Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Set of 11 "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) N/B NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts.  $169.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
surgery review, needle job on Dupuytren's
mikllaw
18/02/2013
8:42:29 PM
I had hand surgery last week on my Dupuytren’s Contractures on one hand. It was painful but had a very quick recovery I had about 10 local anaesthetic injections in the palm, which is super sensitive.

There are 2 different main techniques, a "palm-off" (fasciotomy) which seems very good, but seems to take a long time to heal, or a needle aponeuroty which just cuts the tight areas with a needle. There are about little 14 holes where he did work, all pretty much healed up in 3 days. A very fast recovery is the main advantage.

Hand the day before surgery, 4 days after, and 11 days after

I have fair range of movement and will started some easy climbing after 10 days. I'm still weak, just like before, unfortunately.

Both methods of correction have a fairly high level of recurrence, so I'll report back in a few years.

Superstu
18/02/2013
9:04:18 PM
Looks like you'll be hand jambing again in no time mike!

Sounds like the surgery option for drupeys is still considered more reliable than the pharmaceutical option? Injecting acid into your hand sounds kinda cool though.

shortman
18/02/2013
9:27:56 PM
My juggling mentor had this and just learned to cope with surgery every few years. However, later in life it turned out to be diet related I think. As in changing his diet prolonged the space between surgeries. As you would know it takes a while before the hand become pretty much totally f#cked.

I could try and track him down to find out what he changed if you want?
mikllaw
18/02/2013
9:51:01 PM
On 18/02/2013 shortman wrote:
>My juggling mentor had this and just learned to cope with surgery every
>few years. However, later in life it turned out to be diet related I think.
>As in changing his diet prolonged the space between surgeries. As you would
>know it takes a while before the hand become pretty much totally f#cked.
>
>
>I could try and track him down to find out what he changed if you want?

So long as it isn't plonk or any member of the 'ch' food group (chips, cheese, chops, chicken, chorizo, champagne) I'm keen

IdratherbeclimbingM9
18/02/2013
9:52:32 PM
On 18/02/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>I had hand surgery last week on my Dupuytren’s Contractures on one hand.
>(snip)
Good to see you can slap the grasshoppers now instead of cupping them...
Cheers,
Idra~>M9

Eduardo Slabofvic
18/02/2013
11:06:55 PM
Getting old sux, doesn't it?
johnpitcairn
19/02/2013
6:37:25 AM
Booze has been implicated anecdotally. There's seemingly bugger all research around it, probably because it's an old working man's problem and nobody dies from it.

I've been afflicted with Dupuytrens since my 20s, in both hands and one foot (gulp), 2 surgeries to date at 50, contemplating my 3rd soon. Last was 7 years ago, before I started climbing, but I have some suspicion a hurried job left some of the fibroma in there and it reattached to an adjacent area.

The needling has never been suggested as an option here in NZ.

Shortman, I'd like to hear about your mentor's diet change.
technogeekery
19/02/2013
9:22:11 AM
Glad to hear that seems to have worked well :-)

Looked it up as I hadn't heard of this. Was wondering if it could be related to stress from climbing.

From Wikipedia: "Some suspected, but unproven, causes of Dupuytren's contracture include trauma, diabetes, alcoholism, epilepsy therapy with phenytoin, and liver disease. There is no proven evidence that hand injuries or specific occupational exposures lead to a higher risk of developing Dupuytren’s contracture, although there is some speculation that Dupuytren's may be caused by, or at least the onset may be triggered by, physical trauma such as manual labor or other over-exertion of the hands. However, the fact that Dupuytren's is not connected with handedness casts some doubt on this claim"

Maybe you are just lucky :P

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints