014
12:15:49 PM
I have one of these. Works well and the knife is handy for any partners that decide to pull a Joe Simpson on me (its most common use however is to cut cheese)...

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 39
There are 39 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints