HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Bizzare Almost Accident (Beware a graphic pic)
Tastrad
4-Apr-2014
8:44:49 AM
Saw a crazy incident yesterday which I've never seen or heard of before.

A visiting British climber was leading Long Kiss Goodnight (22) at Hillwood. Going over the roof near the top, all of a sudden he couldn't move upwards.
The pull-on loop on the front of his climbing slipper had miraculously clipped through the quickdraw on the bolt as he climbed past. Now he was facing the prospect of an upside down fall and hanging from his foot from the bolt.
He down climbed, somehow got his shoe off, and continued with a bare foot to the anchors, and completed the onsight.
Great effort. Anyone heard of this happening before?
f_abe
4-Apr-2014
9:02:48 AM
No - but in a similar vein a mate once got a loop of finger tape stuck in the draw whilst clipping while horizontal on Kidney Stoned up at Millenium. He too somehow managed to wiggle it free, clip the rope and continue to the anchors.

nmonteith
4-Apr-2014
9:16:33 AM
I've had this happen on a roof route. Ended up having to reverse a couple of moves into a contorted figure 4 kind of position (foot clipped in at my eye level!). Got held by belayer on the rope and pulled shoe off. It was the 2nd bolt on a low level roof route, where if i had fallen off i would have swung up side down face first into the ground.
daave
4-Apr-2014
9:46:33 AM
I had a loop on my glove clip into a quick draw while leading some mixed route at Haffner Creek on our recent ice trip to canada this year. Not as bad as the old shoe-lacey-through-the-biner trick, but was a little scared trying to figure it out with points going all which way. I think I ended up just ripping my glove in desperation.

nmonteith
4-Apr-2014
9:54:14 AM
On 4/04/2014 f_abe wrote:
>No - but in a similar vein a mate once got a loop of finger tape stuck
>in the draw whilst clipping while horizontal on Kidney Stoned up at Millenium.

I've also had this happen on several occasions with poorly made crack gloves where a loop forms between thumb and forefinger. Go to clip a draw and the loop clips in as well! Problem with crack gloves is the tape is usually a couple of strips thick and I couldn't tear it off one handed. I had to gnaw it off with my teeth. After it happened twice I now make my crack gloves differently!
mikllaw
4-Apr-2014
10:03:58 AM
Steve Howden was placing a poor RP (his only pro at that point) in some cramped position and clipped his earing to it. If he fell, the RP would probably have pulled the earing out, but it was doubtful whether it woulfd have held a fall. He hung and yanked the earring through the earlobe and managed to downclimb.

Macciza
4-Apr-2014
12:58:37 PM
I've ended up with a draw clipped to holes in my pants, near my knee, whilst on thin crimps after a long move . . .
Unable to really to do anything in the situation except have a good laugh at the silliness of it all, ask for some extra slack and jump off . . .
All worked out in the end . . .

ajfclark
4-Apr-2014
2:27:11 PM
Worst thing I've ever heard of accidentally catching on a quickdraw is their biceps tendon:

Full story

sbm
4-Apr-2014
5:09:47 PM
I think I can top all of these. A young woman in our group who was learning to lead, was really pumped and got her tank top and bra strap accidentally clipped into the quickdraw. After some hilarious dialog, she was fortunately (or unfortunately for some watching) able to hold on, unclip her top and clip in the rope. It would have been truly spectacular whipper.

ajfclark
4-Apr-2014
8:56:15 PM
She would've gone tits up as it were...

Miguel75
4-Apr-2014
9:15:16 PM
BigChris's friend Vicki did herself a mischief involving a wristwatch, a biner, her palm and a hundred odd stitches.

BigChris, do you still have the pics?
martym
4-Apr-2014
9:28:12 PM
On 4/04/2014 Tastrad wrote:
>Saw a crazy incident yesterday which I've never seen or heard of before.
> Anyone heard of this happening before?
Olbert did almost exactly the same thing in 2012.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints