Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
Author
Bowlines - who uses what?

IronCheff
1-May-2013
12:25:02 PM
Clearly a Bowline or Figure 8 tied correctly are effective. Whats the difference if they are not tied correctly. From what I have seen a stuffed up fig 8 usually ends up as an Overhand knot which is still quite an effective knot. I have no experience with Bowlines are they usually stuffed up the same way.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1-May-2013
12:54:18 PM
On 1/05/2013 IronCheff wrote:
>Clearly a Bowline or Figure 8 tied correctly are effective. Whats the
>difference if they are not tied correctly.

You will die, as irish Eddy O'slabofvic noted!
Heh, heh, heh.

>From what I have seen a stuffed
>up fig 8 usually ends up as an Overhand knot which is still quite an effective
>knot. I have no experience with Bowlines are they usually stuffed up the
>same way.

If you mean by human error then yes, but they are different knots and by default it would be hard to stuff them up the same way regarding incorrect rethreading etc.
Both of those knots are a lot more secure, even in their stuffed up versions(!), by having keeper knots tied in their tails, as most things I have read about 'failures' of these knots are associated with the lack of a keeper knot.

In today safety conscious world I find it interesting that fear of knot failure seems a heightened issue...
When I started in the game, the lead rope wrapped around the waist and tied with a bowline was standard practice, and back then knot failure was regarded as a lesser evil than- *

(*insert your own imaginative fear here!)
;-)

Macciza
1-May-2013
5:48:40 PM
Hmm, I'll bight . . ;~}

I generally go with a bowline, yosemite tie=off and stopper knot - bowline gets tied in pretty much 1 continual action, so I don't really stop midt-tying, and the Yosemite return flows straight from that which gives me a back up, the the overhand stopper knots iuse up leftover tail end of rope.

Also use rewoven double bowline with loop sizes different for various reasons on occasions, usually as a hopeful load reducer or because I have too much tail . . .

Have also tried the Tarbuck as a sliding load reducing knot, and both the Alpine Butterfly and Euro Guide Quick Knot . . .

As others have said - the main thing is that whatever you tie, it does knot come undone unintentionally . . .

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
There are 23 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints