Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 30
Author
Bouldering Mats

mousey
10-May-2004
6:54:03 PM
On 5/11/2003 dodgy wrote:
>"I have a dream" (thanks MLK)
>I reckon I can make mats for around the $120-150 mark that will work,
>and be lighter than anything else. Watch this space...

ive been thinking along these same lines for a while now, but not as a retail exploit...i have some designs ive been working on for my own mat (the prototypes then end up under the woody).
im at the stage where i can make the actual mat for about $60-70 (for something i could fall about 6m onto-i havent tested it to any higher yet), and im just finguring out the best way to make the cover. the ideal cover (400d cordura + velour like th tools of the adventure mat) the material is min. $35/40 pr metre, so for each mat thats like the cost of a retail mat in itself. any covering ideas/contacts for cheapies?
the plan is to , once ive developed a product im happy with, just make them on demand (not a business just for people who ask me) for cost price + shipping. im not a big fan of charging for labour.

Clancy
10-May-2004
8:29:35 PM
just back from a fortnight at araps and the new md's bouldering pad copped a hammering and came out of it looking pretty good. took a few falls in the 3.5 to 4m range without bottoming it, certainly saved my ankles. it certainly does the job though the harness is a bit basic for long walks to be completly comfortable and the buckles for the straps occassionally undo themselves, more of an annoyance than a major issue...

it makes a really good lounge around camp, though i have heard you're not supposed to sit on a pad, is it because you can compact the foam? i would think that falling on it would do more damage if this is the case.

clancy

trent
11-May-2004
9:20:40 AM
ricky richards is a wholesaler in sydney who sells to the public. 1000D cordura in any colour is about $23/m. look them up in the phone book. the mats i make end up costing $100 but they are reasonably big - 1000x1600mm. fold in half, can be separated and rejoined to form a 800x2000mm sleeping mat. consist of 100mm thick medium density foam covered with 10mm of closed cell foam.

mousey
11-May-2004
11:13:56 AM
cheers, any chance at getting his number?
i use 75-85mm of open cell, 5mm of highdensity (like those cheap camping mats), then 15-20mm of closed cell on top.
do you have mesh air vents on the side? i didnt start out using them, but i found that by letting the air escape on impact it puts less stress on the seams

trent
11-May-2004
1:01:34 PM
yeah the phone number is WHITEPAGES under R for ricky richards.

cheap camping mats are closed cell foam. i used zips for the venting.

rocknrich
11-May-2004
1:40:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about making my own mat also but it seemed it would still end up being expensive. Seems you folks have figured it out though, I'd be interested your designs, etc.

Hardware
11-May-2004
5:44:18 PM
You summed it up Tel, the stunt mat rocks. No pun intended.

Light, versatile and stays pretty clean too. This gives me more time to polish my rack!!
Jevon.

mousey
11-May-2004
10:41:53 PM

>cheap camping mats are closed cell foam.

the camping mats are a lot more squishy than the type of closed cell normally used in bouldermates- if you unzip a stunt mat etc. and have a look its the stuff that kinda looks like styryfoam...i started used soley old camping mats, then went to soley the 'proper' stuff, but i think putting just the thickness of a camping mat between the two main layers helps to stop the ground poking through on those bigger falls without making the mat any 'harder' to fall onto

Tel
11-May-2004
10:59:00 PM
MM,
I think it is a polyurethane in the stunt mats. The reason it is used is that it is lightweight and has very little memory ie landing won't leave marks.
there are other good closed cell foams but they are slightly heavier, I will find out the name for you.
tel

mousey
12-May-2004
6:55:52 AM
thanks mate

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 30
There are 30 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints