Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 38
Author
Climbers Anonymous
bones
23-Feb-2011
2:18:00 PM
I'm prepared to get flamed for taking the fun out of climbing but here goes anyway....

Like lots of people I work full time in Melbourne, love climbing outdoors and do it whenever I can, and enjoy training but can't seem to maintain a training program for more than a couple of months at a time. I feel like I start a new training program every week.

I've been wondering whether some kind of training group would help. A bunch of like minded climbers that share training goals, get together at the gyms twice a week and hang sh*t on each other when they don't show up to training. Taking it a step further the group could meet at the pub once a month or so, review progress and set goals for next month (and get drunk).

Anyone tried something like that? Anyone interested?

ajfclark
23-Feb-2011
2:20:46 PM
Will there be rules?

nmonteith
23-Feb-2011
2:26:10 PM
On 23/02/2011 bones wrote:
>Taking it a step further the group could meet at the pub
>once a month or so, review progress and set goals for next month (and get
>drunk).

There is the first problem with your perceived training regime!
bones
23-Feb-2011
2:27:33 PM
On 23/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>Will there be rules?

No hammers
bones
23-Feb-2011
2:32:34 PM
On 23/02/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>On 23/02/2011 bones wrote:
>>Taking it a step further the group could meet at the pub
>>once a month or so, review progress and set goals for next month (and
>get
>>drunk).
>
>There is the first problem with your perceived training regime!

Carbo-loading is an important training tool

Eduardo Slabofvic
23-Feb-2011
2:36:16 PM
Neil would prefer it if instead of beer you shared a celery stick between you

pmonks
23-Feb-2011
2:39:03 PM
On 23/02/2011 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>Neil would prefer it if instead of beer you shared a celery stick between
>you

Is that a euphemism?

If so count me in - the new club sounds AWESOME!!
bones
23-Feb-2011
2:42:03 PM
On 23/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>Will there be rules?

Rule #2 - No "sharing of celery sticks"

will5686
23-Feb-2011
2:55:43 PM
I could be in for that... twice a week at a climbing gym sounds a little expensive for somebody on a student budget and without a car though (read: lots of travel time). I could do it once a week... God knows I need the training.

will5686
23-Feb-2011
2:56:22 PM
Also, if someone in the group does have a car we could arrange once monthly trips to Araps or the Grampians... ?

Miguel75
23-Feb-2011
2:57:20 PM
Do I have to wear pants?
bones
23-Feb-2011
3:07:27 PM
On 23/02/2011 davidn wrote:
>If no one in the group has a car, my advice would be not to join it.

we have a car and go to araps/gramps about once a month
Olbert
23-Feb-2011
3:50:03 PM
On 23/02/2011 Miguel75 wrote:
>Do I have to wear pants?

Rule 3: Under no circumstances shall pants be required to be worn; further they should be abhorred and members of the group are encouraged to actively protest against the tyranny of pants.

will5686
23-Feb-2011
3:50:09 PM
>On 23/02/2011 davidn wrote:
>>If no one in the group has a car, my advice would be not to join it.
>
>we have a car and go to araps/gramps about once a month

I think I just bought a car off ebay - so once I see how getting a RWC etc goes, I might possibly have a car too. Not having a car is the thing keeping me from climbing, everyone says it is a cheap sport (you know - nature is free), but they are wrong!

wallwombat
23-Feb-2011
4:21:30 PM
>Cripes! Who buys cars off ebay of all places??

I know two people who have bought really good cars off ebay for bargain prices and that was over 4 years ago. Both cars are still going strong.

wallwombat
23-Feb-2011
4:24:57 PM

>Like lots of people I work full time in Melbourne, love climbing outdoors
>and do it whenever I can, and enjoy training but can't seem to maintain
>a training program for more than a couple of months at a time. I feel like
>I start a new training program every week

Read Dave McLeod's book '9 out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes' . He covers this problem in detail and provides clues to solving it.

will5686
23-Feb-2011
5:38:23 PM
>Cripes! Who buys cars off ebay of all places??

It was super cheap, I reckon I could sell it on for more than I paid for it. And I'm lazy... and I don't have a car to drive around doing inspections in. It's a gamble, but only a $1300 one.
Wendy
23-Feb-2011
6:11:30 PM
$1300 will fund a year of climbing in SE Asia. Or buy an awful lot of bus tickets to Horsham. And an almost indefinate amount of time in the Pines.

Gavo
23-Feb-2011
6:28:20 PM
On 23/02/2011 Wendy wrote:
>$1300 will fund a year of climbing in SE Asia. Or buy an awful lot of bus
>tickets to Horsham. And an almost indefinate amount of time in the Pines.

:) :) :)

Robbie
23-Feb-2011
6:41:17 PM
You must have a 12 step program! Get it mate! If you are recovering from any type of addiction, "let's say sexual," it is generally reffered to an anonamous program. What you are after is some kind of personal DEVELOPMENT group! Your signature or moto may be, "The Guns of Navarone...." Good luck with your quest. ;-)

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 38
There are 38 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints