Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 98
Author
Slap lesions and surgeons and bollocks
Wendy
11-May-2012
4:16:35 PM
Ok, so i've learnt that ultrasonographers in Horsham leave a little to be desired. i don't have long head of the biceps tendonsis. I have a bloody great big, no, making that, fûcking massive, tear in the labrum. From 11 oclock to 5 oclock. Fluid impinging on the nerve leading to muscle wastage in the rotator cuff. Basically, i need surgery and I need it yesterday. So i tried John Salmon, and he won't take people without private health insurance. What's wrong with my cold hard cash, i don't quite understand, but anyway. Anyway, so I need a good shoulder surgeon who doesn't have some strange bias against people paying for themselves.

I have an appt with Richard Dallalana, purely because he'll see me, not because I know anything about him. Does anyone else have any idea about him?

simone
11-May-2012
4:21:04 PM
I told you not to crimp on those RP placements if you weren't going to put gear there!
The damage was probably done after the ultrasound when you ignored the symptoms and kept climbing.
One Day Hero
11-May-2012
4:23:54 PM
Ah, bummer mate, I hope you don't have too much drama getting it sorted out. Should be a pretty productive winter for study and home reno's, I imagine :)
Wendy
11-May-2012
4:31:07 PM
On 11/05/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Ah, bummer mate, I hope you don't have too much drama getting it sorted
>out. Should be a pretty productive winter for study and home reno's, I
>imagine :)

what, with my right arm stuck in a sling? I'll struggle even to wipe my bum with my left hand!
simone
11-May-2012
4:35:55 PM
On 11/05/2012 Wendy wrote:
>On 11/05/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>>Ah, bummer mate, I hope you don't have too much drama getting it sorted
>>out. Should be a pretty productive winter for study and home reno's,
>I
>>imagine :)
>
>what, with my right arm stuck in a sling? I'll struggle even to wipe
>my bum with my left hand!

In physio terminology I believe it is called working the antagonistic muscles.
One Day Hero
11-May-2012
4:49:24 PM
On 11/05/2012 Wendy wrote:
>
>what, with my right arm stuck in a sling? I'll struggle even to wipe
>my bum with my left hand!

Clearly a sub optimal situation, but after a month I'm sure you'll be painting like a champ left handed (and smashing the arse-wiping too). How long does the sling phase last?

Hang in there, lots of climbers have come back strong after that surgery

wallwombat
11-May-2012
5:06:04 PM
I thought everyone wiped their bum with their left hand.

Crickey!
Olbert
11-May-2012
5:10:49 PM
On 11/05/2012 wallwombat wrote:
>I thought everyone wiped their bum with their left hand.
>
>Crickey!

Why would you wipe with your left unless you are left handed?

ajfclark
11-May-2012
5:12:30 PM
On 11/05/2012 Olbert wrote:
>Why would you wipe with your left unless you are left handed?

Because you eat with your right hand...

Nayda
11-May-2012
5:31:11 PM
maaate, sucks to be you hey. Sounds like a labral reconstruction yea? If u haven't already had the rehab run down, you'll want to get in the pool for some hydrotherapy asap after you're stitched up & get that arm moving - at least 3 times a week. Rehab from labral reconstructions tend to give u curry like Mumbai & might take u 4-6 months before u can lift ur arm above shoulder height, although yours is likely a little more optimistic as it's prob not a complete labral reattachment by the sounds? The more u get on it early the more range of movement you're gonna have when it's knitted up tight in 12 months. Mine's actually stronger than the other shoulder now, although only about 90% range of motion above shoulder height. Still able to climb & surf without restriction. Make ur physio ur best friend.

ChuckNorris
11-May-2012
5:33:53 PM
Wendy, I've got the medical arm of the family network checking the guy out They also said if a Dr is refusing a self insured person they are a "muppet" as it is totally accepted.

They are pretty well connected so I'd trust their advice. If you are prepared for adelaide I can get you a list as long as your arm that could do it well and quickly. Cheers
Stu
Wendy
11-May-2012
9:56:10 PM
Hey Stuart, my family's still in Adelaide, so Adelaide options are totally feasible. Throw any options at me. I'm going to commiserate on a tropical island for 2 weeks so I won't be able to get anything organised before then anyway. Now my shoulder is officially routed, I'm going to be relaxing in the front of the kakak under my parasol whilst Douglas paddles me around. And maybe feeds me grapes. and maybe I'll have some revelation about what on earth i can do with my life without climbing for months.

Miguel75
11-May-2012
10:56:26 PM
Sorry to hear your woes Wendy. Look after yourself and wishing you a speedy recovery.
citationx
11-May-2012
11:03:41 PM
Jerome Goldberg if you wanna head to Sydney. I saw him first, then went to another guy at RPA (can't remember his name... he was on the RPA show apparently) for a second opinion, he asked whether I'd seen anyone else and when i said goldberg, he basically asked why i'd bothered asking a second opinion...

ChuckNorris
11-May-2012
11:15:01 PM
Sounds like a plan, however, you need to make him *peel* the grapes before he feeds you. Anyway I'll get you a list wihtin the week,

ChuckNorris
12-May-2012
12:36:12 PM
Wendy - a cut and paste from my brother in law (one of four anaethetists/surgeons rellies of mine from adelaide). Let me know if you want to follow up. Good luck

Hi, my surgeon (Nick Chabrel) hadn't heard of Dallalana but that doesn't really mean much (lots & lots of ortho guys....!!) Nick is a good surgeon and would be happy to treat that injury. He also suggested Dr's Richard Pope or Michael Sandow as other capable upper limb surgeons.

He also said no real problem if surgery delayed (shouldn't effect repair outcome). Advantage of early surgery is the operation can be less difficult and only one recovery. (instead of recover from injury and then recover from surgery....!). I can arrange a referral for you friend if needed.

DaCrux
12-May-2012
11:38:14 PM
On 12/05/2012 bomber pro wrote:
>He also suggested Dr's Richard Pope or Michael Sandow as other capable upper limb >surgeons.
more than capable :)

tmarsh
13-May-2012
12:07:43 PM
Wendy, you might want to give Simon Bell some consideration. He's done a few climbers, myself included. I wasn't privately insured and he took my $$ no problem. It was back in '97 I think so things might have changed, but he certainly did a good job on me.
Wendy
13-May-2012
12:17:40 PM
thanks for all that. I'm currently waiting for the ferry off hamilton island, so I'll look into it more when i get home.
singersmith
13-May-2012
5:00:32 PM
Hi Wendy,
Don't know what sort of costs you're looking at for this but you ought to consider a trip to Thailand and Bumrungrad hospital. The place is deluxe with top-notch service and care; evidenced in part by the Saudi billionaires all over the place. It was the first time I've ever left a hospital and thought, "I'd really like to go back there sometime". They also have an Australian referral office you can make inquires through.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailandhospital

Get well!

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 98
There are 98 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints