Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
OT: cost of servicing a subaru
2-Mar-2011
10:47:22 PM

nmonteith
3-Mar-2011
6:37:40 AM
'Franchise' service places like KMart Tyre Auto and Midas will give you a quote over the phone. They have a fixed price for a service items like this, and can just look it up on their computer straight away. Its good to get a bunch of quotes as they can vary considerably! It will be expensive - I imagine over $1000.
TonyB
3-Mar-2011
7:51:41 AM
The cheapest way is to do it yourself. I changed the timing chain on an old Volvo on the side of the road, when it broke while driving to work.

evanbb
3-Mar-2011
8:09:36 AM
On 3/03/2011 TonyB wrote:
>The cheapest way is to do it yourself. I changed the timing chain on an
>old Volvo on the side of the road, when it broke while driving to work.

It's a bit more involved on the Sube. Horizontally opposed 4 means there's pulleys and covers that need to be removed. Get them to check the front end bearing while they're there, as you can save yourself a lot of future hassle getting it done at the same time.

nmonteith
3-Mar-2011
8:10:43 AM
I'm no mechanic but my understanding is that changing a Subaru timing belt is a lot more complex than most cars. They have to remove a lot more stuff to get to it.

StuckNut
3-Mar-2011
9:16:53 AM
Try Tony @ URD

URD Automotive Pty Ltd
Fcty 3/ 6 Woodbine Crt Wantirna South 3152
(03) 9887 3833

A lot of guys in the WRX club use him - way cheaper than Subaru. Had him do my timing belt for a fraction of the cost quoted anywhere else.
MichaelOR
3-Mar-2011
12:47:11 PM
Sent you a PM Ti.
Michael

ambyeok
3-Mar-2011
1:51:14 PM
I'll do it for $200. But I dont have access to parts so your new timing belt will consist of an old sling I found up top of the bluffs.
Samuel
3-Mar-2011
2:11:20 PM
Yeah, Stay away from Kmart and Ultra tune etc. It's kind of like having dinner at macca's.You may be buying food, but you just know that something is missing.

Dealership are also a place to beware. Esp for servicing. You tend to pay for everything that hasn't been done. Although you could take advantage of fixed price quote to give you an idea.

nmonteith
3-Mar-2011
2:39:31 PM
On 3/03/2011 Samuel wrote:
>Although you could take advantage
>of fixed price quote to give you an idea.

That's what I was suggesting. You can get a quick quote over the phone so you know you aren't being robbed blind by an independent mechanic.

Sprocket
3-Mar-2011
4:01:20 PM
Depending on the type of suby you drive, eg a forester with an ej25 and you are only having the Tbelt done it should cost approx $80 - 105 for the belt (variance according to brand and place of purchase) and it takes 1.5 hours to fit and add .3 hrs if you have power steering and .3hrs if you have aircond. every place charges a different labour rate but $100 an hour is approx. More expensive in cities. Generally the service costs are about $180 for minor services 12500km, 37500km etcs and about $220 for intermdiate 25,000km 75,000km. the 50,000km and the 150,000km cost about $500 and $700 respectively and the timing belt services at 100,000km and 200,000km will cost about $900 -$1000. There are many small parts that may or may not need replacing eg front engine oil seals and belt pulleys and idlers that will change the price as needed. These are prices for the factory handbook sched on a late model forester and other models will be a bit different. Hope this helps.

Pat
3-Mar-2011
5:02:47 PM
What sort of Subaru? I have a 2 litre Forrester. Timing belt and usual service was $575. I live in Dandenongs and have the greatest mechanic. He is very trust-worthy. If its any help let me know.
MichaelOR
4-Mar-2011
10:13:53 AM
I have a '00 Model Outback and get it serviced at Makin & Luby (Bell St Heidelberg). They've serviced my two Subarus for over 600,000 kms for nearly 30 years. Highly recommended.
Michael

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints