Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 73
Author
Climbing Injuries - Tell me what you have!
Paz
23-Mar-2011
8:48:38 PM
Damn have a cuppa tea and rellllaxxxx Musique.....

Climbing injuries - smokers cough from belaying too hard, enlarged right thigh from kicking way too many torpes in the Pines and a sore assshole from living in dirt, not showering enough and eating way too many munchies, thus visiting the loo way too many times...

Do you think if we upped the camping fee to $2.20 we could get some nicer toilet paper in Pines loo? Or maybe one of those asian bum washers?

shortman
23-Mar-2011
9:13:23 PM
On 23/03/2011 Musique wrote:
>If it affects your climbing - sure.

Well my past hobbies rendered me a little lame long before I'd climbed.

Have pulled my right achilies off the bone/(little loopy thing attaching it to the bone), ruptured my right ACL, torn my right ex.CL, and broken 3 toes on my right foot, resulting in chronic hip/groin pain and a pretty useless leg. Which became compounded after fracturing my coxic after a serious fall.

Have broken ribs, all 3 bones in my left arm, muliple hand fractures, including a complete spiral snap of a third metacarpal in right hand resulting in lack of strength and dexterity, and a switch to becoming partially left handed.

Torn 2 out of 3 main ligaments in right shoulder and have suffered half a dozen dislocations and long term instability.

And have had my lower jaw smashed to pieces and rebuilt on a table before it was re-inserted. I mention this because cutting through the jaw muscles ultimatetly contributed to neck and shoulder problems.

Because I will never climb with the body I once had, I cannot know how I been affected.
However, what I can testify too, is the bodies amazingly ability to adapt. And to use what it still has, to perform the task the mind demands of it. Many times climbing I am aware of my mind not only searching for the best way to ascend (ie. scanning the rock), but simultaneously searching for the best way for my body to do it (scanning my body). Effectively the two are actually the one thing, but injuries cause a division, and separate the two. This is the biggest hindrance my past injuries have in my climbing. My mind can't figure it out quick enough.

hipdos
23-Mar-2011
10:13:19 PM
My worst injury from climbing is a torn medial meniscus from drop-kneeing in the gym. Can't really drop knee on that side any more, or it does a nasty pop. Don't lock your foot in when you do a drop knee, it's quite easy to get this injury and it doesn't heal easily...

Otherwise not much except a strained psoas - that was a bit obscure and nasty to treat. The physio had to part my abdominal muscles to get at it.

The usual finger strains and occasional shoulder issues but nothing really serious. Pretty lucky overall I reckon.

salty crag
23-Mar-2011
10:54:01 PM
On 23/03/2011 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Heaps, but that comes with age and an adventurous life.
>I have learnt to live with the debilitation that goes with them...

Agree totally M9 but it doesn't stop me whinging and moaning/groaning. Pulley sheath's, elbow and shoulder pain seem to be par for the course but getting help from med pro's when you live in the country is nigh impossible. Panadol and anti inflams are all you need apparently. I accept injuries gained from contacting rock a tad hard ( I fall often) but I hate injuries incurred from training usually over use or sprain/strain. I usualy learn how to avoid the injury only after I have it which is a pain.

Nice to know in the future I can learn from Dr Julian, Dan McCleod and Dr Musique...
martym
24-Mar-2011
5:02:25 AM
On 23/03/2011 Musique wrote:
>By injuries, I mean diagnosed, or undiagnosed musculoskeletal problems,
>that affect your climbing. I am also interested in injuries caused by climbing.

I bang stuff all the time, very clumsy climber.
Two years ago I myteriously bumped my elbow, which didn't seem a problem. About 3 weeks later while climbing in the blueys, my elbow started twitching and aching, I was halfway up a multipitch and couldn't really do anything about it, so continued to climb. By midnight it was the size of a pumpkin.
Can't remember what it was diagnosed at, but it was a mytery to the doctor's as to what caused it. Something infected in the bone cartilage.
StuE
24-Mar-2011
8:30:08 AM
1/ Torn labrum resulting in surgery to repair. Now only have about 95% ROM in left shoulder but its plenty strong again.
2/ Bucket handle tear to Medial Meniscus again resulting in surgery. I had a repair rather than a removal which should spare me osteoarthritis to some extent. Knee is all good now.
3/ Bulging disc from jarring my back hitting a ledge during a big fall. Ok now but had months of Osteo to sort it out.
4/ Various finger injuries which come and go.

Lets face it - if you've not been injured, you're not trying hard enough!

phil_nev
24-Mar-2011
9:00:56 AM
Major ones have been...

- Torn Righ Hip Flexor
- Left side, torn ITB
- Ongoing back issues related to muscular imballance
- Tendonitis, Tendonosis in elobows
JDB
24-Mar-2011
9:12:01 AM
I can't match Neil's impressive 8 injuries(and counting....) but I forgot to mention my surgeries.

Hamstring tendon avulsion (attempting ridiculous heel-hook move in gym) - my back-side in now titanium reinforced.

Inguanal Hernia - my groin is now polypropylene lined.

I'm starting to feel like a Terminator (Arnie)

Ahhh the marvels of medical technologies
Wendy
24-Mar-2011
9:36:29 AM
I'm not sure what the use of this list is other than a depressing reminder of the consequences of climbing hard, trying hard and bouldering - which is not new news! And to reassure me that there are people worse off than I am. You can add another one to the long list of pulley injuries, elbow tendonitis/osis, broken ankles and shoulder/back muscle imbalance.

However, i do have a new one. Ross River Virus. Probably from the hoards of mozzies at Skyline Walls all summer. Now I have weird swollen joints everywhere. And to think only a few weeks ago, i was reassuring people there was no reason not to come here, just wear repellent and protective clothing. I should rephrase that to "wear more repellent and wear more clothes than I did".

Eduardo Slabofvic
24-Mar-2011
10:43:49 AM
Dislocated first joint right hand ring finger
Pulley tendons right hand ring finger
Fractured right wrist
Tendonitis both elbows
Dislocated right shoulder
Dislocated right sterno-clavicular
Cracked ribs
Plica Syndrome both knees
Broken heart
Bruised ego

Mike Bee
24-Mar-2011
11:04:48 AM
I've had the normal range of achy fingers, elbow and shoulders before, nothing regular enough to get it checked out though.

My big injury is a stuffed up left ankle from a grounder a couple of years ago. The talar-metatasal joint (if I remember correctly) is totally buggered. I managed to crack the talus, chip the metatasal, damage some ligaments in the area, I think most of that has healed up, but the the joint between the two bones is pretty stuffed. As best as they can figure, the cartlidge is all gone, and replaced with scar tissue, so I have very limited movement in my left ankle, and it really doesn't like me doing the off track hiking that I used to. In fact, and downhill walking with a pack hurts like buggery these days. I still do it though...I just deal with the day of limping the following day.

regdog55
24-Mar-2011
12:51:46 PM
elbow tendinitis both elbows. Something to do with ribs - my massage therapist who is no longer my massage therapist because she ran away from the circus - explained it a lot better than I can; pulling a muscle off the rib? See also the thread on osteo arthritis in fingers that I started a few weeks ago, which will start inhibiting my climbing any old tick of the clock.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24-Mar-2011
2:14:42 PM
On 24/03/2011 Wendy wrote:
>However, i do have a new one. Ross River Virus. Probably from the hoards
>of mozzies at Skyline Walls all summer. Now I have weird swollen joints
>everywhere. And to think only a few weeks ago, i was reassuring people
>there was no reason not to come here, just wear repellent and protective
>clothing. I should rephrase that to "wear more repellent and wear more
>clothes than I did".

Bugger.
I wish you well in your (likely protracted), recovery.
TonyB
25-Mar-2011
8:21:31 AM
On 23/03/2011 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Heaps, but that comes with age and an adventurous life.
>I have learnt to live with the debilitation that goes with them...
>☺

Me too. As Charles Lamb put it 200 years ago:
"Competence to age is supplementary youth; a sorry supplement indeed, but I fear the best that is to be had. We must ride, where we formerly walked: live better, and lie softer"

ntm
3-Apr-2011
9:39:10 AM
hey this is very intresting but guys doing hard stuff that you do may be good food would help cause can t demend your body to work hard without proper fuel.
hero
3-Apr-2011
11:41:50 AM
clearly good food doesn't help with spelling or typing - and what makes you assume all the people who have listed their injuries above have not had good food?

bel
3-Apr-2011
8:08:02 PM
broken finger

bilateral # scaphoid's

dislocated shoulder

serious hangovers (numerous)

arse pain from horrible toilet paper in the pines loos!!

sunburn from cooking myself on the watchtower faces

broken toe from soling in bare feet on a 40 degree day

i could keep winging!!

PDRM
5-Apr-2011
2:38:19 PM
On 24/03/2011 Wingello Panther wrote:
>On 24/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>>This is a depressing thread.
>>
>>One of my fingers hurts a bit from a crimpy grade 8 yesterday. Does
>that
>>count?
>
>No.
>
>Yur profile says you UR a boulderer.
>If I was U I'd get used to the idea of more significant injuries in the
>futre.

How prophetic was that!?

P

pmonks
5-Apr-2011
3:39:39 PM
On 5/04/2011 PDRM wrote:
>On 24/03/2011 Wingello Panther wrote:
>>On 24/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>>>This is a depressing thread.
>>>
>>>One of my fingers hurts a bit from a crimpy grade 8 yesterday. Does
>>that
>>>count?
>>
>>No.
>>
>>Yur profile says you UR a boulderer.
>>If I was U I'd get used to the idea of more significant injuries in the
>>futre.
>
>How prophetic was that!?

WP put the kiss of death on him! :-o

JMK
10-Apr-2011
8:34:00 PM
Heaps of injuries:
Smashed ankle with many screws and no flexibility from hitting a ledge
Torn ligaments on right wrist - operation on 21 April coming
3 broken ribs and torn cartilage between fromswing fall into corner
Torn cartilage in right knee from impact on fall
Chronic tendenosis in both elbows and shoulders
Various aches from compensating for injuries
Bad arthritis in fingers from too much crimping
Periodic cramping pain in hands after hard crack climbs
Probably others but can't remember them

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 73
There are 73 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints