Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Yucky draw-grabbing incident
mikllaw
6-Oct-2015
7:43:16 AM
Hmm, I've heard so many stories about the nastiness that draws can inflict but still jumped to clip a draw. The draw was off the ground, about 50 mm out of reach. I jumped up and clipped it nicely and then noticed my pants were wet..... with BLUD!

Even after 2 hours of compression (duct tape and toilet paper) it was bleeding heavily so I got 7 stitches in it (local GP, much faster than hospital). 9 days later it's ok and has been climbed on with some tape.

It was a smooth biner, but I hope i've learnt my lesson
Jayford4321
6-Oct-2015
8:14:12 AM
What kind of seasoned climber ar ya mikl? Everyone knows flappers are meant to be on ya finger tabs.

Wot orientation was the biner?
Will the injury stop U giving us a diagram?

an while we R at it, wot was the final outcome of the gap fence xing incident?
mikllaw
6-Oct-2015
10:39:51 AM
On 6/10/2015 gnaguts wrote:

>Wot orientation was the biner?
standard lower biner on a quickdraw , petzl Spirit

>Will the injury stop U giving us a diagram?

>an while we R at it, wot was the final outcome of the gap fence xing incident?
$100 fine each, after threatening gear confiscation and a partridge in a pear tree

Macciza
6-Oct-2015
1:00:01 PM
Umm, one word , Cowboy clip??
mikllaw
6-Oct-2015
1:04:17 PM
Cowboy clip didn't work as it was lying against the rock. Even a tiny stick and Bunny ears, or a boost from another climber, or climbing up there and clipping would have all worked better.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6-Oct-2015
2:05:22 PM
At least the latest photo confirms that the Dupuytren's surgery is still working, so it is probably the least of your worries?

Hmm, revisiting old threads...
~> and after searching for the above link and noticing another that you started (& since you are still out there doing the climbing thing), ... watch out for nut-tool impalement!
;-)

ajfclark
8-Oct-2015
7:24:14 PM
Anytime anyone mentions hurting themselves with a quickdraw I think of this image:

Full story
OliBangbala
7-Dec-2015
7:31:39 PM
AHHHHH!! No! How do you make that happen!?!

ajfclark
7-Dec-2015
8:46:58 PM
On the second page of the linked thread:
Have word the gear has been retrieved. The exchange is being negotiated.

Mike, you are welcome to take that after work hike but it should no longer be for booty spotting.

Paul, the fall was at the gear. Left hand reaching for finger jug above the gear, right hand being stoopid looking for something below the gear in the nothing crack. Both feet to the left, back/shoulder against the right. Feet failed, body went into the corner, draw pressed against a massive bicep, and then...meathook! Yes, at the end of the fall there was slack in the rope and both feet were in the air. All the weight was suspended on the f---er that broke on through the arm. I suck at climbing.

Once i realized my problem i shouted a few choice expletives and realized i had few options. Fortunate to have both arms still working I pulled up on the gear (bomber nut at the finger jug) and tried to pull the f---er out of the arm. I got it to move out about an inch to how it looks in the picture. Despite pulling, pushing, turning and wiggling the f---er it would not come out, it was hooked on something quite painful.

I thought about manning up and pulling it out, tearing through whatever was in the way. I am not tough like that. So I am still holding myself up on the gear and still have the rope through the f---er, the f---er still in my arm, no feet, full on panic mode, and the thought of falling or lowering back onto the f---er.

After some struggle I clipped into the nut with a short draw and clipped it to the harness. I thought from this restful position I could try again to get the f---er out of my arm. Such a poor choice. Pain is now intense, more intense, f---er still in and f---ing with me. I begin to laugh at the absurdity of the situation but come to terms with my desire to get down from there and seek professional f---er removal. I got the rope unclipped from the f---er, put it through another draw, unclipped and lowered.

During lowering Mike was wondering up the trail and offered to get help. I was pretty sure I didn't need rangers or rescue people laughing and the blood loss was somehow minimal. But the sensible side came through and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea in case i passed out on the way down.

I got off the rock with Jen's help, climbed down to the trail (minor downclimb from the start ledge), took off the climbing shoes and started hiking down. I asked Jen to pick up my shoes once she collects all the crap at the base. Jen, sorry for making you carry everything.

I make it down to the creek and meet the rangers near the Milton Boulder. They offered to help but there is not much that can be done at this point. Nobody was going to touch the f---er without some sweet tools and drugs. The rangers offered neither. They did tape the gate open for me as the pinching of a flap of skin hurt a bit. That helped somewhat.

So now Jen, my friend that gives a good belay, comes down the trail to the car and informs me she cannot drive stick. At the time it seemed more absurd than the f---er in the arm. I asked the rangers for a ride...no can do. I am in panic mode again. Then Mr. Mtn Proj himself came into my life. He was more than happy (once i proved i wasn't bleeding too much) to drive me to the hospital, and his friend drove my car with Jen. Finally, things are looking up.

I went to Avista in Louisville per the rangers suggestion, not sure why there but the Doc was nice and the ER was empty. I got quick service, Nick got a good picture, the drugs and tools were effective. The f---er was removed.

I think six or seven people got pictures. All were amazed at the freakish horror.

I have since seen an Orthopedic and was told something like 'The shit we can fix you didn't break and the shit you broke we cannot fix.' I think that was pretty good news. The doc asked when I wanted to climb again and I told him how my gear was still up there and that today (last Tuesday) would be perfect. He said let's talk next Monday when we remove the stitches.

So you ask if anything was damaged...umm, did you see that picture? I don't have a list, but muscles heal, skin heals, not sure about my pride. I may have severed a small nerve as I still have a numb patch on my forearm. But a full recovery is expected of range of motion and strength.

And now with word of the gear being retrieved I should be able to rest up for as long as it takes. Thanks all.

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints