Mostly bouldering 6
8% 

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
Author
What was your climbing ratio in 2012?
martym
4-Feb-2013
12:54:49 PM
Wow spectacular results - could it be that Chockstone is actually frequented by "climbers from Victoria?"

While I take M9s point (in another thread) that 252 people logged in on Friday - while less than 50 responded to the poll (It's anonymous people!) - these are still some revealing stats. I had assumed it'd be at least 50/50 if not more on the sport side of things...

I'm a member of a Uni Outdoor club - so a lot of my encounters are newbies and casual climbers who think trad gear is too technical and scary... so perhaps my view of the "average Aussie climber" is skewed.

If only we had some decent poll software we could do an awesome study to see what the Aussie Climbing Community is really made up of.
JDB
4-Feb-2013
3:01:20 PM
Couch 90% : Trad 10%
technogeekery
4-Feb-2013
4:07:07 PM
I managed to get outside more than usual in 2012. I just returned from 4 years overseas, and had most of the year off work, so got to explore a lot of cliffs in NSW/ACT. I've climbed easy trad and some sport at Barrenjoey, Mt Piddington, Mt Boyce, Dam Caves, The Cathedral, Bangor, Booroomba, Point Perp, the Wolgan, Sydney Sea Cliffs and lots of poxy little rocks around Sydney. I've trained in the gym quite regularly as well, probably averaging weekly (50+ visits) over the year, although I was trying for twice weekly. I haven't really improved much at all, but have staved off both middle aged creep and The Fear for another year, while exploring lots of great places and turning my two boys into enthusiastic gym & outdoor climbers. Its been a good year.

2013 will be harder, as I'm working again - but I'll try to stick to my gym routine, and see if I can get the family more involved too, as that is the key to getting in weekends on the rock.

Groveller
4-Feb-2013
4:35:33 PM
Should have a section for those who want to go climbing all the time. Only time I don't is at the end of a hard days climbing. And when I can't walk or hold anything on the next day.
bones
4-Feb-2013
4:58:06 PM
my ratios are much better than a normal year thanks to an awesome 6 month world climbing trip, with heaps of everything. Probably 40% Trad, 40% Sport, 10% indoor, 5% real mountains and 5% bouldering. If I could do that evey year I'd be a happy man, but sadly I would normally have to settle for a lot more indoor and basically no mountains.
grangrump
4-Feb-2013
6:03:19 PM
On 4/02/2013 technogeekery wrote:
...>I haven't really improved much at all, but have staved off both middle
>aged creep and The Fear for another year

I think The Fear is worth several years in the gym
martym
5-Feb-2013
3:10:31 PM
On 4/02/2013 technogeekery wrote:
>2013 will be harder, as I'm working again - but I'll try to stick to my
>gym routine, and see if I can get the family more involved too, as that
>is the key to getting in weekends on the rock.

Looking forward to next year's poll....
Will_P
6-Feb-2013
12:41:07 PM
For 2012, 37 days outside on rock (the countless pre-dawn Burnley sessions and gym climbing don't count as 'climbing', it's 'training'), probably 3/4 trad, 1/4 sport. That's right, 10% of the year spent climbing. Sure, not as much as some, but for a desk-bound, tie-wearing, 9 - 5 public servant, that's not too bad. Off to a good start for 2013 - 14 days thus far.
martym
5-Mar-2013
12:50:48 PM
Interestingly - UKC have just posted their own poll.

Check this for labels:
3. What type of climber would you call yourself? choose one

• A Climber
  • A Trad Climber
  • A Sport Climber (bolted outdoor climbing)
  • A Boulderer
  • An Indoor Climber
  • An Ice Climber
  • An Alpinist
  • A Mountaineer
  • A Big Wall Climber
  • An Urban Climber (climbs buildings)
  • A Competition Climber

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
There are 29 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints