Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Rib cage vs Tent Peg results are in

..::- Chris -::..
15-Apr-2009
1:41:26 PM
Chris's TIP #4322 - Play fighting drunk with friends 'judo style' with big deeply burried tent pegs at your feet is a bad idea!

Any tips on a quick recovery from cracked / fractured ribs apart from rest and calcium ?

Doc reckons just rest and if it hurts don't do it... But everything hurts : (

psd
15-Apr-2009
2:13:41 PM
no tips - but bugger me that must have hurt ...

ajfclark
15-Apr-2009
2:20:58 PM
Doc eventually prescribed my dad valium for his cracked ribs. Just to stop him moving around so much. He doesn't cope well with not doing much. Didn't seem to mind when he just randomly went to the land of nod for most of the day though.
widewetandslippery
15-Apr-2009
2:26:57 PM
ajfclark is on the money. Go find a doctor who will prescribe codine. Drink 1/4 bottle of vodka with 120mg codine. Lay down on lounge. Become lounge. Repeat. No more sore ribs. I can testify this treatment works.

manacubus
15-Apr-2009
2:32:03 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about testing the suitability of using rib bones as tent peg replacements. I'm a bit disappointed.

..::- Chris -::..
15-Apr-2009
2:43:27 PM
On 15/04/2009 psd wrote:
>no tips - but bugger me that must have hurt ...

Yep you'd be on the money there. It was one of those square hollow big ass ones used to secure marquee tents, funny thing was after I did it i didn't notice until the grog started wearing off then i started getting really worried am i bleeding internally ? Is there a bone floating around in my gutt ? Will i ever climb again hmmm ok never got quite that worried but I'll say broken colar bone is slightly more painfull. I'm working my way through the bones to find the least most painfull bone to break. I've tested the colar bone 3 times and now the ribs and the colar bone wins hands down as most painfull. ; )

On 15/04/2009 widewetandslippery wrote:
>ajfclark is on the money. Go find a doctor who will prescribe codine. Drink
>1/4 bottle of vodka with 120mg codine. Lay down on lounge. Become lounge.
>Repeat. No more sore ribs. I can testify this treatment works.

I think it was the first half of those instructions that got me to where i am today - broken ; )

On 15/04/2009 manacubus wrote:
>I thought this thread was going to be about testing the suitability of
>using rib bones as tent peg replacements. I'm a bit disappointed.

No i did try that and i've found in my stress testing that the peg is mighter than the bone.

Cranky
15-Apr-2009
7:18:47 PM
On 15/04/2009 ..::- Chris -::.. wrote:
> I'm working my
>way through the bones to find the least most painfull bone to break. I've
>tested the colar bone 3 times and now the ribs and the colar bone wins
>hands down as most painfull. ; )

Have you used alcohol on the previous occasions?
And do you intend to use it for the future expirements?
Marssan
15-Apr-2009
7:34:55 PM
Treatment of rib fractures is all about analgesia and making sure respiratory function is
not compromised.

You should have enough analgesia to be able to take a deep breath and cough without
too much discomfort. If you need something stronger than panadeine forte to achieve
this your doctor should prescribe it for you.

If you have a friend who works in a hospital try to get an "incentive spirometry" device.

The big complication of broken ribs is that you don't take regular deep breaths (which
you unconsciously do normally). The lower portions of your lungs collapse and are
prone do develop pneumonia. Normally it's older people who get this but it can easily
happen to young healthy people. Keep breathing.

meinmuk
15-Apr-2009
8:18:35 PM
Incentive inspiratory devices are excellent in this circumstance, but for those not
wanting to pinch one from the overfunded hospital system, just make a bong. Suck just
hard enough to get bubbles going for 20-30 seconds. Repeat x 10 per waking hour until
you are better. This will do the trick.

In case you missed it, this bong performs best if there is no cone and no vegetable
matter. I am not aware of any evidence suggesting that getting stoned assists recovery
from chest injury in any way shape or form.
cheers, Andy

ajfclark
15-Apr-2009
8:22:09 PM
On 15/04/2009 meinmuk wrote:
>I am not aware of any evidence suggesting that getting stoned assists recovery from chest injury in any way shape or form.

I'm wincing just picturing someone with cracked ribs smoking cones and coughing... eating some biscuits and sitting on the couch watching a wall might help though.
stonetroll
15-Apr-2009
9:08:56 PM
On 15/04/2009 manacubus wrote:
>I thought this thread was going to be about testing the suitability of
>using rib bones as tent peg replacements. I'm a bit disappointed.

I once had to set anchors useing kangaroo bones driven into the ground by hitting them with a rock. On that occasion the leg bones worked best.
Four equalised kangaroo bones held well, pulling an '85 model Holden Shuttle up a 1in20 sloped cow paddock on a 3:1 and 5:1 haul system.

So anyway forsure rib bones could hold ya tent down . . . or up . . . what ever the correct term would be.

But as for any broken bone i'd recommend rubbing Comfrey ( also known as Knit-bone ) ointment into the sore spot.
You can usually get Comfrey from the chemist, otherwise a health food place might have it.

Zebedee
15-Apr-2009
11:15:42 PM
On 15/04/2009 Marssan wrote:
>Keep breathing.
This is bad advice from these servants of big Pharma. We in the funeral industry say
'Stop breathing it's good for the economy'

IdratherbeclimbingM9
18-Apr-2009
2:46:38 AM
On 15/04/2009 ..::- Chris -::.. wrote:
>Any tips on a quick recovery from cracked / fractured ribs apart from
>rest and calcium ?
>
Try not to aggravate the injury.
Some 'broken' ribs don't ever heal, but that depends on many factors including how and where they are broken.
The pain will eventually subside.
Best of luck with it.

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints