ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 150
Author
Nick Kaz memorial thread #2
puff
3-Jan-2009
10:22:35 AM
G'day,
Does anyone know the guy from the Bunny Bucket accident?
hotgemini
3-Jan-2009
11:03:16 AM
Paul, out of respect for those involved and their families, I'd encourage you and everyone else to refrain from public discussion until a more appropriate time.
hotgemini
3-Jan-2009
12:10:46 PM
Wow, just read your profile, another reporter, at least the other bloke had the courtesy to identify himself.

Disrespectful, just plain disrespectful.
J.C.
3-Jan-2009
12:35:07 PM
Details will be released when it is appropriate. Please respect that.
Winston Smith
3-Jan-2009
2:36:17 PM
Body of rock climber retrieved after fall in Blue Mountains

AAP
January 03, 2009 01:36pm

THE body of a rock climber has been retrieved nearly 24 hours after he plunged 100m to his death in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney.
Two police officers and a Polair helicopter worked to winch the man's body from its resting place about 11am (AEDT) today.

Emergency crews responded to reports of a fallen climber at Mount Wilson, near the Bells Line Of Road about 11.30am yesterday, police said.

A large search near a cliff face along Pierces Pass was launched involving police and ambulance officers on foot as well as Polair and an ambulance rescue helicopter.

Ambulance officers reached the man on yesterday and determined he had died from the fall.

The climber has yet to be formally identified but he is believed to be aged in his 20s and from Sydney.

A report will be prepared for the New South Wales Coroner.

A second climber was found during the search and treated for a minor arm injury, the NSW Ambulance Service said.

gordoste
3-Jan-2009
11:46:25 PM
i thought smh had some class, obviously not.
hotgemini
4-Jan-2009
10:59:41 AM
I just emailed a formal complaint to SMH, their reporter's behaviour fell short of reasonable public expectation in my opinion.

skink
4-Jan-2009
12:16:35 PM
On 4/01/2009 hotgemini wrote:
>I just emailed a formal complaint to SMH, their reporter's behaviour fell
>short of reasonable public expectation in my opinion.

Good move.

What email address did you send the complaint to - I'm sure there's a few readers of this forum (myself for instance) who would like to follow your lead.

Damn vultures.

gordoste
4-Jan-2009
1:08:14 PM
i saw the article in the sun-herald today by Paul Bibby (aka puff). Article seemed pretty fine. But i think that logging on and asking if anyone knew the climber, without saying that you're a reporter, is at best misleading and at worst unethical.
hotgemini
4-Jan-2009
3:59:10 PM
readerlink@mail.fairfax.com.au

and their code of ethics is http://www.smh.com.au/ethicscode/index.html

deadpoint
4-Jan-2009
4:42:41 PM
On 4/01/2009 hotgemini wrote:
>readerlink@mail.fairfax.com.au
>
>and their code of ethics is http://www.smh.com.au/ethicscode/index.html
>
>
FAIRNESS
Staff will use fair, honest and responsible means to obtain material. They will identify
themselves and the newspaper before obtaining interviews or images.

This may be the relevant item, I wonder why the SMH has been so restrictive in their
fairness criteria - only when obtaining interviews or images, seems like an update is
needed to include misrepresentation.

Sir Chossalot
4-Jan-2009
5:25:50 PM
Let me know if you want another name to add weight your complaint.

I don't see the behaviour of this journo as being at all ethical, and think it's important to make it clear that the climbing comunity as a whole feel the same way.

My heartfelt condolances to the family and friends.

BigMike
4-Jan-2009
5:40:55 PM
Rope failure may have caused fatal fall

Paul Bibby
January 4, 2009

THE death of a Sydney rock climber who fell from a popular Blue Mountains climbing
spot appeared to be the result of a problem with ropes, rescuers said yesterday.

The body of the 24-year-old, whose name has not been released, was retrieved
yesterday morning, nearly 24 hours after he plunged 100 metres to his death at Pierces
Pass, known among climbers as Bunny Bucket Buttress.

A local involved in the rescue, who asked not to be named, said the dead man and his
friend appeared to be experienced climbers.

"It looks like a roping accident - a rope gave way," the rescuer said.

"It looks like they knew what they were doing. This kind of thing can happen to anyone -
it happens up here every year."

Ambulance officers say the man died from the fall.

His climbing partner was found during the search and treated for a minor arm injury.

Police said yesterday they were still trying to contact relatives of the dead man.

Bunny Bucket Buttress, a sheer cliff near the Bells Line of Road, is a popular site
among the climbing community, with experienced climbers taking about four hours to
reach the top.

Climbers across the country expressed their condolences in online climbing forums
yesterday.

"It is a sad day when we lose one of our own, be they personal friends, family or mere
acquaintances," one climber said.

Another said: "Terrible news. Thoughts go out to family and friends, whoever they are."

Breezy
4-Jan-2009
7:01:53 PM
>............. scaling Bunny Bucket Buttress
>on Friday morning when a carrot bolt on the popular climb broke

Is this information correct ?

My condolences to the family and friends.

J.C.
4-Jan-2009
7:12:24 PM
That is not what I have heard. Is there confirmation that his family has now been contacted?
onsight
4-Jan-2009
7:59:42 PM
My sincerest condolences to Nicks family and friends. This is very sad indeed. I didn't know him well but he always struck me as being a fun loving and genuinely nice guy.

On 4/01/2009 Breezy wrote:
>>............. scaling Bunny Bucket Buttress
>>on Friday morning when a carrot bolt on the popular climb broke
>
>Is this information correct ?

No, it is not correct. He was NOT on Bunny Bucket Buttress when the accident occurred, nor was it a carrot bolt that failed. They were on a relatively recently bolted varient to the upper pitches of BBB. It had dyna-bolts with fixed hangers.

nmonteith
4-Jan-2009
8:29:56 PM
Terrible terrible news. Nick was a great guy, full of enthusiasm and passion for climbing. He's been a long time member of chockstone and he climbs regularly with many on this forum. I was really looking forward to spending more time with him this coming year...

Take care out there everyone. Take nothing for granted.

wallwombat
4-Jan-2009
8:32:49 PM
On 4/01/2009 onsight wrote:
>This is very sad indeed. I didn't know him well but he always struck me as being a fun loving
>and genuinely nice guy.

I only met Nick once but I couldn't agree more. He was a really nice guy.

R.I.P Nick .

Condolences to your family.

JJ
4-Jan-2009
9:42:15 PM
R.I.P Kracow

Gunna miss ya big guy, you were tops. Save me a spot up in Heaven on the good rock and we will catch up for a climb in the future.

Team Newcastle

JJ

HM33
4-Jan-2009
10:00:37 PM
Lost for words. It was a pleasure to climb with Nick. so sad.

Page 1 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 150
There are 150 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints