Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Author
Heading to the Gramps
CanadianClimber
28-Apr-2015
5:23:38 AM
I'm doing a trip out to Australia this summer and making a stop off at the Grampians for some climbing. I was wondering what the clilmbing culture is like in the area. Would be able to just drive my car out to the boulders and find people to climb with? Would anybody be willing to show me around or reccomend a few areas that are must-dos?

I'm only going to be in town for the one day (June 30th) so I'd like to get in as much bouldering as possible.

Thanks in advance.
maxdacat
28-Apr-2015
6:37:46 AM
I'm going to overlook the obvious tautology of "climbing culture" :p You only have one day....really, it doesn't leave many options. Maybe look up Mt Zero Cabins for both a place to stay and ask if they have any groups of like-minded folk there at the same time. For one day in the very middle of OUR winter you could be freezing your a$$ off trying to find dry rock....or it could be awesome!

ajfclark
28-Apr-2015
7:21:59 AM
Grades? Style? Are you set on bouldering or would trad work for you? Do you have your own harness or pad or whatever? etc
CanadianClimber
29-Apr-2015
2:44:52 AM
I climb V4-5 outdoors and sport climb 5.11ish. Not too much experience with trad climbing, only tried it a couple times, but most people I climb with are boudlerers or sport climbers. I'd be down for some trad, but I was planning to do either trad or sport in the Blue Mountains so I'd prefer to check out bouldering while in the Grampians.

As far as gear, I'm travelling pretty light so I was only planning to bring my shoes. I'd be willing to chip in some money for borrowing people's gear though. Or if there's any places near by to rent pads/gear I'd be okay with that option too.

ajfclark
29-Apr-2015
6:47:05 AM
I ask because Arapiles is one of the best places to learn trad and has probably the most active campground. If I had one day in the region, that's where I'd head. There's some great bouldering scattered around the base of the mount too.
CanadianClimber
30-Apr-2015
4:15:52 PM
Hmm, sounds enticing, although I wasn't planning on bringing my harness or a rack so bouldering still seems like the best option.

ajfclark
30-Apr-2015
4:59:49 PM
Bring a harness, find someone with a rack.
maxdacat
1-May-2015
7:44:31 AM
There's plenty of easy bouldering you can do at Araps without a mat. All within 5 mins walk of the camp ground.

If I had one day (and wasn't too fussed about what I would get done) I would maybe head to Mt Stapylton and walk up to hollow mountain, take a look at Taipan wall and have a play on some of the caves and boulders dotted around the place.

nmonteith
1-May-2015
8:24:18 AM
Just checking that you know the Grampians is 4+ hours from Melbourne. It's a long drive for a day trip. I second the suggestion of doing the walk from Mt Zero picnic area up Flat Rock and to the base of Taipan Wall. You walk right past some of the most popular bouldering. In winter you may see no one however.

BoulderBaby
3-May-2015
7:20:17 PM
On 1/05/2015 nmonteith wrote:
> In winter you may
>see no one however.

You'll see plenty of friction hunters in the winter :)
CanadianClimber
4-May-2015
1:56:12 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll probably try to head towards Taipan wall like you guys suggested. I know it's a long drive, but my plan is to leave Melbourne, head to the 12 apostles, and then continue driving to the grampians before sleeping that night. I'll then have one more day to boulder before I have to leave. I wish I could stay longer, but most of the people I'm travelling with aren't climbers.

Hopefully I'll find some winter boulderers. It's pretty common to go winter/night bouldering where I'm from and you normally run into people even if it gets down to 4 or 5 degrees Celsius.
maxdacat
4-May-2015
2:35:43 PM
Check this link out:
http://osp.com.au/?p=329
I imagine a walk around Hollow Mountain would have something for everybody in a mixed group of climbers/non-climbers.

ajfclark
4-May-2015
3:44:50 PM
Hollow Mountain is closed.
kieranl
4-May-2015
3:45:22 PM
On 4/05/2015 maxdacat wrote:
>Check this link out:
>http://osp.com.au/?p=329
>I imagine a walk around Hollow Mountain would have something for everybody
>in a mixed group of climbers/non-climbers.
>
Hollow Mountain has been closed for over a year because of fire damage. Do not do that walk.
Please check the Cliffcare site to see what is open http://cliffcare.org.au/
lost tazmaniac
4-May-2015
5:27:44 PM
I'm not sure if Hollow Mountain is open for walkers yet.. I know the carpark is closed..
MichaelOR
4-May-2015
7:36:00 PM
The Hollow Mountain area is fully closed to the public. The carpark gate is locked and no access at all is permitted.
That includes walkers, bike riders, climbers and boulderers. All areas that are normally accessed from the carpark and the associated tracks are closed. This includes Summerday Valley, Sandinista area, Amnesty area and Andersons and everything around there. Also includes all the crags along the walk to VD Land.

The Mt Zero carpark is open and the walk up Flat Rock and onwards to the Amphitheatre and Taipan is open. So you can climb in the Amphitheatre.

Please check out the Cliffcare website if you are in doubt. All open crags and closed areas are well documented.
Please respect these closures as any unauthorised access to the closed areas will only make future access more difficult!

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints