Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Scarpa: Scarpa "Mystic GTX" Approach Shoe. Premium model. Gortex lined. Vibram Sole. Climbing toe... Size 43 Eur. (10 USm)  $149.00
50% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Tent recommendations

zarb
21/01/2013
11:05:33 AM
Greetings all,

I am after some recommendations from the masses for a new LW winter tent. I previously had a BD Hilight, and so far it has been the best tent I have ever owned in terms of weight, packability, and ease of use. Problem is that it is too short. In winter, my feet would be pressed up against the wall of the tent, and my sleeping bag would get soaked and freezing.

Are there any other tents out there that are of a similar quality and weight, but with longer dimensions? A vestibule would be desirable as well. I have already checked a lot of the major brands but while they too offer similar tents, none of them are much longer than the Hilight.

Cheers
adrian
21/01/2013
11:24:18 AM
How about the Mountain Hardwear EV2? With the integrated vestibule you should have sufficient length. It does come with a pretty hefty price tag though!
Damo666
21/01/2013
12:16:41 PM
The EV2 is long but can get bad condensation and not everybody likes the integrated vestibule (lets snow in). Expensive.

Bibler/BD Tempest is nice and long but quite a bit heavier than a Hilight/Firstlight type. I have used these a lot.

Hilleberg make some longer models, though check the internal height. I used a Jannu on Pik Lenin last year and it was long enough but uncomfortably low. John at Paddy Pallin at Jindabyne is importing and selling Hillebergs direct now, so the price is not as painful as it used to be.

Macpac Minaret has staggered floor, so one side is around 7ft long, but it's double wall and internally not so high. Good tent though. I'm 6' 7" and have used one for years. Latest models were a bargain on special at Macpac recently. Expensive at full price.

MSR Fury is also meant to be long but I don't like the flat roof bit.
Decoy
21/01/2013
3:14:12 PM
I've been using a Hilleburg Akto for a couple of years now and have been quite comfortable in it. It is quite long (I'm 6'7" as well), has a great vestibule and is very light (~1.6kg packed, standard pegs). Downside is its not free standing, and Hilleberg claim that it's not a "true" alpine tent - it will stand in high winds (check out the youtube vid of the people pitching it in a storm), but won't survive being buried in snow.

As Damo pointed out too, the Minaret's asymetrical floor is great for taller people. Is a bit on the heavy side (when compaired to a BD Hilight), but they are bombproof.
martym
21/01/2013
4:25:37 PM
I used to own a Minaret which I loved (& lost :( )
My mate has the new model with the staggered height - he's 6.4' and he loves it. Pretty easy to set up - though it's a non-dome tunnel style; if you can't peg it down it's a pain in the arse

BoulderBaby
22/01/2013
11:20:08 AM
Bd Mesa

trog
22/01/2013
1:29:17 PM
We replaced our BD firstlight with a North face assault 2 when it died.

Have been very happy with it, and like the removable vestibule.

About the same size as the firstlight without the vestibule, but with the vestibule it means you can load up that end a bit tighter...

And you still get plenty of freezing (or condensing if its not cold enough) on the inside...

Zarb
22/01/2013
1:34:02 PM
I came across the Stephenson's Warmlite range of tents and they seem to be pretty funky. Has anyone had any experience with these?

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints