ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Page 2 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160
Author
1 x belay for Indoor / outdoor - (non vcc thread)

ajfclark
16-Feb-2010
11:57:20 AM
On 16/02/2010 Sarah Gara wrote:
>It is a bit absolutist and I don't like blanket rules (as I feel rules are made to be broken) but really it's not such a big deal. and I understand why they have to do it.

From the perspective of the trip leader an absolute rule is far simpler to enforce, there's no room for interpretation or argument. That's probably why the insurer has gone for it too.
simey
16-Feb-2010
2:14:09 PM
If I was a trip leader I wouldn't be telling people to wear their helmets in zero danger zones. Insurance isn't going to play a role in a situation where no one can get hurt. There is too much concern about insurance requirements and not enough focus on genuine dangers.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Feb-2010
3:47:58 PM
Maybe the requirement to wear helmets at the cliff top is related to the possibility of helping the wearer if they happen to fall?

aarond
16-Feb-2010
3:59:34 PM
whats the problem with helmets?

Are you going to die if you wear one?????
is someone going to laugh at you and say 'look at that moron as if you would wear a helmet, what a loser'?

Maybe ill stop wearing a seat belt in my car, I've been driving almost 10 years basically it hasn't done anything for me yet, its just a pain in the arse, it takes me a few sec longer to put on and take off, id rather just save the time and drive without it.
i don't like the police (or climbing clubs) becasue they make me wear my seat belt (or wear a helmet).
pharmamatt
16-Feb-2010
4:04:09 PM
As someone who has run beginner trips through a uni club, helmet hire was free of charge but everyone registered on the trip at the cliff face had to wear a helmet (esp at werribee gorge), mainly i did not want to have to explain to sports and rec/insurance why someone who became injured without a helmet on, one getting me in the shit and secondly an insurance company getting out of paying medical costs to the injured party. thankfully i was never involved in a case involving a head injury.

rockranga
16-Feb-2010
4:04:49 PM
On 16/02/2010 aarond wrote:

>Maybe ill stop wearing a seat belt in my car, I've been driving almost
>10 years basically it hasn't done anything for me yet, its just a pain
>in the arse, it takes me a few sec longer to put on and take off, id rather
>just save the time and drive without it.
>i don't like the police (or climbing clubs) becasue they make me wear
>my seat belt (or wear a helmet).

If you drive your car off a cliff you'll probably want both
paul
16-Feb-2010
4:07:51 PM
Reasons for beginers wearing helmets at the top of the cliff.

They can't loose their helmet.
They can't drop their helmet off the cliff by accident.
If they trip over there is less chance of a concussion.
It is easier to vissually spot where people are when they are wearing brightly coloured helmets.
Less chance of getting the top of their head sunburnt.
A great way to hide bald spots or regrowth from dyed hair.

aarond
16-Feb-2010
4:09:24 PM
>
>If you drive your car off a cliff you'll probably want both

haha good point.
I'm just pointing out it seems a just as stupid argument if people complain about wearing helmets.
rockranga
16-Feb-2010
4:21:45 PM
>haha good point.
>I'm just pointing out it seems a just as stupid argument if people complain
>about wearing helmets.

totally agree, you can't get hurt wearing one, and even the cheap ones site nice and comfortably so i can't see any reason not to wear them.

Having said that, if the individual feels their too cool to wear a helmat then by all means they're welcome to take it off. Personally i think there's two good reasons why they should do what they want

1. They can't climb if they crack their head open, more free climbs for the rest of us... wicked cool fully sick mate
2. Brain damage looks waaaaayyyy cooler than a helmat

Paul brings up 6 very good points and if you researched all the accidents that have happened over the years you'd find another 50 reasons to wear a helmat even on top of a crag. Not saying it's a 'be all and end' all rule but it can't hurt. Certainly we're all guilty of taking our helmats off at inappropriate times (and doing all sorts of stupid things at one time or another), but i'd hate to be a trip leader who took a noob out and did everything right only to have the spaz drop his helmat on a passer by, or trips and land badly, or have any other number of strange but entirely possible scenarios happen.

voodoo
16-Feb-2010
4:26:14 PM
Having previously run outings with beginner groups (adolescents mainly) for a couple of years, I can appreciate where the blanket rule approach comes from - it just simplifies group management.

The one thing that novices do really badly is identifying genuine danger (something that only comes with experience) - which means you really can't just leave it up to them to work out when it's appropriate to put on/take off. Which means that you set yourself up to spend a whole lot of time throughout the day telling people when to put their helmets on or take them off again (which gets dull very quickly).

...or you simply encourage people to keep them on their melons for the duration - after all modern, light helmets aren't the imposition they used to be.
Paul
16-Feb-2010
5:07:47 PM
On 16/02/2010 rockranga wrote:
>>haha good point.
>>I'm just pointing out it seems a just as stupid argument if people complain
>>about wearing helmets.
>
>totally agree, you can't get hurt wearing one, and even the cheap ones
>site nice and comfortably so i can't see any reason not to wear them.
>
>Having said that, if the individual feels their too cool to wear a helmat
>then by all means they're welcome to take it off. Personally i think there's
>two good reasons why they should do what they want
>
>1. They can't climb if they crack their head open, more free climbs for
>the rest of us... wicked cool fully sick mate
>2. Brain damage looks waaaaayyyy cooler than a helmat
>
>Paul brings up 6 very good points and if you researched all the accidents
>that have happened over the years you'd find another 50 reasons to wear
>a helmat even on top of a crag. Not saying it's a 'be all and end' all
>rule but it can't hurt. Certainly we're all guilty of taking our helmats
>off at inappropriate times (and doing all sorts of stupid things at one
>time or another), but i'd hate to be a trip leader who took a noob out
>and did everything right only to have the spaz drop his helmat on a passer
>by, or trips and land badly, or have any other number of strange but entirely
>possible scenarios happen.

I got hit in the head by a helmet which got dropped from the top of Werriby Gourge once, luckily I was wearing a helmet, it still felt like a decent impact though.

Sarah Gara
16-Feb-2010
5:15:14 PM
think you are all being v mean to Birdh and his non VCC thread - I do feel bad about it.

However...

I think that the rule on helmets is fair enough at the bottom and when climbing and I suppose at a stretch on belay ledges - my only issue with it was when it was really hot and i was at the top - now my helmet is one of those rubbish ones and I really do not that would help in a fall only in protecting my head from something falling therefore I didn't see a problem with taking it off at the top of a single pitch climb esp as it was really hot. But the VCC aren't the ones that care about helmets it's the insurance company. x
Wendy
16-Feb-2010
7:14:39 PM
If we look back 6 months or so, both Sarah and Bridh were on here looking for climbing partners. Sarah joined the VCC and hasn't lacked climbing partners since. Bridh didn't want a bar of the VCC and is still posting requests for climbing partners. I think dealing with helmets on the top of the crag is a rather small price to pay for 6 months of climbing trips. But, if Bridh really thinks that sticking to his guns is worth missing out on all of those opportunities, well, that's his choice. I went from non climber to leading trad 19 after 6 months of climbing with one of those annoying club like things. Bridh's last 6 months have seen him progress from seconding 12 to seconding 16. Still, if waiting for a non club saviour is the only way forward for you, well, go for your life.

simey
16-Feb-2010
7:33:42 PM
On 14/02/2010 Paul wrote:
>Just go to the gym in Nunawading, you will find someone there. I often arive late to find one of my partners belaying some random who they have just met.

This is how climbing clubs such as the VCC recruit members into their cults. They look for lost souls wandering around climbing gyms aimlessly and offer them a belay. The climbing club person will seem perfectly normal and super-friendly. They will massage your ego and offer you a chance to join one of their climbing weekends. Before you know it you are sitting around a campfire being deprived of any sleep. Request to phone family and friends will be denied. Your remaining days will probably be spent selling raffle tickets for Cliffcare and reciting passages from Argus. However that is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to these evil climbing cults.

I heard one such climbing club led by Eric Jones moved to South America and all his followers founded Jonestown. I'm sure you have all heard the tragic end to that story.

ajfclark
16-Feb-2010
7:35:25 PM
I knew I forgot something on the last trip... Kool Aid... Oh Yeah!
egosan
16-Feb-2010
7:48:17 PM
Oh my God, Simon.

I love Kool Aid. I needed that laugh. Thank you.

wallwombat
16-Feb-2010
8:41:13 PM
I reckon if this thread keeps going Bridh is going to tell us all to get rooted, give up climbing and take up parkour, like that last poor bloke.
egosan
16-Feb-2010
9:23:46 PM
On 16/02/2010 wallwombat wrote:
>I reckon if this thread keeps going Bridh is going to tell us all to get
>rooted, give up climbing and take up parkour, like that last poor bloke.

Which poor bloke is that?
Paul
16-Feb-2010
10:12:16 PM
On 16/02/2010 egosan wrote:
>On 16/02/2010 wallwombat wrote:
>>I reckon if this thread keeps going Bridh is going to tell us all to
>get
>>rooted, give up climbing and take up parkour, like that last poor bloke.
>
>Which poor bloke is that?

You mean the tool who was looking for parkour partners on this rock climbing forum about a year ago?

wallwombat
16-Feb-2010
11:04:39 PM
On 16/02/2010 Paul wrote:

>You mean the tool who was looking for parkour partners on this rock climbing
>forum about a year ago?

I don't think he was looking for partners. He was defending parkour, when we were giving it a bit of a bagging and got a bit hot under the collar and told us all to fark off.

He called himself certii.

Page 2 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160
There are 160 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints