Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: Camelot X4 - Size 0.1 (Red) Strength: 5kN Range: 8.4 to 13.8mm   $75.00
25% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Fire (out) / Fall Mt Buffalo 19-20 th Jan 2013

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20/01/2013
6:50:41 PM
I have received two CFA fire incident warnings by mobile phone this weekend for small fires at Mt Buffalo.

Yesterday around mid-day there was a fire on the Eurobin Falls track, and today about half hour ago there was another fire, but this time located on the Monolith track.
It would appear that they were put out rather promptly as the updates on the phone did not last that long, but were there long enough for me to see that both incidents were well off the road (assuming the locations were correct).

This indicates to me that there is a strong possibility someone bastard is currently up there lighting these fires, as there have been no lightning strikes etc.

Anyone going there now or in the near future (in my opinion), should be particularly aware and report any suspicious behaviour, as we can all do without this kind of thing, let alone be climbing somewhere up there and have access back to safety cut off in this manner.

Post edit:
When I hear of this kind of stupidity, I can more easily understand how and why vigilante groups and lynch mobs form...

2nd Post edit:
Thread topic amended to reflect update of new information in my next post.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21/01/2013
10:35:06 AM
Ahh, the vagaries of modern technology...

Earlier this morning I caught a snippet of ABC radio news saying something about a rescue around noon Saturday of a male injured (broken leg/s? plus back injuries), in a 40 metre fall at Eurobin Falls. I have listened to all the news reports since and they did not repeat the information.

I don't know any further details despite searching various news sources (local papers, local radio, Police and Parks Vic sites), and re-checking the CFA incidents on their home page.

Although the sms that came to phone on Saturday clearly indicated the incident as being a fire, there is a better than even chance that it relates to the 'fall incident'.

I am now confirmed in my belief that misinformation, especially combined with lack of follow-up detail, is a modern technology trap.

Further info may come to light at a later date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post edit:
WIN news tonight reckoned the male is 24 years old from Melbourne and broke his leg after sliding 40 m down Eurobin Falls. Police are urging visitors to the area to take care...
No further information to hand at present.

There are 2 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints