Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 3 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 118
Author
The helmet question

ajfclark
16-Nov-2010
10:37:08 AM
Someone one told me "Knowledge is knowing a street is one way. Wisdom is looking both anyway".
widewetandslippery
16-Nov-2010
10:45:45 AM
On 16/11/2010 kieranl wrote:
>On 16/11/2010 widewetandslippery wrote:
>>E: Chase and then kick them in the head.
>No chance at the speed they were going

Fair call, I'll go the umbrella in the spokes option then.

I hate when cyclists have the hide to whinge my dog has bitten them when they are riding on the footpath.

ajfclark
16-Nov-2010
10:50:21 AM
Or complain that cars don't stop when they are riding across a pedestrian crossing... particularly when they were riding down the road to start with...

Miguel75
16-Nov-2010
10:58:25 AM
>If I step out of a gear shop in Little Bourke Street into the roadway,
>checking for traffic on the one way street and almost get run down by a
>cyclist going flat-chat down the hill in the wrong direction do I :
>
>A: Say "By jove, there's an enlightened individual exercising their personal
>freedom"?
>B: Abuse them loudly for almost killing me?
>C: Abuse them loudly for not wearing a helmet?
>D: Quickly jam my umbrella in their spokes?

E: Pull out the trusty gat, hold it sideways (gangsta killshot style) and cut loose. There's not a cyclist alive that can outrun a .45 caliber JHP!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Nov-2010
11:04:07 AM
>If I step out of a gear shop in Little Bourke Street into the roadway,
>checking for traffic on the one way street and almost get run down by a
>cyclist going flat-chat down the hill in the wrong direction do I :
>
>A: Say "By jove, there's an enlightened individual exercising their personal freedom"?
>B: Abuse them loudly for almost killing me?
>C: Abuse them loudly for not wearing a helmet?
>D: Quickly jam my umbrella in their spokes?
>

A. Say "By jove, there's an enlightened individual exercising their personal freedom"?
(I liked this one. Good one kieranl !!)

~> just like many posts on Chockstone?

>in the wrong direction
... and here was I thinking that climbers were likely anarchists!
Hehx 3
kieranl
16-Nov-2010
11:05:27 AM
On 16/11/2010 Miguel75 wrote:
>
>E: Pull out the trusty gat, hold it sideways (gangsta killshot style)
>and cut loose. There's not a cyclist alive that can outrun a .45 caliber
>JHP!
I think we must move in vastly different circles
Godless
16-Nov-2010
11:15:12 AM
On 16/11/2010 ajfclark wrote:
>Someone one told me "Knowledge is knowing a street is one way. Wisdom
>is looking both anyway".

I know that as "Knowledge is having Christie Turlington's phone number. Experience is having Christie Turlington."

Miguel75
16-Nov-2010
11:17:08 AM
>I think we must move in vastly different circles

Just reminiscing about my time in the US... and the fun you could have!
kieranl
16-Nov-2010
12:35:34 PM
>Someone one told me "Knowledge is knowing a street is one way. Wisdom
>is looking both anyway".
Wisdom is also not making unwarranted assumptions :
"... checking for traffic on the one way street " is not saying that I only checked in one direction.
widewetandslippery
16-Nov-2010
12:40:27 PM
Wouldn't the world be a better place if you could just run out and buy a gun and ammo and cyclists and helmet wearers had to get a license.

Miguel75
16-Nov-2010
1:43:48 PM
Amen WWS! If I could buy my groceries, hardware needs, clothes, childrens toys, guns and ammo all under the one roof, a la Fred Myers (a US "grocery" store) I'd be a happier sausage!

I also agree with licensing cyclists, helmeted ones, pets, minorities, majorities, greenies, pet owners, pet haters, voters, non-voters, capitalists, communists, heathens, athiests, relegious zealots, gnostics and everyone who disagrees with me... and chockstone users! and communists again just in case...
TonyB
16-Nov-2010
1:48:02 PM
I just came across this site that ranks climbing as being as dangerous as big wave surfing; street luge; bull riding
http://www.woweffect.be/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sportsDangerous.jpg

Hard to imagine a cowboy giving up his hat for a helmet ... maybe many climbers are cowboys?
widewetandslippery
16-Nov-2010
1:50:21 PM
Finally a person with a reasonable political outlook. Its ridiculous you need a license to shoot minorities.

ajfclark
16-Nov-2010
1:54:12 PM
On 16/11/2010 TonyB wrote:
>http://www.woweffect.be/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sportsDangerous.jpg

Odd that it didn't mention rock fishing. That's a sport that seems to crop up all the time in dangerous sport lists...

Miguel75
16-Nov-2010
2:10:56 PM
We do live in a topsy turvy world.... I was thinking of starting my own militia/book/rock fishing club if anyone's interested. We could all get matching helmets, or letterman jackets, and have lots of fun fishing, reading and malitiaising.
Olbert
16-Nov-2010
2:28:45 PM
>On 16/11/2010 TonyB wrote:
>>http://www.woweffect.be/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sportsDangerous.jpg
What is this list based on? What statistics do they use? Is mountaineering differentiated from climbing? What measure do they use for 'danger'? What is the definition of 'danger'?

It doesnt differentiate between sport climbing, indoor climbing, bouldering, trad climbing, crazy death route climbing, multipitch climbing, aid climbing, solo climbing and free solo climbing. It doesnt differentiate between crags or areas.

Since all these questions are unable to be answered (unless you work in the insurance industry) this figure doesnt really mean anything. We all know rock climbing is more dangerous than say a walk in the park.

Also your argument seems to be that rock climbing is as dangerous as two sports where wearing a helmet is not the norm but head injury is a major cause of death.

bw
16-Nov-2010
4:00:05 PM
On 16/11/2010 Olbert wrote:

>Since all these questions are unable to be answered (unless you work in
>the insurance industry) this figure doesnt really mean anything. We all
>know rock climbing is more dangerous than say a walk in the park.
>

Which park? At night? Day? Would you appear vulnerable to a mugger/rapist? Your comparison is invalid without answers to these (&many more) questions?! ;)
kieranl
16-Nov-2010
4:12:57 PM
Let's use Fawkner Park (Melb) at midnight on a full moon as the standard.

Chuck Norris
16-Nov-2010
5:06:16 PM
FYI Melb cyclists

MELBOURNE, Nov 16 AAP - Anyone who lives in Melbourne knows thatthe sport of cycling is booming, but it can be dangerous and policewill target cyclists in black spot areas from Tuesday.It has been a bad year on Victoria's roads and so far this yearseven cyclists have been killed, three more than this time lastyear.Acting Senior Sergeant Robert Zussa said the three-day OperationNora would aim to ensure cyclists and drivers were riding anddriving safely around Melbourne's CBD."Police will not only target offences committed by cyclists butalso crack down on drivers compromising their safety," he said.Police may fine drivers and cyclists disobeying traffic signsand lights, failing to wear helmets, motorcyclists using bicyclelanes and vehicles stopping or parking illegally

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Nov-2010
5:36:18 PM
stugang wrote a heads up...

Hmm.
Interesting that the Vic fatality stats this year list motorcyclists ahead of cyclists.
Surely this upcoming exercise is not simply a revenue raising grab from cyclists+ in the metro area?

Hehx ???

Page 3 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 118
There are 118 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints