HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Anyone ever felt a pop in their forearm?
leopotamus
30-Nov-2014
2:12:32 AM
Hi everyone,

so i was bouldering a week ago and i think i injured myself (of course).

It was a big session, and right at the end, i felt a 'pop' in my forearm. It didn't hurt, just a popping sensation, but i came off the climb immediately anyway and have been resting it.

There wasnt any pain, but my ring finger has felt weaker since and there is tenderness down my forearm. Anyone else had this before?
egosan
30-Nov-2014
6:46:09 AM
Yep, when I had just started out. Bouldering on plastic at the end of a hard session my forearm popped. There was tenderness in my forearm. I lost strength and had mild pain in my forearm when using an open grip on the last joint in my ring finger. Never had it diagnosed. Lasted about 6 months acutely. Today at least 5 years on, maybe 6, If I isolate my left ring finger open grip on the last joint it still aches a bit in my forearm. But only if I am using that finger in by itself, which, I never do. My grip strength is as far as I can tell unaffected.

Good luck.

BoulderBaby
30-Nov-2014
11:25:31 PM
Go see a physio, sounds like a high grade tear.

The good Dr
1-Dec-2014
7:24:20 AM
Definately have it assessed properly as BoulderBaby is probably correct. If it is a tear they should be able to pick it up on an ultrasound scan.

phil_nev
1-Dec-2014
9:02:36 AM
On 30/11/2014 leopotamus wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>so i was bouldering a week ago and i think i injured myself (of course).
>
>It was a big session, and right at the end, i felt a 'pop' in my forearm.
> It didn't hurt, just a popping sensation, but i came off the climb immediately
>anyway and have been resting it.
>
>There wasnt any pain, but my ring finger has felt weaker since and there
>is tenderness down my forearm. Anyone else had this before?

I had something similar 2 weeks ago. Tried holding a swing one handed, heard a noise. No real pain straight away but followed by pain in the palm and forearm.Same as you, tenderness in the ring finger.

I did a lot of stretching and icing for the next 2 weeks. Had a boulder on Friday and felt ok (though a little tight on the forearm, zero finger pain). Then climbed yesterday on it and crimped pretty hard, throwing to edges and felt no ill effects at all.

A friend mentioned that the noise could be a 'sheath' going or even a tendon 'flicking'. I taped by finger well and i could still feel some tightness in the forearm, but it wasn't significant.

I would just play it by ear. If it doesn't hurt, try taping the finger and just doing some easy climbing on it. Gradually increase the load and see how it goes. Hardly worth spending $$ on ultrasounds if you are not in any discomfort.

The good Dr
1-Dec-2014
1:09:44 PM
Sorry, I forgot rule #1

If someone asks on an internet forum about a medical condition they do not want to get it correctly diagnosed but would prefer total strangers with minimal medical training to tell them that everything is OK and just train through it.

My bad.

Eduardo Slabofvic
1-Dec-2014
1:34:27 PM
Administer a sock orally.
Leopotamus
2-Dec-2014
5:24:54 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Just so we are clear here, I ain't going to be suing anyone for advice and stories :). Just comparing notes. And being a dirtbag climber, any investment in treatment needs to be an educated choice. Doctors/physios/OTs ain't cheap.

I am currently backpacking around the USA as well, and my experience with doctors here has been less than desirable. Bunch of f---ing hustlers.

I'll keep you guys posted :) oh and I should update the thread about my shoulder surgery.

Snacks
2-Dec-2014
10:25:41 AM
Here's one for fingers and pulleys and I think is really good as it provides you with subjective symptoms of the grade of the injury with a corresponding treatment plan...

http://www.climbinginjuries.com/fingers-pulleys/

This isn't directly relevant but should you give an idea of the minimum you should be doing.

Don't be a fool that complains in 10 years time about how you didn't take care of an injury that now nags at you as a chronic problem...

Snacks
2-Dec-2014
11:21:46 AM
Here's another one I just found in my favourites...

http://thomasbondphysio.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/finger-injuries-symptoms-and-management.html

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints