Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40
Author
Victorian rock climber dead - SthAust cliff plunge
tskinner
29-Apr-2014
2:19:55 PM
On 29/04/2014 rockwalker wrote:
>has his name been released yet? I'd like to know if I knew him.
Yes. Details are on the VCC website. Sad days.
dalai
29-Apr-2014
4:52:37 PM
Sad news indeed. Condolences to all that knew him.

nmonteith
29-Apr-2014
5:16:21 PM
From VCC site...

"It is with deep regret that we wish to advise that club member Patrick Chung died on Thursday 24th April, as a result of a fall from the cliffs of The Great Wall at Moonarie, in South Australia.

Information regarding the funeral will be announced when details are confirmed.

Patrick passed away while doing something he loved, and he will be greatly missed by all who knew him. Our sincerest condolences to Patrick's family and friends. R.I.P. Patrick."
Kevin
29-Apr-2014
5:23:57 PM
Hope this is not out of line but could someone PM me Patricks chocky username. Think I may have climbed with him.

Very sad news.

nmonteith
29-Apr-2014
5:35:45 PM
Patrick was Pecheur on these forums. We very very sadly lost one of our own....

ajfclark
29-Apr-2014
6:40:07 PM
Vale Pecheur. You will be missed.

There's a memorial thread on facebook. If people would like the link, PM me.

sbm
29-Apr-2014
7:05:26 PM
This news was terrible, and jarring after all the fuss about the squeeze test incident. I feel sad for everyone who was part of his life.

A regular on the ski.com.au backcountry forum has also passed away over Easter. There was some confusion whether it was the same person but it's actually just more sad news.
hodgsonc
29-Apr-2014
7:37:15 PM
YES, I WOULD LIKE THE LINK.
This accident has saddened me greatly. I didn't know him but certainly feel for his family and friends.

BoulderBaby
29-Apr-2014
7:43:18 PM
On 29/04/2014 nmonteith wrote:
>From VCC site...
>
>"It is with deep regret that we wish to advise that club member Patrick
>Chung died on Thursday 24th April, as a result of a fall from the cliffs
>of The Great Wall at Moonarie, in South Australia.
>
>Information regarding the funeral will be announced when details are confirmed.
>
>Patrick passed away while doing something he loved, and he will be greatly
>missed by all who knew him. Our sincerest condolences to Patrick's family
>and friends. R.I.P. Patrick."

Rest in Peace Patrick x

Sabu
29-Apr-2014
9:46:25 PM
My sincerest condolences to his friends and family. While I never knew him personally it sounds like he was a well regarded and much loved climber. Rest in Peace Patrick.
Con
30-Apr-2014
7:00:50 AM
Facebook Memorial Link

In loving memory : Patrick Chung

https://www.facebook.com/groups/574456019328619/
Will_P
30-Apr-2014
2:36:24 PM
This just sucks in every way. I'd assumed it was Pat, but to have it confirmed... my most sincere condolences to family and friends.

I didn't really 'know' Pat - I'd had a couple of conversations with him when I was just getting back into climbing a few years ago, on my first (and last) VCC trip. Too many people, too much d*ck-measuring for me, but it was clear he was there to climb. We'd then see each other over the next few years, at Araps, Buffalo, and (I think) the Grampians, and do that thing that us guys in our 30's do with 'acquaintances' - one of us would raise the eyebrows slightly, with a bit of an upward tilt to the head; the other responds with a nod - kind of a 'hey, I know you, how's it going?' give-and-take.

That said, I always thought he'd be great to climb with. Enthusiastic and adventurous, but safe and sensible, was the impression I got. When I went to do 'Mixed Climb' at Rosea a few weeks ago for the first time, I remembered what he'd said about it in a thread here on Chockstone - 'biggest sandbags' or something like that - that while it wasn't a title contender for 'biggest sandbag', it was very serious for the grade, but a great adventure (or words to that effect). I wanted my partner on that climb to be aware this wasn't your average gr.12, so told him 'a reliable source mentioned this climb on a thread titled 'World's Greatest Sandbags''. Pat sure was right on all counts, and I was glad I'd paid attention.

Again, so very sorry to hear this, and I hope his family and friends are getting the support they need. He'll obviously be sorely missed, even by those of us who didn't know him well.
fl360
30-Apr-2014
3:31:39 PM
New to this forum, not a climber but an occasional hiker.

I was just notified with regards to Patrick's death by my mother this morning.
As a relative (his father's brother = my mother's father). After viewing this thread and his FB tribute page. We thank you for your support and condolences.

I remembered 20 years ago when my family arrives in Australia it was him and his family who familiarise us with Melbourne, across the years we will have regular catch ups and family dinners etc and I always remembered him as a humble person and his subtle but humorous conversations. Since then family gathering was getting rarer as his brother moves up to Brisbane and I move up to Sydney.

He will be sadly missed, but we imagine him will be up there smiling and venturing everywhere with his beloved grandmother and his mother (who passed away about 3 years ago).

ajfclark
6-May-2014
11:52:50 AM
Details of the funeral: http://www.vicclimb.org.au/index.php#295

Accident report: http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=5&MessageID=11754&Replies=7&PagePos=20&Sort=LastMessage
simion
7-May-2014
8:17:46 PM
I didn't know Patrick well, but i decided to make a username after i read about this terrible accident. Just want to say how sad I am to hear about this after briefly climbing with Patrick at Mount Buffalo and seeing him about the city gym a few times. Sad times.

23-May-2014
12:03:48 AM
I only recently heard about this news and thought I would share the moment I first met Patrick. It stands out in my mind even twenty years on.

It was pouring down with rain on the day that I met Patrick. I was walking into Melbourne University with my head bowed down trying to avoid the big drops of rain. Patrick, who I didn't know before that moment, walked up beside me and held his umbrella over my head to shield me from getting wet. He wasn't the least bit concerned that he was getting rained on. We chatted until we arrived at a sheltered building, I thanked him and we then parted ways. That was the most chivalrous act I had ever encountered.

In the past few years, I'd seen Patrick bouldering at Lactic Factory and he would merry shot me a smile and happily ask me how I was. I appreciated his enthusiasm and happiness for life and I looked on in wonder.

He would have been a great person to climb with and share campfire banter with.
acts
29-May-2014
12:46:09 PM
On 23/05/2014 ti wrote:
>I only recently heard about this news and thought I would share the moment
>I first met Patrick. It stands out in my mind even twenty years on.
>
>It was pouring down with rain on the day that I met Patrick. I was walking
>into Melbourne University with my head bowed down trying to avoid the big
>drops of rain. Patrick, who I didn't know before that moment, walked up
>beside me and held his umbrella over my head to shield me from getting
>wet. He wasn't the least bit concerned that he was getting rained on. We
>chatted until we arrived at a sheltered building, I thanked him and we
>then parted ways. That was the most chivalrous act I had ever encountered.
>
>In the past few years, I'd seen Patrick bouldering at Lactic Factory and
>he would merry shot me a smile and happily ask me how I was. I appreciated
>his enthusiasm and happiness for life and I looked on in wonder.
>
>He would have been a great person to climb with and share campfire banter
>with.

From all that were said it was obvious that Pat was a kind & sensible person.
He used to share his umbrella with strangers in the rain, offered accommodation to friends in his humble unit, support friends and workmates, and visit his dad twice a week since his mum passed away.
Your kind words are just words. Action speaks louder than words.
I would like to remind you that Moonarie is a stunning but very difficult climb. The grading needs to be upped 2 notches. You should leave your emergency contact with the trip leader with full name, relationship and phone no. Police is not going to contact Tom/Dick/Harry to tell them your relative is dead.
Never put peer pressure on someone to climb and never yield to pressure.
Your sensible acts mean a world to your friends and family.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24-Apr-2015
12:54:52 PM
Rest in peace Patrick.
~> well I remember your cheeky grin and mischievous chuckle...

shortman
24-Apr-2015
1:27:18 PM
On 24/04/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Rest in peace Patrick.
>~> well I remember your cheeky grin and mischievous chuckle...

Well said M9.

ajfclark
24-Apr-2015
2:44:34 PM
+1

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40
There are 40 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints