Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 118
Author
The helmet question
rightarmbad
15-Nov-2010
12:16:19 PM
Helmet wearing is a big turn off for women, they don't want to get their hair messed up just to go 5kmh to the shops.

dave h.
15-Nov-2010
2:57:13 PM
(Re Wendy's videos of falls)

I think in 22 the rope is behind his leg/ankle... (@ about 32s). But it's hard to tell. Agree with you about #6.

Was the slab-fall guy running down the slab until gravity made his torso accelerate to the point where his feet couldn't keep up?

ajfclark
15-Nov-2010
3:04:34 PM
He looks airborne for a while to me (or his right toe is just touching the wall at least) then his feet hit and over he goes...

He seems to have such nice friends too...
Wendy
15-Nov-2010
3:29:49 PM
On 15/11/2010 dave h. wrote:
>(Re Wendy's videos of falls)
>
>I think in 22
>the rope is behind his leg/ankle... (@ about 32s). But it's hard to tell.
>Agree with you about #6.
>
>Was the slab-fall
>guy running down the slab until gravity made his torso accelerate to
>the point where his feet couldn't keep up?

Realise on going back to them that I'd gotten the vids muddled up.

kTQhAYR1j40 - this guys on there twice and I can see how he ended up upside down, he does seem to have a leg behind the rope, but I reckon the bandoleer added to it by making him top heavy! Plus it looks like it tried to garrot him. He's also a lesson in not getting out of your depth and dogging on crap gear.

V5Sb8ZMNx1k and fEXoWCObLms were the ones that looked like they should have been fine - maybe fEXoWCObLms was a mixture of being a top heavy build and wearing his harness low, plus he launches himself off. Overall, they look like they had no idea how to prepare for or handle the fall and did weird shît.

I think the slab guy actually had some air til he hit the slab (he needed ankle helmets too) which seems to have flipped him. Probably not much he could have done to have had a safe fall there, except to have better judgement of his routes beforehand.

Whilst these vids do look like a case for wearing helmets, I think these guys largely got themselves into those situations - wearing a helmet doesn't protect you against inexperience, lack of knowledge, poor judgement, stupid friends.
crm114
15-Nov-2010
3:49:49 PM
Re: cars being presumed to be at fault

I ride a bike every day and have done so for 15 years or more. Though there are some very bad drivers, I don't agree with this. Before bikes are presumed to be in the right, cyclists need to start behaving like responsible road users. Moron cyclist blatantly running red lights on busy city streets etc are such a bad look for the rest of us. I cannot believe more cyclists are not killed doing this. That does not mean car drivers are justified in ignoring cyclists but it certainly gives them an excuse to think the worst.

Re: Helmets

I will add my 20c though I reckon no one is going to agree... I never used to own a helmet but, like a few others, after having a kid I do now.

TBH, I never thought that hard about it before having a kid but I may well have been able to have been convinced to wear one. To those people who talk about not wearing helmets and controlling the risk and making a decision etc, the question begs - "how can you control for the stuff you did not expect to happen..?". Even putting aside obvious stuff which may be possible to generally make a solid call on based on local knoweldge (eg loose rock), it's pretty easy to muff up in a way that you would never plan to. Catching feet, hooking rope or getting seriously dropped fall into the stuff it is hard to plan for.

Still, it is a personal thing. I did not wear a helmet for the first 6 years or more of climbing but now always do. This is even though, in those first years, I had near missed including with rocks being pulled off mid-route (at Frog's) and crashing around me and my friend getting concusion fromt he same lumps. Now, wearing a helmet seems like self-evidently logical. Go figure.

I am not about to start telling friends or strangers to wear one.

rodw
15-Nov-2010
3:50:23 PM
On 15/11/2010 Wendy wrote:
> doesn't
>protect you against inexperience, lack of knowledge, poor judgement, stupid
>friends.

Like this? this one covers all those points wendy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybyT6MZtwE&feature=fvw

ajfclark
15-Nov-2010
4:13:23 PM
I'm not sure I want to watch that one... Just the angle of the rope at the start is making me nervous....

macciza
15-Nov-2010
4:34:50 PM
"The people who choose not to wear helmets are the ones more likely to get hurt"
This is patently ridiculous logic, so people who choose to wear helmets are less likely???
What if you don't do it by choice ? You just accidently forget to put it on??
I would have to say that I have seen more helmet wearing people doing scary dodgy dangerous stupid shit then people not wearing helmets. And often without any idea of rescue equipment , techniques etc, but apparently you don't need that shite because no-one needs rescuing spurt climbing with a helmet, and their is always 000 . . .
Wendy
15-Nov-2010
4:37:37 PM
On 15/11/2010 rodw wrote:

>Like this? this one covers all those points wendy....
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybyT6MZtwE&feature=fvw

Wow, and they even put their names to it ... "belayer and route planner - Rob G" I didn't see a lot of evidence of "planning" that went into it, but, if you ever get a route suggestion from a Rob G, run away! In the meanwhile, why isn't there a call to chop down all trees within a certain radius of the cliff to protect idiots from themselves?

dalai
15-Nov-2010
5:30:00 PM
On 15/11/2010 crm114 wrote:
>Re: cars being presumed to be at fault
>
>I ride a bike every day and have done so for 15 years or more. Though
>there are some very bad drivers, I don't agree with this. Before bikes
>are presumed to be in the right, cyclists need to start behaving like responsible
>road users. Moron cyclist blatantly running red lights on busy city streets
>etc are such a bad look for the rest of us. I cannot believe more cyclists
>are not killed doing this. That does not mean car drivers are justified
>in ignoring cyclists but it certainly gives them an excuse to think the
>worst.

Red light runners also annoy me. But a certain percentage of (insert any type of road user including pedestrians) break the road rules - run red lights done just as often in cars as on bikes with the end consequence far higher if a car barrels through a red compared to a cyclist...
patto
15-Nov-2010
5:46:49 PM
I don't see the problem of a pedestrian or a cyclist going against a red light in an empty road.

The proliferation of traffic lights were made by the motor car and are much more suitable for cars than pedestrians and cyclists.

JamesMc
15-Nov-2010
6:51:52 PM
On 14/11/2010 rightarmbad wrote:
>I was left sitting on the side of the road, shirtless, my entire back
>devoid of it's top layer of skin and covered in blood.

So the obvious conclusion is you should wear leathers when cycling.

JamesMc

PS I read in the newspaper today that "If you can't say something nice, say it online".
martym
15-Nov-2010
7:44:02 PM
On 15/11/2010 crm114 wrote:
>Moron cyclist blatantly running red lights on busy city streets
>etc are such a bad look for the rest of us.
That sounds like you don't see a problem with running red lights when there's no oncoming traffic? You always guage the risk & decide whether it's worth it to come to a complete stop. Cycling is SO different to driving - oh if only Australia would catch up to Europe on this (although cycling is so different to walking your dog aswell, which they haven't quite figured out either!)
martym
15-Nov-2010
7:46:33 PM
When I was actively going on Uni Club trips all of the leaders would try to wear helmets almost from car to car - often to the point where the true boyscouts wouldln't notice until getting into the car!
It was also fun to watch as people would go to the pub with a chalkbag on...
Slings usually stay on until getting home, but that's more cause everyone feels like Rambo wearing them.
simey
15-Nov-2010
8:18:06 PM
On 15/11/2010 Wendy wrote:
>kTQhAYR1j40 - this guys on there twice and I can see how he ended up upside
>down, he does seem to have a leg behind the rope, but I reckon the bandoleer
>added to it by making him top heavy!

The bandolier didn't make an ounce of difference to how he fell. If anything the bandolier would have slowed his momentum as he tipped backwards because he had it hanging in front of him.
Wendy
16-Nov-2010
7:32:18 AM
Now Simey, any reasonable person would not wear a bandolier because of the obvious risk of strangling themselves on it when they tipped upside down. In fact, I can't believe anyone would actually wear one, it's a no brainer how dangerous it it. It's an irresponsible risk to take and unfair on all the other climbers at the crag. And what if it had then fallen off him, and squashed his belayer's dog? In outer mongolia, they've actually legislated against the use of bandoliers after the loss of several prize cows to falling bandoliers. Only the other day, there were reports of strained necks, twisted backs and an unfortunate donging of a camalot in the balls attributed to bandoliers. It's time we followed the example of wiser nations in abandonning the practice before the abundunce of bandolier related injuries makes them the new gripe of Horsham hospital.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Nov-2010
9:57:33 AM
... or the subject of flame wars / endless debate on chocky too, for that matter!
kieranl
16-Nov-2010
10:33:35 AM
If I step out of a gear shop in Little Bourke Street into the roadway, checking for traffic on the one way street and almost get run down by a cyclist going flat-chat down the hill in the wrong direction do I :

A: Say "By jove, there's an enlightened individual exercising their personal freedom"?
B: Abuse them loudly for almost killing me?
C: Abuse them loudly for not wearing a helmet?
D: Quickly jam my umbrella in their spokes?
widewetandslippery
16-Nov-2010
10:35:11 AM
E: Chase and then kick them in the head.
kieranl
16-Nov-2010
10:36:11 AM
On 16/11/2010 widewetandslippery wrote:
>E: Chase and then kick them in the head.
No chance at the speed they were going

Page 2 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 118
There are 118 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints