Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 85
Author
Dave MacLeod lowering accident

ajfclark
1-Oct-2012
10:54:01 AM

Lowered off the end of the rope... Whoops: http://davemacleod.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/end-of-line-for-short-while.html
Wendy
1-Oct-2012
12:51:11 PM
A whole blog post on getting lowered off the end of the rope and no reflection on htf it happened? Just "the route must have been a little long, the rope i borrowed must have been a little short and neither of us noticed it slip through the device"? Meh. Not even an acknowledgement of "we were a pair of unthinking idiots" - who doesn't keep an eye on the pile of rope when you are lowering someone down a route that has even the remotest chance of being long enough to run out of rope? Or check the length of your rope?
Hugh
1-Oct-2012
1:12:15 PM
Embarrassment perhaps??
egosan
1-Oct-2012
2:40:03 PM
My God! His head is huge!
patto
1-Oct-2012
3:24:05 PM
On 1/10/2012 egosan wrote:
>My God! His head is huge!
>

I had the same thought!! I knew something looked wrong.

(though i think it is more the case of a small body)

shortman
1-Oct-2012
3:51:01 PM
I love the pants up to his belly button too. Accentuates the head largeness.

Climboholic
2-Oct-2012
6:12:00 PM
"Wearing no shirt makes you boulder harder, even with crutches!"

Miguel75
2-Oct-2012
6:17:03 PM
Big head? small body? I reckon they're relative though if you ask me, he has insanely small nipples, that are too far apart:)
Hugh
2-Oct-2012
6:23:36 PM
They must be the sign of a good climber then...
Winston Smith
3-Oct-2012
10:18:54 AM
Wow what a sad little bunch critics. I'm glad that you're all as accomplished as Dave. Criticising the man's pants and head size? More quality Chockstone input.

shortman
3-Oct-2012
10:41:20 AM
On 3/10/2012 Winston Smith wrote:
>Wow what a sad little bunch critics. I'm glad that you're all as accomplished
>as Dave. Criticising the man's pants and head size? More quality Chockstone
>input.

I think it more along the lines of jest as opposed to criticism.

Think harder Winston Smith. Try it, seriously.

Would this be the sort of quality input you would expect? -

On 25/07/2012 Winston Smith wrote:
>Vertical Life makes Rock look dumb and redundant.

The good Dr
3-Oct-2012
10:44:52 AM
No one was denigrating his amazing climbing credentials Winston. An oversized noggin and the 'Harry High Pants' look, well ...

Still, damaging yourself in the way he did was actually quite stupid for someone as accomplished as him and the lack of critical review of the incident in his blog is illuminating.

Snacks
4-Oct-2012
7:01:32 PM
Yeah, I think his overall attitude in the blog post is thinking positively about how to move on with his injury rather than dwell on it... and I'm sure he's throbbingly aware of how silly he was. Top bloke, top climber.
Wendy
4-Oct-2012
7:55:49 PM
On 4/10/2012 Dawesy85 wrote:
>Yeah, I think his overall attitude in the blog post is thinking positively
>about how to move on with his injury rather than dwell on it... and I'm
>sure he's throbbingly aware of how silly he was. Top bloke, top climber.

I dunno, I'm tempted to repeat Damo's "enough of this cancer is a gift bullshit!" Really ... "it was almost fingerboard season, and now I can get into my fingerstrength training" ....

I think reflection on how accidents happen is kinda important. And when you are a well known, influential climber who promotes his coaching and advice, it's even more important when you post about having a stupid accident, that you use it to reflect on what happened and encourage other people to do stuff to prevent it happening to them. Otherwise people might just think it's normal, that everybody has stupid accidents, even very experienced and capable climbers, and that's ok. Actually, stupid accidents aren't ok. they are people getting f---ed up for dumb, avoidable reasons and talking about them might just help other people avoid them, rather then pretending they are normal. I think he's being a numpty about it in that blog.

Climboholic
4-Oct-2012
8:39:29 PM
I started out thinking you were being a bit harsh on the guy, but you do make a good point about not just accepting human error. The simple process of both climbers tying in (as should be taught to beginners) would eliminate this possibility. Or if you're a sport climber who doesn't climb multipitch, at least leave the rope tied to the rope bag.

I haven't read the blog, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he was stupid. Complacent maybe, but he didn't make a conscious decision to use a short rope. If he did it again, then that would be stupid!

Maybe Dave's pride is a bit bruised and he's passing on the lessons he learnt under the alias of Taylor152???

On 3/10/2012 Taylor152 wrote:
>Here are some tips which should be keep in mind when you like to climbing
>mountains.
>
>Check Knots,
>Pay Attention
>Check Harnesses,
>Wear a Helmet,
>Pay Attention
>
Damien Gildea
4-Oct-2012
8:50:35 PM
The belayer should have noticed the end of the rope was close. With Dave up the route unaware the rope was short, the belayer f%#ked up. The belayer is probably one of his mates. His mate probably feels terrible that he dropped his friend and injured him. Dave is probably not banging on about his mate's mistake so as to not make his mate feel any worse than he already does.

I'd rather climbers work things out for themselves rather than rely on yet another blog sermon.

comablur
5-Oct-2012
4:43:08 AM
On 2/10/2012 Miguel75 wrote:
>Big head? small body? I reckon they're relative though if you ask me, he
>has insanely small nipples, that are too far apart:)

I agree Migy, if you stare at his nipples long enough they almost come alive, I swear one of them just wicked at me......

ambyeok
5-Oct-2012
4:26:54 PM
The belay didnt notice the end of the rope coming close cause he was too distracted by Dave's nipples. Cleary Daves fault anyway you look at it.

Besides, dont blame the belayer. Climber f%#ked up, shoulda taken precautions for his own safety. He's the redudant system for his partners brain.

Miguel75
5-Oct-2012
5:28:11 PM
^^^ Welcome back stranger. Long time no read;) ^^^
One Day Hero
5-Oct-2012
5:39:10 PM
On 3/10/2012 ZZZZZZZZZZZ wrote:
>Wow what a sad little bunch critics. I'm glad that you're all as accomplished
>as Dave. Criticising the man's pants and head size?

What are you talking about? I'm even more impressed with McCloud's climbing now, knowing that he tows that huge melon up all his ascents!

By the way, Climbaholic wins some sort of prize for being the only person so far to correctly identify that the cause of the acco was failure to tie a knot in the end of the rope. Watching the pile of rope, Wendy?..........wtf? I'm trying to remember how many experienced and good climbers I know who would've avoided serious injury by putting a knot in the rope. It's either 4 or 5 (including 2 accidents involving spinal fractures)

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 85
There are 85 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints