ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Page 1 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160
Author
1 x belay for Indoor / outdoor - (non vcc thread)
bridh
13-Feb-2010
7:58:03 AM
Call 0423065743 or pm if you climb often and need someone to belay.

jimihendrix
13-Feb-2010
6:49:34 PM
heya there
where are you living?

ajfclark
13-Feb-2010
8:25:21 PM
His profile says Ringwood.
Wendy
14-Feb-2010
12:55:36 PM
I don't quite understand what the big problem with the VCC is. It seems you are an inexperienced climber who doesn't lead and only follows relatively low grades. It's actually quite a task to pick up a random climbing partner from that position. People like their climbing partners to be kinda equal. Or at least reasonably likely to be able to look after themselves, swap leads, have their own gear etc etc. Picking up a single partner off here, you have are chancing that that one person is both competant and personable (as they are with you, hence the general lack of interest in heading out with a inexperienced stranger). In a club, you are guaranteed to have a certain number of competant people and in a group, surely at least some of them will be personable. And many of the people with the good will to take a beginner they don't know froma bar of soap under their wing are already doing so under the flag of such clubs. You also will meet plenty of fellow climbers so that you increase your own circle of potential cimbing partners outside of club trips.

I did most of my early climbing with Adelaide Uni Mountain club. I had heaps of climbing partners, did heaps of climbing, went on heaps of trips, learnt heaps and heaps and had a rollicking good time doing so.

I'm not even a member of the VCC, but i'd still advocate them to anyone looking to meet people and learn more about climbing. I've even found plenty of rather pleasant and interesting people belong to it. They're also quite good to support for the work they do in access and environmental stuff.
Paul
14-Feb-2010
3:42:51 PM
Just go to the gym in Nunawading, you will find someone there. I often arive late to find one of my partners belaying some random who they have just met.
simey
14-Feb-2010
10:09:00 PM
On 14/02/2010 Wendy wrote:
>I don't quite understand what the big problem with the VCC is...

I agree. I learnt to climb with the VCC and reckon it is the best way to meet climbing partners. I don't recall any restrictive club rules. And unlike many other climbers, members of the VCC actually put something back into climbing... resolve cliff access issues, get involved with working bees and produce/fund guidebooks.

wallwombat
14-Feb-2010
10:16:15 PM
Maybe he had a bad experience in the Boy Scouts or something.

Maybe he's just a webel.
bridh
15-Feb-2010
8:28:51 AM
I live in ringwood
rockranga
15-Feb-2010
9:16:10 AM
hi mate

we often climb in the city, you're welcome to join us anytime. Depending on the day there's anywhere from two of us to six (though rarely so many). Just PM me and i'll let you know when we'll be there.
juanes
15-Feb-2010
11:05:15 AM
Who do you recon, started clubs like the VCC (not a VCC member but I have mailed my form after a year of having it on my desk). It was climbers looking for people to climb with; which started the few clubs that are available. As for restrictive rules. Well wearing a helmet and not being a dick, its just common sense and good manners.
patto
15-Feb-2010
4:50:06 PM
I think a tradition needs to be continued to turn all bridh's threads into VCC threads.
one day hero
15-Feb-2010
11:34:44 PM
On 14/02/2010 wallwombat wrote:
>Maybe he had a bad experience in the Boy Scouts or something.
>
>Maybe he's just a webel.

I had horrible experiences with climbing clubs when I started. It doesn't take a whole lot of brains to realise that dipshits who drive 600k's round trip for a weekend of climbing, then sit around till 11:30 making pancakes and talking shit, and then only get 8 pitches done in two days......are not gonna get very far in the sport.

f--- the clubs unless you want to be mediocre like them (or if you need a root).

Find a psyched mate and teach yourself. Also, be motivated and nice around good climbers in the gym, they'll take you out and teach you stuff once they get to know you a bit

simey
15-Feb-2010
11:49:28 PM
On 15/02/2010 one day hero wrote:
>Also, be motivated and nice around good climbers in the gym, they'll take you out and teach you stuff once they get to know you a bit

Bullshit... unless they're cute.

one day hero
16-Feb-2010
12:22:43 AM
Well, maybe not climbers who are too good (they don't want to be on numpty duty anymore), but I've spent large chunks of time unemployed and ready to climb with anyone who is motivated, nice and free midweek. I'd like to think I've helped a few folk become better climbers, but perhaps I just used them as belay slaves then moved on when they knew enough to complain :)
simey
16-Feb-2010
8:30:58 AM
On 16/02/2010 one day hero wrote:
>but perhaps I just used them as belay slaves then moved on when they knew enough to complain :)

That sounds more like it.
bridh
16-Feb-2010
8:59:52 AM
I tend to agree with the 'one day hero'

Sarah Gara
16-Feb-2010
9:33:04 AM
I'm in the VCC but i can also climb without the VCC - If you are around labour day weekend at Araps give me a shout - i warn you though I will be camping with the VCC but we can sneek off and not climb with the VCC for a day if you want - although i have to say they are a lovely bunch.

I'd prefer though if you wear a helmet and if you weren't a dick (which I'm sure you're not) But hey it's your choice ( the helmet anyway)

i got told off last time with thte VCC for taking my helmet off at the top of the crag -when i was tied in and the only thing that could possible fall on my head would have been if a bird dropped something. - I thought it was a bit excessive but I can appreciate the reasaoning behind it all. x
simey
16-Feb-2010
11:18:52 AM
On 16/02/2010 Sarah Gara wrote:
>i got told off last time with thte VCC for taking my helmet off at the
>top of the crag -when i was tied in and the only thing that could possible
>fall on my head would have been if a bird dropped something. - I thought
>it was a bit excessive but I can appreciate the reasaoning behind it all.

Gee, when did this nazi helmet policy become part of the VCC? I learnt to lead with the VCC and I don't recall ever wearing a helmet. And now you can't even take your helmet off at the top of the crag?! That's a bit over the top.

ajfclark
16-Feb-2010
11:27:17 AM
Blame the insurers. From Trip participant guidelines:
Due to conditions of the Club’s insurance, it is a requirement that all trip participants wear helmets at all times when climbing, belaying, or above or below a cliff.

Sarah Gara
16-Feb-2010
11:41:18 AM
It is a bit absolutist and I don't like blanket rules (as I feel rules are made to be broken) but really it's not such a big deal. and I understand why they have to do it.

Anyway Lets get back on topic - Who is gonna go climbing with Birdh? i have already offered my services. - as of ANZAC day i'll be around most weekends too. x

Page 1 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160
There are 160 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints