Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Author
North American Adventure
argos44
6-Oct-2013
3:09:41 PM
We are just about to get onto the plane back to Australia after 3 months travelling and climbing around the USA and thought people might enjoy some pics.

Bought a $1500 minivan in Vancouver and started climbing in Squamish. From there we we climbed/visited in the following order.

Squamish
Lake Louise
Jasper
Revelstoke
Canmore
Glacier Nat Park (Montana)
Beehive peak (Montana)
Yellowstone
Tensleep, WY
Devils Tower, WY
City of Rocks, ID
Maple Canyon, UT
Moab, UT
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Yosemite, CA
Red Rocks, NV

We also met Alex Honnolds mum climbing at South Lake Tahoe and ended up spending a few days at her house. She is a lovely lady and also a keen climber.

It has been the most amazing experiences of my life and still can't believe how many places we got to climb.

Anyone that has always dreamed of a North American climbing trip - get out there and do it. I do count ourselves super lucky that the US government shutdown didn't affect us.

We have only been climbing for 2.5 years before this trip. Climbing up to 24 sport and 15 trad and had never set foot on granite and next to no crack climbing. We are leaving being pretty comfortable tackling a 5.10C crack or a 5.11 slab as well as sending a couple of 5.12a sports routes. Our climbing skill and experience had grown immensely from this trip, especially on Trad.

Check out our photos

Anyone looking for more info, send us an email at jasonmc44 at gmail.com

Cheers

Jason

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6-Oct-2013
3:24:53 PM
You have many great climbing photos in that link argos44.
Thanks for sharing, it is inspiring, but annoying me at the same time, due only having one life to live and not enough time to do it all !!
gfdonc
7-Oct-2013
12:27:06 AM
Hi Jason,
We are currently in the States and have bookings for Yosemite next week but are drawing up a plan B. South Lake Tahoe (or North) is on the radar, any additional suggestions would be helpful. It's going to be cold Wednesday/Thursday.
regards

argos44
7-Oct-2013
12:37:06 AM
It was getting pretty cold there a week ago. Lovers Leap stays in the shade most of the day so rule that out. The campsite and day use area is closed but you can still climb there.

A better choice is phantom spires down eagle lake rd, it gets heaps of sun and has some fun climbing. The road in is pretty rough but we got there n a normal car with no problems. Some ok campsites there as well but no facilities. There is also Sugarloaf a bit further past eagle lake rd.

Jason
climberman
7-Oct-2013
8:08:33 AM
Great pics, looks like a stupidly good trip!
gfdonc
7-Oct-2013
11:46:13 AM
Thanks J, that's a help. Still holding out that Congress will pass something tomorrow & we'll be in the Valley on Tuesday as planned - but absolutely not counting on it.
Steve
mikllaw
7-Oct-2013
2:33:47 PM
Great trip, see yuo when you do a southern states Australian tour
argos44
7-Oct-2013
2:58:19 PM
Mikl - That's all I can think about now, I'm not looking forward to a stinking Darwin buildup and wet season.

pmonks
8-Oct-2013
3:39:36 PM
On 7/10/2013 gfdonc wrote:
>We are currently in the States and have bookings for Yosemite next week
>but are drawing up a plan B. South Lake Tahoe (or North) is on the radar,
>any additional suggestions would be helpful. It's going to be cold Wednesday/Thursday.

I was supposed to be in the Valley this weekend too but bailed, in large part due to the shutdown (which doesn't look like finishing before the weekend - stoopid fuggin politicians!!!!). The group I was going with were thinking of heading up to Pinecrest (Sonora Pass) instead. It's pretty high elevation though and is going to be a bit on the cold side (30 - 75).

Tahoe has loads of good options, so is always a good backup plan, if not exactly world class. The East Side (Owens River Gorge + endless world class bouldering) is worth a look if you haven't been there - mostly single pitch sport.

If you come through SF and want to hit one of the local crags, let me know - pmonks AT gmail.
gfdonc
12-Oct-2013
2:59:45 AM
Hey thanks for the offer.
We are up in Truckee. No chance of the parks opening but we're making the most of it. It snowed heavily Wednesday morning but we still got an afternoon climb in.

Our bartender that night (everyone is a climber here it seems) raved about Corrugation Corner at Lover's Leap, so we braved the cold and did it yesterday. 3 layers and I still had numb hands on the first pitch, but it got better. Sensational crag and route. The campground is closed (toilets are locked) but there's still a bunch of climbers there, mostly Yosemite refugees it seems.

Doug
12-Oct-2013
2:18:57 PM
On 12/10/2013 gfdonc wrote:
>Our bartender that night (everyone is a climber here it seems) raved about
>Corrugation Corner at Lover's Leap, so we braved the cold and did it yesterday.
> 3 layers and I still had numb hands on the first pitch, but it got better.
> Sensational crag and route.
>
If it warms up and you're still around you might like to go back to Lovers Leap and do Hospital Corner. Shorter and harder than CC but great pro the whole way. And then of course there is The Line, one of the best 5.9's you will ever do.
argos44
12-Oct-2013
3:53:23 PM
Can definitely reccomend 'hospital corner' and 'the line', both great climbs. 'Power lust' was pretty awesome as well as 'east corner'. Travellers buttress is another amazing line and a '50 classic'.

Jason
gfdonc
14-Oct-2013
8:02:11 AM
Thanks. Only got a 'taste' of Lover's Leap - we were based in Truckee and it was 1hr 20 each way, so we just spent the one day. Worth going back.

Just had two days at Donner Summit, also excellent. Back in Au now.

Neil
14-Oct-2013
8:58:39 AM
We got the boot from yosemite too. Indian creek now. Fun times:

http://kateandneil.smugmug.com/Other-1

Lovers Leap was great fun and I concur with the recommendations above.

Although, yesterday we did Black Uhuru at the creek. OMG that is a corner!!!

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints