Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
News - After the accident at Arapiles in March
mike farrell
28-Aug-2017
3:44:04 PM
I’m the bloke that fell on Phoenix at Arapiles back on March 11th . Though I don’t remember any of it, I gather I was cruising to the finish of the 1st pitch at about 45m & I was perhaps as much as 5m above my gear. I somehow slipped/fell, hit a ledge about 10m below then rolled off turning upside down.

Obviously i was too run out & I did not pay enough attention & respect to the knowledge that low grade routes often have ledges & projections close below. Fortunately my gear held. Fortunate indeed too that I had an excellent climbing partner/ belayer ( John Sexton) who managed to climb up & bring me down.

The Prince Alfred Hospital Melbourne did a great repair/rebuild job on me as the injuries were quite extensive :- smashed pelvis, internal bleeding, fractured spine, concussion, brain bleed, collapsed lung.

The good news is that I’m alive n well with all my faculties & hope to climb again.

I would like to give my many thanks to all climbers, campers & medico’s that gave assistance that day & to all friends & family that visited me in hospital & at home giving me support during my 5 + month healing, particularly my partner Roza.

ajfclark
28-Aug-2017
4:02:20 PM
Good to hear you're on the mend.
kieranl
28-Aug-2017
8:06:57 PM
Great to hear. Things looked a bit grim that evening.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
2-Sep-2017
7:02:55 PM
Thanks for giving us feedback after your harrowing experience, and I'm glad that you've recovered to the extent that you have, as it sounds like it could easily have been a very different outcome.

Cross-link to initial thread is here...
http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=5&MessageID=13312&Replies=10&PagePos=0&Sort=#NewPost

Miguel75
2-Sep-2017
9:18:12 PM
Stoked you're on the mend and thanks for he update. Sorry to hear of your injuries though hope your recovery continues onwards and upwards from here:)
ademmert
5-Sep-2017
4:53:32 AM
Greta to hear

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints