Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 48
Author
Tag-line Rappel around a tree

sliamese
21-Feb-2013
9:09:44 PM
Yep, but an EDK with another EDK does all that but wont roll! Fishermans is a redunant knot in my book, only a triple for spectra but too hard to untie, and people tie it wrong about 50% of the time in my experience.

They all do the same job, i dont think the extra two inches taken by one would ever be the difference between making the next anchor and swinging in space.

ChuckNorris
21-Feb-2013
11:21:53 PM
On 21/02/2013 sliamese wrote:
>Yep, but an EDK with another EDK does all that but wont roll! Fishermans
>is a redunant knot in my book, only a triple for spectra but too hard to
>untie, and people tie it wrong about 50% of the time in my experience.
>
>
>They all do the same job, i dont think the extra two inches taken by one
>would ever be the difference between making the next anchor and swinging
>in space.

When you say edk with another edk..do you mean doing anothe edk using the tails of the first edk as a stopper? 90% sure thats what you meant but just want to check.

Zarb
22-Feb-2013
7:58:13 AM
Tying a single EDK with plenty of tail would prevent disaster if it rolls, correct?

Miguel75
22-Feb-2013
8:04:28 AM
On 22/02/2013 Zarb wrote:
>Tying a single EDK with plenty of tail would prevent disaster if it rolls,
>correct?

I usually tie the EDK with long tails and then put a triple fisherman on each tail for added redundancy;)"
Olbert
22-Feb-2013
8:49:36 AM
On 22/02/2013 Zarb wrote:
>Tying a single EDK with plenty of tail would prevent disaster if it rolls,
>correct?

No, the edk doesn't roll anyway. The long tails are so when the rope cinches tight the tails won't slip through.

sliamese
22-Feb-2013
2:39:35 PM
>I usually tie the EDK with long tails and then put a triple fisherman
>on each tail for added redundancy;)"

without a re-threaded fig-8 and and a re-threaded alpine butterfly(see how-long that takes you to figure out!)? If you don't have at least 3 knots you have a deathwish....

But on a serious not, i have watched an EDK roll slightly on two different diameter ropes so now do exactly as my amigo above says and puts in another one. Probably entirely uneccessary but im a scaredy cat now as I've witnessed many strange things with ropes etc performing entirely as we're told they wont. Better safe than sorry and it adds about 45 seconds to your abseil process, even if its an 18-pitch abseil route, seems worth it to me...

trog
22-Feb-2013
4:10:26 PM
I like to back it up but not tight against the first knot leaving room to see if it is rolling. Then last man down takes out the back if the main knot hasn't rolled. Once tightened by the first rap i generally trust it...
Adju
st for your level of paranoia vs fear of getting snagged...

Miguel75
22-Feb-2013
4:11:18 PM
On 22/02/2013 sliamese wrote:
>>I usually tie the EDK with long tails and then put a triple fisherman
>>on each tail for added redundancy;)"
>
>without a re-threaded fig-8 and and a re-threaded alpine butterfly(see
>how-long that takes you to figure out!)? If you don't have at least 3 knots
>you have a deathwish....

;)

>But on a serious not, i have watched an EDK roll slightly on two different
>diameter ropes so now do exactly as my amigo above says and puts in another
>one.
...Snip...

I do exactly the same. Two EDK's, no fishermans...

Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 48
There are 48 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints