Author
A Slackliner's Mind on Film

ajfclark
8-Apr-2013
8:24:31 AM
rightarmbad
8-Apr-2013
9:40:40 AM
I don't think that these lines rigged on purpose installed anchors is any threat/ inconvenience to climbers.
But the rope swing is in dangerous territory that may well have bigger implications re access.

To most people, climbing and slacklining look scary as it is, but rope swings just look stupid dangerous and will draw unwarranted attention to all aspects of the vertical world.

Climbing and slacklining groups that partake in this really should look at the need to put this sort of thing up on public display on youtube.

Rope swings, and it's much more dangerous rope jump cousin, are not really something that will forward any attempts at legitimate access.

After some thought, I am quite happy to share a crag with a highline, and dare I say it, I have reconsidered my stance about highlines at Frog.

But please leave the blatant thrill seeking swings at home or at least off the internet.
The public in general are simply not ready to consider this as anything but dangerous and stupid and it will reflect negatively on all vertical user groups.

Doesn't matter what it is you do out there, you must always have a little man on your shoulder whispering in your ear to be wary of endangering access to resources for all.
uwhp510
8-Apr-2013
10:17:03 AM
On 8/04/2013 rightarmbad wrote:

>But please leave the blatant thrill seeking swings at home or at least
>off the internet.

Here here, there's NOTHING WORSE than someone BLATANTLY seeking thrills. Thrills should only be sought through subtlety and discretion.
climberman
8-Apr-2013
7:39:43 PM
>I don't think that these lines rigged on purpose installed anchors is any
>threat/ inconvenience to climbers.
>But the rope swing is in dangerous territory that may well have bigger
>implications re access.
>
>To most people, climbing and slacklining look scary as it is, but rope
>swings just look stupid dangerous and will draw unwarranted attention to
>all aspects of the vertical world.
>
>Climbing and slacklining groups that partake in this really should look
>at the need to put this sort of thing up on public display on youtube.
>
>Rope swings, and it's much more dangerous rope jump cousin, are not really
>something that will forward any attempts at legitimate access.
>
>After some thought, I am quite happy to share a crag with a highline,
>and dare I say it, I have reconsidered my stance about highlines at Frog.
>
>off the internet.
>The public in general are simply not ready to consider this as anything
>but dangerous and stupid and it will reflect negatively on all vertical
>user groups.
>
>Doesn't matter what it is you do out there, you must always have a little
>man on your shoulder whispering in your ear to be wary of endangering access
>to resources for all.

I agree - after all, slingshots are illegal in NSW.
Olbert
8-Apr-2013
7:56:46 PM
>I don't think that these lines rigged on purpose installed anchors is any
>threat/ inconvenience to climbers.
>But the rope swing is in dangerous territory that may well have bigger
>implications re access.
>
>To most people, climbing and slacklining look scary as it is, but rope
>swings just look stupid dangerous and will draw unwarranted attention to
>all aspects of the vertical world.
>
>Climbing and slacklining groups that partake in this really should look
>at the need to put this sort of thing up on public display on youtube.
>
>Rope swings, and it's much more dangerous rope jump cousin, are not really
>something that will forward any attempts at legitimate access.
>
>After some thought, I am quite happy to share a crag with a highline,
>and dare I say it, I have reconsidered my stance about highlines at Frog.
>
>off the internet.
>The public in general are simply not ready to consider this as anything
>but dangerous and stupid and it will reflect negatively on all vertical
>user groups.
>
>Doesn't matter what it is you do out there, you must always have a little
>man on your shoulder whispering in your ear to be wary of endangering access
>to resources for all.

This post is the closest I have come to getting angry on Chockstone. Rope swings are as safe as any climbing or slack lining if you know what you are doing. To suggest otherwise is bullshit. Using the same anti putting videos online bullshit logic half of YouTube should be taken down and all RedBull sponsored sports should never appear on tv.

If somebody has no idea what they are doing, hurts themselves rope swinging then it should be viewed the same as anybody else who hurts themselves when they have no idea what they are doing.
rightarmbad
8-Apr-2013
11:47:04 PM
I agree with you Olbert, but it is public perception that I am concerned with, not reality.
To Joe public, bungy jumping is extreme, rope swings look to them to be far out there.

Let the activity soak it's way into culture a bit more before pasting it all over the web if it is going to be portrayed as part of climbing or slacklining.

If you want to post up a rope swing, go for it.

I just think that there should be a token effort to keep the disciplines separate in the public domain.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints