ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120
Author
Accident at Arapiles: November 9th

Pat
9-Nov-2010
1:08:44 PM
Just heard of a three meter fall at Araps resulting in suspected head injuries. Any further info on this?

ajfclark
9-Nov-2010
1:32:11 PM
Could you change the thread title to include something distinctive like the date, area and so on?

Pat
9-Nov-2010
2:06:35 PM
Thanks for the prompt. Is that better?

Eduardo Slabofvic
9-Nov-2010
4:47:59 PM
A CLIMBER who fell five metres on Mount Arapiles has been rescued and airlifted to a Melbourne hospital.
Ambulance Victoria has confirmed the climber sustained head injuires in the fall but their condition is not fully known.
The Mail-Times understands the climber was unconscious for 15 minutes.
For the full story see tomorrow's Wimmera Mail-Times.

Zebedee
9-Nov-2010
6:24:13 PM
On 9/11/2010 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>A CLIMBER who fell five metres on Mount Arapiles has been rescued and airlifted
>to a Melbourne hospital.
>Ambulance Victoria has confirmed the climber sustained head injuires in
>the fall but their condition is not fully known.
>The Mail-Times understands the climber was unconscious for 15 minutes.
>
>For the full story see tomorrow's Wimmera Mail-Times.
Shilling for that august organ now Mr Vic?
Is this spam?
egosan
9-Nov-2010
6:24:57 PM
3 * 5 = 15

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/rockclimber-survives-15m-fall-at-mt-arapiles/story-e6frf7jo-1225950243455

Henward
11-Nov-2010
7:59:19 PM
The climber hit the ground on ropestretch from a height of approximately 15 metres after dislodging a block weighing around a third a tonne and ripping 1 piece of gear on the front of the Pharos.
He sustained head injuries in the fall and/or landing. He was unconscious for an indeterminate time between 1 minute and 15 minutes, nobody knows exactly how long. He was attended initially by climbers from the pines campground and then paramedics. He was taked in an ambulance to an appropriate helicopter pickup point (I don't know where) and taken to melbourne for treatment. Edit: Nevermind, apparently it was a plane, I wasn't there after he was taken away in the ambulance.
He is recovering well and all indications are that he will make a full recovery in a short period of time.

Edit: Just read the link, pretty inaccurate and misleading crap.
egosan
11-Nov-2010
8:34:28 PM
Thanks for the update.
You got name for this route missing 300kg of stone?
Henward
11-Nov-2010
10:13:59 PM
On 11/11/2010 egosan wrote:
>Thanks for the update.
>You got name for this route missing 300kg of stone?

Five Fingered Mary. First pitch.
kieranl
12-Nov-2010
10:27:46 AM
On 11/11/2010 Henward wrote:
>
>Edit: Just read the link, pretty inaccurate and misleading crap.
Just interested in what you found inaccurate or misleading in the news story? Not having been there I found it fairly consistent with your account.

Dane
12-Nov-2010
5:00:25 PM
The must wear a helmet attitude, the complete lack of knowledge of how we protect a route... that he was lucky to be alive... that it was even a 15m fall to ground when it's been suggested here that he was on rope stretch, that would make it equivalent to a much smaller fall...

It's not strictly inaccurate of misleading, they just didn't do any research
kieranl
12-Nov-2010
8:37:38 PM
OK, so it was just a rant.
The nuances that we climbers are interested in don't constitute news so there's no point getting fussed about it. The most we can hope for from journalists is that they get a couple of basics correct.
and helmets... Get used to it. The non-climbing public simply cannot understand why climbers would not wear helmets. So, that piece of information is always reported. If you don't want to see that bit of information on the news, make sure you are wearing a helmet when you get hauled off in a stretcher.
kieranl
12-Nov-2010
9:19:46 PM
No David, you've missed nothing. But suggesting that wearing helmets while climbing is a good idea is a good way to start a flame session. So, I'm just suggesting that people wear one if they're going to need rescueing.
Marssan
12-Nov-2010
9:43:52 PM
Or carry one clipped to your harness and put it on in the few seconds you have before passing out. Or if your brain is already outside your skull, have an agreement with your partner whereby they scoop up your brains, put them in the helmet, then fasten it on your head. Explain that Mr Coroner.
Arlee
12-Nov-2010
10:43:10 PM
I just can't seem to think of a situation where not wearing a helmet is a better idea than wearing one, from a risk management perspective. Interested to know if anyone else can.
olbert
13-Nov-2010
12:58:07 AM
Wearing a helmet is totally situation based. Sometimes the situation warrents a helmet, sometimes it doesnt. Do you really think every person that climbs at Centenial Glen/Nowra/Shipley Upper/(insert random sport crag here) is an idiot? No they have assessed the situation and decided that a helmet is not necessary.

There is a general (yes I mean GENERAL) divide between sport climbing and trad climbers.

Also trad only climbers who rarely go sport climbing will probably wear a helmet.
Sport only climbers who rarely go trad climbing probably wont wear a helmet.
Sometimes people will be seen wearing a helmet at Nowra
Sometimes people will not be seen wearing a helmet Arapiles

Dont start another helmet debate
martym
13-Nov-2010
6:31:30 AM
It's all about the photos!

Even with your shirt off flexing and cranking, no one looks sexy in a Stakhat!

I'm a hairy bastard, so keep my shirt on, thus never really consider my helmet spoiling my profile photos....

rodw
13-Nov-2010
8:21:12 AM
" they have assessed the situation and decided that a helmet is not necessary."...I always thought helmets are there for unforseen circumstances?...or do poeple actually look at a route and say "Hey today ill fuk up and get really pumped and while climbing accidently have the rope around my leg so when I fall Ill flip over and bash my head....hmm better put on a helmet today"???????

"Sport only climbers who rarely go trad climbing probably wont wear a helmet" - thats me, Ive got one ..so wear it.

Never wore one when I started, got a family and made the choice to wear it (wear one for snow skiing to now).

Each to there own though....my philosphy is " helmets might save ya life, not wearing a helmet definately wont."..plus if Im carrying it into the crag i may as well put it on...but then again Im more scared of my missus if I end up with a cracked skull in hospital and she finds out I wasnt wearing the helmet:)

Miguel75
13-Nov-2010
9:21:25 AM
I'm with Rod on this one. I'm more scared of my wife seeing pics of me with no helmet...

I figure I wear a helmet for just about everything, except breakfast, so it makes sense to sport the stack hat on the rock. After my recent stack, I've even given thought to rocking my helmet indoors too...
kieranl
13-Nov-2010
10:50:27 AM
Funny thing. I was in a bike shop recently and a couple of young boys , 12 or 13 years old, came in intheir BMX gear and started flicking through the BMX mags and catalogues, oohing and aahing over the latest stuff, just like a couple of young climbers. Never took their helmets off. Didn't even unbuckle them. The helmets were part of their image.

Page 1 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120
There are 120 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints